Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Building a straw bale house in Portugal

Building a straw bale house in Portugal

Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:41 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building a straw bale house in Portugal

We met a friend for coffee this morning who is an estate agent.
She is taking a client to a ruin in Tunes this morning which has project approval for an
"eco " house.
What exactly this means she has yet to discover.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:29 am
Account Closed

TeamSpirit is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Building a straw bale house in Portugal

Originally Posted by JonB1
Hi folks, we just joined the forum, so first of all, hi everyone!

My wife and myself want to self-build a straw bale house in Portugal. We have not decided on the area yet, but most likely north of Lisbon, or perhaps Coimbra.

I understand that building plans have to be submitted by a registered builder, so we are wondering how to go about getting our own plan approved. Also, how easy is it to get planning permission for unusual designs? The house will be environmentally friendly, extremely energy efficient, and built from locally sourced materials.

Any info on building regulations, attitude of local councils to eco-houses and possible pitfalls would be much appreciated.

Hi Jon, just wondering how you are getting on? We are just over the border in Spain but I think some aspects are relevant for both countries. IMHO what you really need to do is to get over to Portugal, seek out a piece of land you would be genuinely interesting in buying and then go to those specific authorities with your plans. As other members have indicated, it's going to be different with each town planner and that is not some figure you can ever get on paper, it's the personal relationship factor. If you get a town planner who's interested in eco, brilliant. If you get one who things concrete is the answer to everything, you're done.
I'd be really interested to know how things turn out as we are into eco everything as a way of life, but also coz of having a building company here. We don't do straw bale houses though and although I would love to support you wholeheartedly, having lived here for some time now, I really can't say I'm convinced they are a good idea in this climate. If you are sure they can be hermetically sealed, okay, but if you were to see the millions of ants that live in our walls and floors, the amount of rats and cockroaches you live with, without considering them to be at "problem" level, well, then you might reconsider straw. Are you sure those buildings in Marocco are free of vermin? You can't see that on a photo. I feel bad saying this as a fellow ecologist, but I know how much effort and cash building a house involves and you don't want to feel miserable in your only place of refuge in life! How about considering a compromise, perhaps earth foundations and foundation walls and then straw higher up? You can make your own unbaked clay (earth) "bricks" if you buy land in a clay soil area. We absolutely love the quality of life in a clay house, though it's obviously more time consuming to make yourselves. Good luck!
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

I was keen on a strawbale house once upon a time. But now lack capability, time and energy for such an enterprise. I did manage a 2m diametre earth bag round house a couple of years back but still need to finish the roof on it. I am sure you will get planning permission. Maybe you have talked to these Portuguese architects who help with this sort of thing - terrapalha terrapalha | estúdio de arquitectura. Good luck!
Old Jun 7th 2017, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
We have a new villa near us, built to the highest eco specs, came on a truck from Germany in kit form.
Its on the market for 1.2 million euros.
It took the builder years to get the necessary approvals.
Timber frame houses are rare and regarded as exotic, so straw bales, good luck but do not be suprised at the reaction you get from your local camara.
Was that a HUF house EMR?... We wanted to build one in NL.. would have got approval as they are excellent. Believe they fought them building here so they gave up.. Only to have a (Portuguese? ) company start up with a very similar name.. Haven't been aware of any being built though ..Due to fire risk. Interesting that you have one near you now

They do seem to be being more adventurous now though.. A local estate agent was showing us a property last week and 'huffing' about a 'steel framed' house that had just gone up No idea why that was bad..

Also love to know if the poster got his planning permission

Last edited by GeniB; Jun 7th 2017 at 6:53 am.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:08 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Was that a HUF house EMR?... We wanted to build one in NL.. would have got approval as they are excellent. Believe they fought them building here so they gave up.. Only to have a (Portuguese? ) company start up with a very similar name.. Haven't been aware of any being built though ..Due to fire risk. Interesting that you have one near you now

They do seem to be being more adventurous now though.. A local estate agent was showing us a property last week and 'huffing' about a 'steel framed' house that had just gone up No idea why that was bad..

Also love to know if the poster got his planning permission
The house in still unsold in an area where villas are goimg on the market and selling in just a few months.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

A steel framed house was build near me last year. After finishing, you can't see the difference. The owner told me it isn't cheaper than brick and cement, he just wanted to try it. It has a lot of insulation.
Yes, full planning permission too.

The roof is standard ceramic tile.

The structural sections are beams folded from thin galvanized plate, strong enough so long as water doesn't get in and cause corrosion.

I take an interest in this sort of thing.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 12:53 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by liveaboard
A steel framed house was build near me last year. After finishing, you can't see the difference. The owner told me it isn't cheaper than brick and cement, he just wanted to try it. It has a lot of insulation.
Yes, full planning permission too.

The roof is standard ceramic tile.

The structural sections are beams folded from thin galvanized plate, strong enough so long as water doesn't get in and cause corrosion.

I take an interest in this sort of thing.
Water ingress can be a problem.
We have friends who had a serious damp problem which was traced to water seeping through the external rendering and corroding the steelwork.
As you know when steel corrodes it expands creating gaps which allow water to penetrate.
This is not an issue with Aluminium but cost is.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

That's why my idea of a steel house is steel beams clad with 5mm plate, entirely welded.
The last one I made I used 12 tons of steel and did 1000 meters of welding. Door and window frames are steel too, welded into the cladding.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 10:18 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
That's why my idea of a steel house is steel beams clad with 5mm plate, entirely welded.
The last one I made I used 12 tons of steel and did 1000 meters of welding. Door and window frames are steel too, welded into the cladding.
Sounds lovely - I'll stick to taipa thanks.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Ecobuild is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone... I am in process of attempting to introduce the value of building with Industrial Hemp and I would be very interested to communicate with anyone that had experience in that field as I will be beginning the painful journey dealing with the local Camara... Feel free to contact me directly if you wish... (I am in the Faro area)
Old Jan 6th 2018, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

In love with forests is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ecobuild
Hello everyone... I am in process of attempting to introduce the value of building with Industrial Hemp and I would be very interested to communicate with anyone that had experience in that field as I will be beginning the painful journey dealing with the local Camara... Feel free to contact me directly if you wish... (I am in the Faro area)
I would be interested in hearing your progress. Would you be good enough to start a thread and update as you go along ?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

rhody is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
We have a new villa near us, built to the highest eco specs, came on a truck from Germany in kit form.
Its on the market for 1.2 million euros.
It took the builder years to get the necessary approvals.
Timber frame houses are rare and regarded as exotic, so straw bales, good luck but do not be suprised at the reaction you get from your local camara.
Sounds like a Huf Haus. May I ask where it is? Would like to look at the listing...