Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

selling power to EDP

selling power to EDP

Old Apr 8th 2017, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default selling power to EDP

Just wondering what the current situation is regarding current selling.
Is there profit without subsidies?
Does EDP accept new connections / contracts?
What is the buy in rate?
What is there to stop me from installing any amount of solar panels?

I assume there must be some bureaucratic reason it can't be done.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: selling power to EDP

From my own research of the same subject the info I have is ...

New connections are possible
Buy in rate is around 4cents per KWH
I am told that even if no grid tie is done one still needs to get permission or 'licence' from the EDP to install panels even if you use everything you make yourself.
EDP own 'system' prices are way off market rate for panels as if you shop around you can get down to 50cents per watt.
Its becoming cost effective in payback terms to put in three panels to run a pool pump and perhaps a further dozen panels to run house air conditioning if you are a permanent PT resident through the summer.

The only people making profit from selling back their generated power are those that applied for and were granted a fixed tariff a few years ago and installed (very expensive) equipment at that time. All prices since then have tumbled

Last edited by MrBife; Apr 8th 2017 at 2:14 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is relevant or not but EDP had an ad on their website a few weeks ago that offered two solar panels of about 300 w each for €700 and it said surplus electricity not used by the owner would be absorbed into their system BUT they didn't pay the owner for it.

I haven't looked but the ad might still be there.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Not sure if this is relevant or not but EDP had an ad on their website a few weeks ago that offered two solar panels of about 300 w each for €700 and it said surplus electricity not used by the owner would be absorbed into their system BUT they didn't pay the owner for it.

I haven't looked but the ad might still be there.
Sounds interesting. So the surplus goes into their system and we can take it back when we need it?
Old Nov 25th 2017, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
Sounds interesting. So the surplus goes into their system and we can take it back when we need it?
Not quite! EDP takes your surplus (no matter how large or small) and pays you nothing for it. When you need more than you produce you can buy as much as you like, though they briefly give you 10% of their off-peak rates at night.

They're now offering lithium batteries too.

https://www.edp.pt/particulares/servicos/solar-energy/
Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

We have small cottage in Spain off-grid. We are self-supporting (holidays only and without washing machine) with only 3 small 80 Watt panels and 1 12v batterie.
In Portimao we have an ideal flat roof for some panels.

I pay 20 eur (or more) per month during 36 months for the panels and installation. After those 3 years they are mine, I presume.

Last edited by Pilou; Nov 26th 2017 at 7:05 am.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

I found the price to pay to EDP when you want to have a lithium batterie:
You pay EUR 9000 (60 months 150). You save up to 50%. When you normally pay 60, you save 30 per month. In 60 months time you save only 1800 EUR.
See http://www.edp.pt/particulares/servi...ergy/batteries

I am not sure yet, but who wants to do this?
Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:31 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends currently analysing their usage during the day when in theory the solar generated power would cover it and then that during the hours of darkness when they would be buying EDP supplied power.
During the winter, heating, lighting, tv, power to cook etc would have to be paid for.
In the summer aircon ,fan usage also to be paid for.
Only when this analysis is complete will they know if the EDP solar package is of any benefit.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

For us not being here in the summer months, it has nu use to investigate this.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Solar panels generate electricity through light, not heat. I would have thought there were enough daylight hours during 'Winter' in Portugal, to generate electricity.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to know what's going on regarding Solar Technology, take a look at "FULLY CHARGED" on YouTube, moderated by Robert Llewelyn. Batteries and Battery tech. are about to revolutionise the whole thing.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Overstone1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

It good to have storage batteries for night use otherwise panels are just for day light use the company did us a great job not edp
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:43 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Solar panels generate electricity through light, not heat. I would have thought there were enough daylight hours during 'Winter' in Portugal, to generate electricity.
The sun goes down early in winter so unless you have a means of storing electricity you will be buying from edp at your times of highest use.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Overstone1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
The sun goes down early in winter so unless you have a means of storing electricity you will be buying from edp at your times of highest use.
I never used edp I brought a system off a company with storage batt as well works well
Old Nov 29th 2017, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
There are storage options open to one and the daylight hours are by no means as short as the UK. Vanadium redox flow batteries are particularly interesting. Lithium is also a good option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.