Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Astra 2F - Bye bye BBC & ITV?

Astra 2F - Bye bye BBC & ITV?

Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

garden2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Astra 2F - Bye bye BBC & ITV?

We are in east algarve. In addition to the channels listed by The_Hog we also lost ITV1HD this pm
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

Originally Posted by garden2002
We are in east algarve. In addition to the channels listed by The_Hog we also lost ITV1HD this pm

We've lost ITV... ITV +1 , CH4 CH 5...............

Still got Sky sports though ! Happy days
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Mr and Mrs is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm taking a Foxsat HD PVR out to our villa near to Laranjero later this week (2m dish). Will report on how we get on soon.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:48 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Lisbon.
Lost Chan 5 and ITV+1,still got ITV,we have a 1.5 dish.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

SMENI is on a distinguished road

we are in Lagos, noticed yesterday Ch5 and 4/7 have gone - no satellite signal being received. we have sky channels ok and 1.6 dish
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Dishin'upDigital is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike
What we really need is someone to report they can receive these channels down here and the kit they are using!! A local installer was testing on a 2 .4m dish....will be interesting to see results now...
A solid dish will outperform a petal dish by some margin.
Local installer has tried afore-mentioned 2.4m monster- and absolutely nothing . It seems Astra 2F's roll-off is pretty steep. Costa Blanca receives OK, whereas Costa Del Sol is struggling. Even Germany has a east/west divide (again?), so not much chance here. Check 'Stop Press' page on <the site> for latest updates and practical solutions.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dishin'upDigital
Local installer has tried afore-mentioned 2.4m monster- and absolutely nothing . It seems Astra 2F's roll-off is pretty steep. Costa Blanca receives OK, whereas Costa Del Sol is struggling. Even Germany has a east/west divide (again?), so not much chance here. Check 'Stop Press' page on <the site> for latest updates and practical solutions.
Bugger.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:17 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Finally the English language media in Portugal has caught up.
The Algarve Resident, Portugal news and Algarve Daily news are carrying the story.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

kyles Mummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
Finally the English language media in Portugal has caught up.
The Algarve Resident, Portugal news and Algarve Daily news are carrying the story.
Nice to know I had the story before them!!!!

We published it on Wednesday.

We are also working at a solution through the internet. We have an expensive choice with great quality tv and a bad one that only costs a fiver.

I will give you a shout out when we have it properly working.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:40 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The Resident article makes reference to download limits as there is really no such thing as " unlimited downloads ".
Could turn out to be a very expenisve way of watching TV unless you limit your viewing.
Plus of course nothing could be worse than loosing your connection at a critical time.
Those areas with fibre optic connections will obviously have an advantage.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

That's not true; I have no download limits. I often download hundreds of GBs a week.
There ARE download limits on all wireless internet connections in Portugal, if you read the fine print.
They say unlimited, but the speed drops to 5% or so after you hit a certain number.
This is not necessarily the case with fixed lines.

I download most of our TV through file sharing, in HD. Some series have 50gb total file size.

I have the MEO TV service, which is basically video over ip, and it works ok [the trouble is finding enough new programming on there to stay amused].
However, the internet connection that comes with it is far too spotty for streaming, at least out at my place in the countryside. I download first, then watch it.

The TV installation guy told me that despite the hype, fiberoptic home connection is only available in Lisbon, Porto, and maybe Faro.
I know an old house in a small village in India that has one; I had to see it to believe it. That was 6 years ago. There are plenty of fiberoptic cables, one runs past my property. But it’s not connected directly to any houses around here.

File sharing for personal use has recently been declared legal by the Portuguese supreme court.

If anyone wants me to, I’ll write out exactly how to do it. It’s fairly easy, very easy if you’re at all good with computers.

You can get just about anything that’s been broadcast [anywhere] or sold on disk. It doesn’t cost anything, but obviously you need a fast fixed line connection [without data limits].
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

tellyholic is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone in the Tavira area happen to have Manuel Serra's phone number? can't seem to find it anywhere ,the dish he installed 2 weeks ago has come loose & I need to get him back. we have lost more than just chanell 5
Thx.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tellyholic
Does anyone in the Tavira area happen to have Manuel Serra's phone number?
Yes, it is 964828464.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tellyholic
Does anyone in the Tavira area happen to have Manuel Serra's phone number? can't seem to find it anywhere ,the dish he installed 2 weeks ago has come loose & I need to get him back. we have lost more than just chanell 5
Thx.
Tell him to take it away and ask for a full refund!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

tellyholic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The_Hog
Yes, it is 964828464.
Thank you for that. its a holiday today nd my nicer side thinks that's why hes not answering his phone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.