Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Bank Accounts for Non-Residents

Bank Accounts for Non-Residents

Old Oct 30th 2016, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

KateB8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank Accounts for Non-Residents

I am looking to open a bank account in Portugal. Principally with the purpose of saving as I plan to move there when I retire. I am British, living and working in the Middle East.

Can you tell me the procedures and what documentation I will need. I am scheduled to go to Lisbon in the next two weeks, so I'd like to be forearmed.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Accounts for Non-Residents

The only Portuguese paperwork you need is a fiscal/NIF number which takes about 20 minutes & a few Euros to obtain from a fiscal office which is usually in or near the Camara/Town Hall...... They'll also need to see your passport & require an address but not necessarily a Portuguese address.

If you need a recommendation for a bank, we use Millennium & find them very good indeed.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Thank you. I've looked on Google Maps for Lisbon and found the Camara Municipal down near the Commercial Square. That will be my first port of call.
Do they need any proof of your address; the only document with my address on is my driving licence.
Thank you for the recommendation; I will be looking for a savings account that give a good rate of interest.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:16 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The banks are now tightening regulations for non residents.
We have had an account for years but recently had to provide proof of our UK residence.
Copy of passport, utility bills etc.
This has been discussed on other Portugal forums.
Thete are no accounts that give a decent return.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KateB8
Thank you. I've looked on Google Maps for Lisbon and found the Camara Municipal down near the Commercial Square. That will be my first port of call.
Do they need any proof of your address; the only document with my address on is my driving licence.
Thank you for the recommendation; I will be looking for a savings account that give a good rate of interest.
The banks in my area don't require proof of address but it might be a good idea to have a utility bill or two with you just in case they ask for it...... Portugal is known for it's 'flexible bureaucracy' lol
Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfesharne
The banks in my area don't require proof of address but it might be a good idea to have a utility bill or two with you just in case they ask for it...... Portugal is known for it's 'flexible bureaucracy' lol
Unfortunately, I don't have any utility bills as I rent out my property and have made my parents' address my official address for everything. Any suggestions? My UK driving licence has my address on it.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:43 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
This is a new law only passed last year and implimented this year.
In the letter we received failure to provide the required proof of non residence could result in the account being frozen.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see a problem Kate. especially if you place enough money into the account. Banks don't usually refuse cash.lol. Interest seems a thing of the past though. they don't pay you for using your money.. ha ha what a ridiculous thought !! It seems to be a case of just go and give it a try Good luck p.s we arrange ours through our lawyer who charged peanuts
Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
This is a new law only passed last year and implimented this year.
In the letter we received failure to provide the required proof of non residence could result in the account being frozen.
Thanks EMR, do you have any idea of what other documentation might constitute 'proof' of address. Unfortunately I don't have any utility bills.

I am, however, travelling via U.K., so I could pick up any documents en route.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:22 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost certain that you'd be wasting your time going there to apply for a NIF.

It's a Serviço de Finanças or a Loja do Cidadão you'll want.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeniB
I don't see a problem Kate. especially if you place enough money into the account. Banks don't usually refuse cash.lol. Interest seems a thing of the past though. they don't pay you for using your money.. ha ha what a ridiculous thought !! It seems to be a case of just go and give it a try Good luck p.s we arrange ours through our lawyer who charged peanuts
You would have thought so Geni, but one the previous respondents says that it is now law.

Did you arrange this through a UK or Portuguese lawyer? And, sorry for all the questions, why did you use a lawyer; I was simply planning to go to the banks in Lisbon and enquire.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:26 am
EMR
Banned

Thanks EMR, do you have any idea of what other documentation might constitute 'proof' of address. Unfortunately I don't have any utility bills.

I am, however, travelling via U.K., so I could pick up any documents en route.
We provided copies of our passports our council tax bill and a water bill.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Kate

Anything with name & address on it will probably be acceptable.

Even a credit card statement or AA membership form etc....... If you have everything sent to your parent's address just give that as your address on the fiscal application form & you can always change it at a later date.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm almost certain that you'd be wasting your time going there to apply for a NIF.

It's a Serviço de Finanças or a Loja do Cidadão you'll want.
Thanks Eric...

Can anyone else confirm that and possibly provide an address of an office in central Lisbon?
Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
We provided copies of our passports our council tax bill and a water bill.
Passport is easy, but utility bills I don't have as it's my parents' address. I simply use it for correspondence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.