Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Another odd postal situation

Another odd postal situation

Old Aug 18th 2017, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another odd postal situation

My OH finally decided to send off for the DNA kit he has been promising me for two yrs (I want to prove he's an alien )

Tried the well known one advertised ad nauseum on the TV .No joy Portugal is one of the few countries excluded from their world wide postal service (can anyone tell me why this is ?It's a mystery to me but it happens a lot)

Anyhoo OH found one eventually .They said a 7 day delivery . It of course came today 14 days later.
The 'odd' bit is that it arrived at the post office..yeah! . (that rare thing ) It came from somewhere in Germany ,in a vacuum sealed plastic bag. So not been opened as far as we could see

However there was a large yellow sticker on the front that said 'In English'?

'Goods do not meet the requirements of Article 9 and 10 of the contract for the foundation of the European Community'

I am somewhat mystified by this
(a) as the packet is intact...how do they (?) know what it is
(b) how are we to know about article 9 and 10? so why say this?
(c ) Is the European Community ..The EEC? or the EU?
(d) Isn't this a tad 'big brother'

Anyone else come across this ?
Old Aug 19th 2017, 6:01 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another odd postal situation

It means the package originated from outside the EU.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

We had a similar thing when I ordered some LED light bulbs from ebay.co.uk........ I ordered them from a UK company but they were made in China.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:49 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
We had a similar thing when I ordered some LED light bulbs from ebay.co.uk........ I ordered them from a UK company but they were made in China.
Isn,t almost everything.
I would be suprised if they had been made in the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
It means the package originated from outside the EU.
Well yes of course it did. I have had many packages flying back and forth from the USA and Australia etc over many yrs. Why do they feel the need to slap such an ambiguous sticker on my package now .Dumb! .not to mention more expense.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 8:34 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Isn,t almost everything.
I would be suprised if they had been made in the UK.
Not just the contents of the package. The package itself.

Originally Posted by GeniB
Well yes of course it did. I have had many packages flying back and forth from the USA and Australia etc over many yrs. Why do they feel the need to slap such an ambiguous sticker on my package now .Dumb! .not to mention more expense.
Because you're ordering from an EU supplier who's sourcing your order from outside the EU and transporting it to you. It's a different procedure to you ordering direct from a non-EU supplier.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Not just the contents of the package. The package itself.

Because you're ordering from an EU supplier who's sourcing your order from outside the EU and transporting it to you. It's a different procedure to you ordering direct from a non-EU supplier.
In my case I ordered from the UK and whilst I expected the units to be Chinese made I thought the dealer send them from the UK........ I didn't check the post marks etc but would bet he just took the order & then had the manufacturer or wholesaler in China post them direct to me.

That's only a guess though.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I still don't get why it's necessary to stick a ruddy great sticker on the front to inform me about something I already know about. Or...Is it to tell the world I have got some unapproved goods, treacherously from outside the EU.?
Old Aug 20th 2017, 7:20 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by GeniB
I still don't get why it's necessary to stick a ruddy great sticker on the front to inform me about something I already know about. Or...Is it to tell the world I have got some unapproved goods, treacherously from outside the EU.?
I don't think it's for your benefit. I think it may be to make it visible to whoever might be interested in the fact that the contents haven't had any EU tax levied on them.

As I understand it, a proportion of such items are weeded out and tax is demanded of the customer.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 7:46 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

As usual, Google has the answer.....https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog...-of-article-9/