Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Britons abroad for more than 15 years can vote again!

Britons abroad for more than 15 years can vote again!

Old Jan 20th 2024, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britons abroad for more than 15 years can vote again!

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Nobody's going to guilt-trip me into not voting whenever I feel like it, especially as the Tories obviously feel it's to their advantage to include overseas voters beyond 15 years' absence.
Old Jan 20th 2024, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

And Portugal even has two electoral constituencies for those living abroad, one for in Europe and one for outside Europe, both with 2 MP's each

And Portuguese have full access to the SNS that we pay for (I do anyway, Govt takes 40% of my meagre wage) even when they live and pay tax abroad, not here
My neighbours live and work and pay tax in Switzerland, but for things not covered there they fly back.
We cant do that in the UK (and rightly so)
Old Jan 26th 2024, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Being an EU national but having lived and worked in the UK for over 50 years I am only permitted to vote in local elections. Fair enough I could have applied for British citizenship but I didn't. However should Brits residing abroad be allow to give proxy votes to a family member so that they can use the vote in local and/or mayoral elections? Is is right to give family members extra votes if local voters only get one? Also every voter has to bring a photo ID while Brits abroad have to upload a signature. This voting system is wide open to misuse. My god the Tories must be desperate.
Old Jan 27th 2024, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NataHH
Being an EU national but having lived and worked in the UK for over 50 years I am only permitted to vote in local elections. Fair enough I could have applied for British citizenship but I didn't. However should Brits residing abroad be allow to give proxy votes to a family member so that they can use the vote in local and/or mayoral elections? Is is right to give family members extra votes if local voters only get one? Also every voter has to bring a photo ID while Brits abroad have to upload a signature. This voting system is wide open to misuse. My god the Tories must be desperate.
I can only vote in local elections here in Portugal too
But I can vote at a national level when I get my PT passport (when I have finally steeled myself up for the bureaucracy-a-thon) as I think you can in the UK, no?
But TBH I wouldn't vote here as there are no alternatives that I would like to think I had voted for
https://www.portugalresident.com/min...ternal-bother/
https://www.portugalresident.com/no-...ques-decision/
https://www.portugalresident.com/reg...ure-to-resign/
https://www.portugalresident.com/che...he-for-police/
etc
etc
etc
Mind you, I think some of the UK politicians must have been here for coaching ...
https://boris-johnson-lies.com/
https://www.waterstones.com/book/the.../9781398501003 (Peter Oborne, previously of Spectator, Daily Mail and Telegraph ...)

If you cant have dual passport (which would have been your country's and the UK's decision) then you would have to make a choice

"Is is right to give family members extra votes"
Eh? That's not how it works

My mum definitely doesn't get to use my vote!
One of the other reason's I vote is to negate hers
I did get her to do it as my proxy before, really wound her up
Old Jan 27th 2024, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just found this in the Q&A section - it seems that Brits abroad cannot vote in local elections Q. Which elections can I vote in under this new legislation?

A. You can vote in any Parliamentary election. This includes general elections and by-elections. Referendums are also likely to be included as the franchise for the 2016 Brexit referendum was the same as for national elections. We still cannot vote in local elections and there are different rules for the Stormont, Senedd and Holyrood elections, in NI, Wales and Scotland.

Old Jan 27th 2024, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Because my daughter and grandson living in that country, I care about what happens?
Old Jan 29th 2024, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Well, on the one hand there are those ex-pats who found themselves disadvantaged by dint of the Brexit referendum, although that might be balanced by those who, whilst residing in the EU, seem to think they are doing it a favour. On the other hand, there are those who support the idea of a Britain that was so good, they decided to leave it yers ago - and will vote for a government that won't generally affect them, but spends money that they don't contribute. Perhaps they would change their minds if the UK taxed them for the privilege of their citizenship, like the USA does.....

PS - I'm an Irish citizen resident in the UK.... I don't vote in Irish elections.
I fully agree with you, I am an Australian citizen living in England and I would not dream of voting in matters in Australia that concern people actually living in Australia and I also contributed to the Australian tax system and I still would not vote.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 1:15 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I fully agree with you, I am an Australian citizen living in England and I would not dream of voting in matters in Australia that concern people actually living in Australia and I also contributed to the Australian tax system and I still would not vote.
The UK government wants those of us who live abroad to vote in UK elections. They were voted into office on a manifesto which included a pledge to give votes for life to UK citizens overseas, so it's also The Will of The People which, as we know, must not be contravened.

I consider it my patriotic duty to vote in UK general elections now that the UK people have expressed their will and the sovereign UK Parliament has granted it.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

The UK government wants those of us who live abroad to vote in UK elections. They were voted into office on a manifesto which included a pledge to give votes for life to UK citizens overseas, so it's also The Will of The People which, as we know, must not be contravened.

I consider it my patriotic duty to vote in UK general elections now that the UK people have expressed their will and the sovereign UK Parliament has granted it.
In that case, perhaps you should be posting somewhere else - this is an EXpat Forum !
Old Jan 29th 2024, 7:29 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dafty
In that case, perhaps you should be posting somewhere else - this is an EXpat Forum !
Ex patriates' forum not ex patriots.

It's perfectly permissible to be a patriotic expat. Our country is demanding it. We need to heed the call.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

Ex patriates' forum not ex patriots.

It's perfectly permissible to be a patriotic expat. Our country is demanding it. We need to heed the call.
Not my country anymore - I don,t expect to have my cake AND eat it.

Old Jan 30th 2024, 7:06 am
Polished expat

Well it's not really a matter of what you or I expect, is it? It's a matter of a change to legislation brought about by the ruling party of the day, after research and consultation, and which has been welcomed and endorsed by the Electoral Commission.

You're perfectly entitled to take no interest in it if that's the way you feel but I'm not sure why there's so much needle about those who are going to avail themselves of their vote, as though they are somehow going to be doing something underhand.
Old Jan 30th 2024, 7:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Your decision, your free choice. Others may choose differently and that is their free choice.

Well it's not really a matter of what you or I expect, is it? It's a matter of a change to legislation brought about by the ruling party of the day, after research and consultation, and which has been welcomed and endorsed by the Electoral Commission.

You're perfectly entitled to take no interest in it if that's the way you feel but I'm not sure why there's so much needle about those who are going to avail themselves of their vote, as though they are somehow going to be doing something underhand.
I agree with you. Legislation changes over time and we either embrace it or simply ignore it. Free choice, Some choose to take up the opportunity whilst others may not. No shame either way.

Rosemary
Old Jan 30th 2024, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

So let's move on.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I tried. I filled in the online form and clicked submit and then a week or so later received an email saying they couldn’t find me at my last address before I left the uk in 1990. So I replied and gave them my address before the one I’d submitted and they replied again saying I need to provide proof of living there (I was actually born there) such as a gas bill or similar otherwise my application would not be accepted. Why would I have a gas bill from pre 1990 (and we didn’t have gas). Looks like no one will get my vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.