Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

British Wills in Portugal

British Wills in Portugal

Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of
Default Re: British Wills in Portugal

Originally Posted by spinny
:Is there any more info on the Will saga I did read you can go direct to the Notary´s office cost under 400 euros (for two ) anyone done this in central Portugal
That is what we did, translating our English will and adding a pprovisorythat if there were any discrepancies we wanted our estate divided in accordance with our English will. The notary seemed to think this was OK. This was in Tavira and years ago before the EU. I think it should be easier now. Why not ring the British Consul and ask?
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

spinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: British Wills in Portugal

Originally Posted by anna58
That is what we did, translating our English will and adding a pprovisorythat if there were any discrepancies we wanted our estate divided in accordance with our English will. The notary seemed to think this was OK. This was in Tavira and years ago before the EU. I think it should be easier now. Why not ring the British Consul and ask?
Thank you very much
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice
Default Re: British Wills in Portugal

The question of wills seems to be still unclear, according to who you speak with and also where you are in PT.

I spoke again to our lawyer when signing the contracts for our house and she again said an English will translated would be accepted in Portugal, however, it could take 2 to 3 years to get it through the legal system.

Certainly the cost of a will in Portugal is very high compared to the UK or Spain. Legal costs overall in PT seem to be much higher than Spain. When we bought our house in Menorca in 1998, the Notary costs were about 50,000 pesetas (300 euros). Here a week ago, we received an invoice for 3,000 euros. Is this typically, can anyone tell me?

Back to the question of wills, I think we will opt for Portuguese ones, although we are unhappy about not being able to include grandchildren.

BB