Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Astra 2F - Bye bye BBC & ITV?

Astra 2F - Bye bye BBC & ITV?

Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

tellyholic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Astra 2F - Bye bye BBC & ITV?

Originally Posted by Mike
Tell him to take it away and ask for a full refund!
A REFUND? In Portugal?? As John Macenroe would say....you cannot be serious!
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:34 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another report that a 4metre dish in the Algarve does cannot receive
Astra 2F.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

tellyholic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
The Resident article makes reference to download limits as there is really no such thing as " unlimited downloads ".
Could turn out to be a very expenisve way of watching TV unless you limit your viewing.
Plus of course nothing could be worse than loosing your connection at a critical time.
Those areas with fibre optic connections will obviously have an advantage.
I think those download limits were quoted by a certain company who sells satellite broadband systems. Obviously theyre not going to mention that landline deals are usually (relatively)unlimited
Old Dec 9th 2012, 8:32 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest I logged onto filmon and gave up after 15mins waiting for BBC1 to load.
Where I am at the moment I have an excellent broadband connection.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

Tunnelbear VPN on our Meo connection which speedtests at about 6-7mb is absolutely fine for streaming - yes, it stutters sometimes, but you'll probably find that happens in the UK as well. Works well for American TV with CBS etc. too...

Very interesting that Portugal's supreme court has declared personal filesharing as "legal" - I can understand it maybe being "decriminalised" - i.e. they won't follow up on those downloading, but this content isn't really free - do you have any web references / news stories about this?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:16 am
EMR
Banned

Filesharing may now be legal in Portugal but as a student in the UK found out lastweek the US is still very anti this and will prosecute and demand the extradition of those who operate such sites. The student in question went to the US and was fined £20,000 and had his site closed down.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:41 am
Just Joined

gabbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Livaboard:
I'd be very interested
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I have to correct something I posted earlier; I had the story confused with another.
Although filesharing remains illegal, for the moment, the Portuguese prosecution service has declared they have better things to do.

From “the Portugal News”;
File-sharers escape prosecution
by TPN/ Lusa, 27-09-2012 09:34:00
Illegal online file sharing reported by the Association of Audiovisual Businesses last year is too “inconsistent” for legal action, the Department of Penal Investigation and Action, Portugal’s prosecution service said this week.
Last year, the Association of Audiovisual Businesses reported 1,970 IP addresses, specifically identifying individual computers located in Portugal, and claiming that they were sharing copyrighted materials without due authorisation.
Now, the Portuguese prosecution service has ruled that the complaint is “inconsistent, and loaded with mere assumptions.”
The department statement accepts that whoever accesses peer to peer networks would necessarily be aware that they are accessing files inappropriately but concludes that “the specific circumstances of the crime reported, attributing a specific crime to the owner of an IP, is however erroneous.”
The prosecution maintained that it was incorrect to make the assumption that the IP address owner was inevitably the individual actually doing the downloading.
Furthermore, any “attempt to ascertain the identity of the users of the 1,970 IP addresses notified to the authorities is, nevertheless, in itself an impossible feat.”
The public prosecution explained this not only in terms of the material, time and costs involved but also because issues like wireless access and cybercafés further complicated matters.
The prosecution statement concluded by thanking the Association of Audiovisual Businesses for reporting the crime as such had the merit of rethinking the juridical issues emerging out of the digital reproduction of copyrighted materials whether musical, cinematographic, literary or scientific in origin.

I've written up a "how to do it" sheet, and will send it by PM to whoever wants it.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Interesting, a popular site I know of has just been closed down so it looks like they are cracking down.

Nice to know that people aren't going to be prosecuted here, I had someone knock on my door the other day to tell me that he was piggybacking on my internet connection!! I have changed the SSID and it is no longer broadcast but I don't know if that is enough!

I am gutted about these changes, why can't we just pay the license I'd be perfectly happy to rather than lose all these channels
Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Interesting, a popular site I know of has just been closed down so it looks like they are cracking down.

Nice to know that people aren't going to be prosecuted here, I had someone knock on my door the other day to tell me that he was piggybacking on my internet connection!! I have changed the SSID and it is no longer broadcast but I don't know if that is enough!

I am gutted about these changes, why can't we just pay the license I'd be perfectly happy to rather than lose all these channels
TRy hard locking your mac ids to only allow those you know , wep2 security password for your known hardware too , and lastly do away with wifi altogether and hard connect to the router if you have no need for wireless at all.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:56 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
why can't we just pay the license I'd be perfectly happy to rather than lose all these channels
The UK license fee is a UK TAX on AV reception equipment.
In theory, if you own a freeview box in the UK, but no TV to watch it on, then you still have to pay the tax, as the freeview box is capable of receiving the signals.
It is not a "charge" to watch UK TV, or BBC TV.

If, for example, the BBC did but the rights to show its content around Europe, then think of the increase in costs requried and the increase in the tax required to pay for those rights... simply - it is not worth it.

So you only have to pay the License fee to own equipment in the UK. And so it does not apply to outside the UK.

The BBC Commercial arm do operate BBC Entertainment, a subscription service that carries limited BBC and some C4 programming.

But also, BBC Worldwide distribute bbc progrmming to broadcasters around the world - which is why you can see BBC programming on Portuguese TV...and that helps fund BBC programming in the UK!

If you have lost ITV1, the simply use another ITV1 region - there are plenty of them on other frequencies - if you can get ITV3 then you will get the ITVs on that same frequency - 10905 v 22 5/6.
If you have lost C4HD, then use C4.
IF you have lost Channel Five, use C5HD (if you ahve a HD box and skycard - its not on freesat yet)
But before jumping and getting a bigger dish today, just for channel five, then it may be best to wait and see what happens and what reception of BBC and the rest of the ITVS is like when they move.

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 10th 2012 at 5:09 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:14 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

You are safe for the next few months.

BBC channels will move to their new satellite "in summer 2013".

Now what reception of that new satellite will be like is something else...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/abouttheb...onders-in-2013
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:27 pm
EMR
Banned

If you read the article it does seem to confirm that many of us on the fringes of the current sats will lose our main UK tv channels.
Lets see what Sky has to say.
I would not spend a penny on new equipments, dishes etc until the new sat Asta2E is up and broadcasting.
Bad times ahead for the installers.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by EMR
Lets see what Sky has to say.
BBC reception has nothing to do with Sky...so Sky will not say much about it.

And Sky channels will be on the new satellites also, and so reception will also vary - and it will depends if their channels are on the UK beams or pan european beams.....

but out of all the broadcasters, in the past, only the bbc has posted about "satellite changes".
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:24 pm
EMR
Banned

As you say until Sky deceides to tell the industry if its encrypted signals will be broadcast or not on the same type of beam as BBC etc we remain in the dark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.