Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Barclays Bank Europe

Barclays Bank Europe

Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barclays Bank Europe

The latest move by Barclays sh** bank is to slowly close all UK accounts of expats in 70 countries. The countries have not yet been named. Unless they have £100,000-00 in the account even though the govt guarantee is set at present to £80,000-00 and will fall to £75,000-00.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

No, You can't say that!

Mugabe has not necessarily "stolen" all the elections.

Although it has been impossible to verify all and every election results, there is no doubt in my mind that there has, is and will continue to be overwhelming support for him and his successors from the rural Shona and the ageing Chimurenga fighters and their kin.

This is the main reason the country will continue to go to the dogs until there is a "Tanzanian" type epiphany and a younger generation become influentiial, perhaps 20 years hence, when the realisation dawns among the Shona that Moçambique, Zambia, Botswana and the Republic are way ahead of Zimbabwe socially, politically and economically.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
No, You can't say that!

Mugabe has not necessarily "stolen" all the elections.

Although it has been impossible to verify all and every election results, there is no doubt in my mind that there has, is and will continue to be overwhelming support for him and his successors from the rural Shona and the ageing Chimurenga fighters and their kin.

This is the main reason the country will continue to go to the dogs until there is a "Tanzanian" type epiphany and a younger generation become influentiial, perhaps 20 years hence, when the realisation dawns among the Shona that Moçambique, Zambia, Botswana and the Republic are way ahead of Zimbabwe socially, politically and economically.
Actually I can say just that. I can express any opinion I like & I don't need your (or anyone else's) permission to say anything I like.

I'll add that if you believe he didn't steal the elections then you've simply gotta be a trifle naive to say the VERY least.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I lived and fought in Bush with the Rhiodesian Forces in Darwin District and in the Zambesi Valley for over a year and worked for both the Rhodesian and Zimbabwean Govt. until I left the latter after a few years as I could not accept the Massacres in Matabeleland.

I KNOW VERY WELL THE SITUATION!! SO BUTT OUT!
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I lived and fought in Bush with the Rhiodesian Forces in Darwin District and in the Zambesi Valley for over a year and worked for both the Rhodesian and Zimbabwean Govt. until I left the latter after a few years as I could not accept the Massacres in Matabeleland.

Did you know Tim Calvert, Peter Cole and Steve Kluzniak at all?
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I'll express any opinion I like whether you like it or not........ oh and incidentally, I'm a bit of an old Africa hand myself but thanks for the attempted lecture.

Bye for now. (rolleyes)
Old Jul 25th 2015, 2:13 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

One if the most unpleasant men I have ever met was ex Rhodesian special forces, even south africa was too hot for him.
He too was an apologist for Mugabe.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

What does any of this have to do with banking in Portugal???
Old Jul 26th 2015, 7:34 am
Banned

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said.

This thread was started this for people who bank with Barclays and may need to make some sort of decision regarding future banking arrangements.

I used to bank with Barclays in Tavira and at the end of each visit would go into them and put in any remaining euro's to keep my account in credit. Having a local bank was what I wanted. (yes, I do use the multibank and bank online) but if I had spare cash I did not want to go into Faro.

The possible contenders for taking them over do not have a facility in Tavira or I expect much of Portugal so the question is, "who should we consider moving to" and any suggestions welcome.

JohnB
Old Jul 26th 2015, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Why not simply go the route most do and have a UK or even better, offshore (Jersey/IoM) UKP account and a local Euro account with Millennium or other local bank and just use ebanking to move money between the two and ATMs for cash.

I haven't checked the accuracy of the statement but I'm told that Millennium is rated as the safest bank in Portugal and it's Millennium that we use.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 7:50 am
Banned

Thanks for the reply however, cash is king and when we have some that we do not need, its easier to change it into euro's and put into our euro bank account.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

If you just want a € account then I personally find Millennium to be very good indeed,.

Efficient, polite, English speaking staff abound and their (English) online banking system is a doddle to use.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:18 am
Banned

Thank you.

That is the sort of information I was seeking.

Can I ask, what is the monthly account charge?

JohnB
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

I've no idea but it'll be on their website.

My guess is it'll depend on the type of account and how much you keep in it. - Probably something like if it's a normal current account and you keep €5k in it, you'll get free banking but if less than €5k they'll charge you €5 or €10 per month.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds as if Millennium would fit the bill as a better option to Barclays in Tavira.

Will check them out when I get back to PT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.