Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

BMW lights in Portugal

BMW lights in Portugal

Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default BMW lights in Portugal

I haven't been stopped in the past while driving in France for not using beam deflectors on the xenon lights of my BMW.
The handbook states thus:
"The light distribution of the xenon headlights automatically avoids dazzling drivers of oncoming vehicles if you are driving in countries where the traffic drives on the opposite side of the road to the country in which your car is registered."
So therefore those deflector things you can buy are no good.
Will the Portuguese (or Spanish) give me a hard time?
Also - I plan to import my car to Portugal in the future so again I shouldn't have to get any modifications done to pass the test needed for matriculation?
Please - does anyone have any experience of this issue or suggestions?
Thanks in anticipation!
Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BMW lights in Portugal

Probably the best way to approach it is to try to get a letter from BMW confirming they design of headlight is acceptable to be used when driving on the right hand side of the road........ and then hope the guy doing the matriculation inspection accepts it.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

To the op I have asked the same question re range rover headlights and not really had a satisfactory conclusion , the headlights you have most likely have a lever which you operate into the position for driving on the 'wrong' side of the road to stop dazzling oncoming traffic , if they don't have this you may have problems and need to fit lhd headlights.
When it comes to me coming over I plan to operate the lever and adjust the lights manually to give a correct as possible beam pattern and hope it goes through the test ok if not its going to be quite expensive , my headlights are auto adjusting xenons too but do have a manual adjustment lever inside the assembly.
Eta we both may be okay

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/801658011/headlights-point-right-in-europe/

Last edited by dingg; Jan 31st 2018 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

I do not know what model our age your BMW is but my 3 series has a lever to switch from left to right. The handbook also states what you have said, which is that you do not need to adjust them as they adjust by themselves. However, the lever is a way to manually set the preference. It was not easy to find the lever and also not clear which way it should be pushed, so I suggest you pop into a BMW garage and get someone to show you what to do.
Once you know you will be one up on any police that stop you. What will happen when you try and matriculate, not sure. Ask a BMW garage in portugal.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, the headlight test during the matriculation inspection is the same as the annual IPO/MOT inspection so if they shine where they're meant to, I'd expect the vehicle to pass.

No guarantees though. ;(