Barbecues

Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:04 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Barbecues

Been thinking about buying a new gas barbie. However, (and this is silly question time) if I buy one here will I be able to get the replacement gas cylinders in Portugal? Are the fittings the same? The ones I have been looking at run on propane gas; is this available over there?

Look forward to your advice guys'n'gals
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:23 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbecues

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog
Been thinking about buying a new gas barbie. However, (and this is silly question time) if I buy one here will I be able to get the replacement gas cylinders in Portugal? Are the fittings the same? The ones I have been looking at run on propane gas; is this available over there?

Look forward to your advice guys'n'gals
Not sure about PT, but in Spain its Butane used, don`t bring the bottle though because they have totally dirrerent fittings, you can get new ones easily and a refill is about 11€ here in Spain, valve about 7€`s, possibly cheaper in PT.
There is not a lot of difference in the gasses unless its cold enough for the gas to freeze and it would run on either, INFO HERE
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:29 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Barbecues

Thanks JDR,

but I've thought of another question - would I be better off waiting until I get out there and buy one there? How do prices compare
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Barbecues

Propane and Butane are both readily available in just about every town / village since most houses use them for the hob in the kitchen.

New hoses also readily available and have to be changed every year or two - they are usually have an "expiry date" printed on them (just done mine ion the kitchen). Couplings readily available. Don't know if they're different to the UK.

But about the main barbecue - if you do insist on gas prices depend on quality, but are pretty much universally higher than the UK, as is just about all technology and imported goods. But factor in the cost / aggro of bringing it over on top of the lower UK cost.

I'm a charcoal man and have used Weber barbs for years. I decided to treat myself to a new one when we moved here and got it from Zonda http://www.zonda-thebbqshop.com/index.php who have a good range but are expensive (being based in "little Britain" of course). Given that you're in Tavira, there's also an easily-accessible shop in Ayamonte that do Weber and they're a bit cheaper due to Spanish IVA etc.

The big hardware stores (Leroy Merlin etc.) also have some products at lower prices and they seem perfectly OK, although the range is limited because most houses have a built-in charcoal BBQ so demand is fairly low.

Obviously, if you get a product over here and have any problems then it's easier to get it fixed than one you brought over yourself.

Just my euros worth.

Graeme
Old Jul 7th 2007, 1:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JDR,

but I've thought of another question - would I be better off waiting until I get out there and buy one there? How do prices compare
I would go with grc, it would save you hassle buying it in PT, costwise and if any problem arose with it later.
I don`t think you can beat a charcoal one either. ;-))
Old Jul 8th 2007, 7:56 am
Just Joined

joandroy is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Barbecues

I think most of the points re Gas BBQ's have already been covered, but thought I would add my sixpence worth. We have a small appt/balcony in Santa Luzia (just outside Tavira). We were told we couldn't have a coal BBQ by the builders, but they had no objections to a gas one. We managed to get a reasonable size one from a Lidl special for 90€, which came with all the fittings including the regulator.
I hiked round every petrol station and hardware shop from Tavira to Olhao trying to find a gas bottle it fitted without success and ended up buying a new regulator that fitted BP Propane for 10€ (bizabizarrelym the small bike shop just across the Roman footbridge in Tavira). Apparently the regulator it came with fitted gas bottles in Spain!
Would like to point out that the regulators are not universal and once you have one, it seems it will only go with one type of bottle, our BP Propane regulator will not fit BP Butane, or any other make of bottle, so may be worth finding out, what is the cheaper gas you can get and go with that.
The same BBQ we brought was also available in Leroy Marvin for 140€ so again, shopping around can help costs.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:12 pm
C'est la vie

Thanks to everyone for your input. As for the gas v charcoal argument, I've never had a gas one before but have been converted. Now I'm not so sure.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:18 am
C'est la vie

Had a barbie yesterday for the first time in a coon's age so decided to resurrect this thread.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:31 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Had a barbie yesterday for the first time in a coon's age so decided to resurrect this thread.
In a what age?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point

But was it a charcoal or gas barbs ?

Graeme
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:38 am
C'est la vie

Originally Posted by GRC
But was it a charcoal or gas barbs ?

Graeme
Check the first post. I was asking about the relative merits of buying a gas barbie in PT or buying one over here and bringing it over.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:51 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Check the first post. I was asking about the relative merits of buying a gas barbie in PT or buying one over here and bringing it over.
Your post is a gas, but I,m still confused!!
Yeah! Derby. "In a what age"?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:25 pm
C'est la vie

No it isn't racial. Coon is short for racoon. The expression dates back to the early 1800s and the folk belief that raccoons are long-lived.