Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

beds, linen, cutlery etc any suggestions near Vilamoura

beds, linen, cutlery etc any suggestions near Vilamoura

Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:02 am
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: beds, linen, cutlery etc any suggestions near Vilamoura

EMR we humans are complex and sometimes we make errors in our romantic and political positions and God-willing, as we educate ourselves along life's journey we have the grace to change our viewpoint sometimes even a 180-degree change of belief on a particular subject. But hopefully ones mistaken beliefs in youth don't negate a persons successful works. I can't/won't defend what the founder of IKEA believed in politically the 1940s-1950s. I like IKEA and I like that he built a wee start-up into a Global success. That's all.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:04 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
So where is the problem over them clearing the land????
Because it us an environmentally sensitive site and they do not have the permits to start construction.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Because it us an environmentally sensitive site and they do not have the permits to start construction.
To quote your post
"even though the necessary permits HAD been granted"
Old Jul 20th 2015, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Machiavellian flavour!?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munsterfan
Yes GeniB, I agree that BIG is not always better. IKEA is a good company on the whole. It doesn't have the Machiavellian flavour that (for example) Wal-Mart in the USA does. And yes, some products are not 'best buy' items. But in general if you know the store and its products you thoughtfully buy the 'value' items just as you would at a local market or shop. For me sometimes the things I want I can only get at IKEA so off I go for a familiar adventure which for over 30-years always includes those yummy meatballs and lingonberry jam for lunch!
And a small note; I LOVE that this young 17-year old Swedish lad from a small village, during WWII, had the chutzpah to start a mail order business and grow it into a global success (still privately held)! Yes, I like, love, respect this kind of entrepreneurial spirit very much. The majority of the food production for IKEA still takes place in Sweden by small and medium manufacturers and they were early initiators of having a 'play area' for shoppers to drop off their children while shopping.
OK that's it for my championing of entrepreneurs for today...it's getting HOT again and I must prepare for this, today's idea is to lay down in a shady area with the sprinkler on my tummy...hhmmmmm we'll see how this works
You naughty person!! to remind me of the Lingonberries..Like you I lived with Ikea on my doorstep for over 30 yrs (Eindhoven NL) I liked to go and have the salmon and new potatoes with delicious sauce .Loved the crisp breads and the herrings in dill sauce ..yummy ..Also know the story of the company .My SIL is Finnish and this attitude is not unusual in these Nordic countries where they put families first...I just want to see the economy of the Portuguese improve ,plenty of wonderful innovators here they just don't get the publicity they deserve .Its a real problem..They don't know how to sell themselves.
We should start a . Did you know? post of all the things the Portuguese produce and where they sell them...
Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:33 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

GeniB...lets start a new POST, I think you are SO right. I LOVE THIS IDEA!!
I've only been here 6-months (today) but what a bit of American/ International ingenuity could do here to help start-ups and young businesses get recognized and sell their stuff! WHY NOT?

EXAMPLE: On my way to my Vet in Amancil, I spotted a hand written sign in front of a tiny shop on the N125, which said 'Portuguese Craft Beers'...I barely saw it, I said to meself, I'm going to stop in there on my way back. So I did. OMG what an interesting business concept...the shop was full of alcoholic drinks all MADE IN PORTUGAL; Gins, beers, liqueurs etc., etc. not a handmade knitted thingy anywhere just really cool drink!
But it was poorly set up, very rough and when I tried to buy nearly E100 worth of goodies... they had no service to take even a Debit Card. I said well let's go online and you send me a PayPal invoice and I'll buy your stuff this way...Nope couldn't do this.
They said they weren't getting enough customers to pay for the credit card service...I explained my order alone would have covered a good part of the bank fees.
They suggested I turn my car around and drive to (and back) an ATM about 6 blocks away. HMMMMMMMM!
They ran a print 'info-advert' in one of the English language newspapers...nearly 1/2 page and "didn't get one customer" from the advert. Gee, I explained that when you run print advertising you must think in terms of MONTHS of consistent advertising to get a response and 75% of the advertisements value is in BRANDING your business name and service to potential customers AND each advert must also have a 'call-to-action' such as; 'Come to our shop every Thursday (this month only) between 6pm-8pm for craft beer 'tasting', mention this advertisement and get 25% off a 6-pack and enter a drawing for a Portuguese bottle of Gin'. I also suggested they provide yummy snacks. They said they could not afford this. I smacked the top of my forehead... Goodness Me!!!! I said that perhaps they get a local café looking to increase business to donate the snack-type food and give out coupons to their café'....WHY NOT?
So, yes, I'd love to help find a way to promote Portuguese businesses. I'll help. How about free seminars on HOW TO PROMOTE YOUR PRODUCTS/ SERVICE?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:49 pm
Smokn Joy

Quick thought: Maybe we set up a free seminar for entrepreneurs to attend but first they must send us a letter/email that describes their craft/business/venture. We select and invite to attend the ones that have a chance (I know a judgment call but so is business). Then we gather a few folks with business building skills and set up a 'Pane'l to answer questions from the audience OR have several tables and one person with a specific skill heading each table. Each entrepreneur gets 5(+) minutes with each Mentor to ask questions. One Mentor may be skilled in Marketing, another Sales, another Branding and Promotion, another Seed Funding...etc...kind a like a 'Speed Dating' format......hmmmm

We can also set up a WordPress site linked to other more powerful Websites and get recognition for these businesses this way as well. ...just brainstorming...but lets start a new POST here and see if our fellow Expats have some cool ideas?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:17 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munsterfan
Quick thought: Maybe we set up a free seminar for entrepreneurs to attend but first they must send us a letter/email that describes their craft/business/venture. We select and invite to attend the ones that have a chance (I know a judgment call but so is business). Then we gather a few folks with business building skills and set up a 'Pane'l to answer questions from the audience OR have several tables and one person with a specific skill heading each table. Each entrepreneur gets 5(+) minutes with each Mentor to ask questions. One Mentor may be skilled in Marketing, another Sales, another Branding and Promotion, another Seed Funding...etc...kind a like a 'Speed Dating' format......hmmmm

We can also set up a WordPress site linked to other more powerful Websites and get recognition for these businesses this way as well. ...just brainstorming...but lets start a new POST here and see if our fellow Expats have some cool ideas?
There are a number of trade fairs in the Algarve throughout the year including local wine and beer festivals.
Next month sees the largest the Fatacil in Lagoa , well worth a visit for anyone new to the Algarve.
Portuguese business is not very internet save, remember in the Algarve they are trying to service locals and nationals from a multitude if countries all with their own ideas of what constitutes good service.
If you intend doing anything like promotion first become an expert on the mind numbing beaurocracy that anyone trying to set up a business in Portugal has to overcome.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:27 pm
Smokn Joy

good idea...will do that!
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 12:07 am
Just Joined

mark93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for all the advice. To be honest given we only had a short time we went for a mixture of local and large stores but all local to algarve, didn't make it to ikea. Love the lively discussion and the tip for craft beer. I've become well acquainted with the 125 and will keep and eye out for the sign whatever the new format 😀.

Thanks again
Mark
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Weird, 34k view, that's not right?
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I was a tad puzzled by that as well Mark