Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Amazon Firestick TV

Amazon Firestick TV

Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

maverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the roughmaverick1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Amazon Firestick TV

why not simply have a small dish installed with a icecrypt set top box
one off payment 230 euros then nothing to pay we have had this system for 2 years and is ideal if all you require id bbc 1,2 ,4 channel 4
Old Jan 17th 2017, 1:17 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maverick1
why not simply have a small dish installed with a icecrypt set top box
one off payment 230 euros then nothing to pay we have had this system for 2 years and is ideal if all you require id bbc 1,2 ,4 channel 4
This will be hacking into the BBC backup service on Intelsat 907 and run by Arqiva. This is a leased transponder and may or may not continue at the behest of Arqiva, so if, or when, it goes you will be left with a nice dish and decoder, but no TV.

I have a dish, I have a decoder (not icecrypt), but I tend to use the internet (even with my lousy bandwidth) rather than be limited to a few channels.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Uptoit is an unknown quantity at this point

try purchasing an Android tv box. You will be able to see everything you ever wanted
Old Feb 10th 2017, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Uptoit
try purchasing an Android tv box. You will be able to see everything you ever wanted
Any recommendations as to which Android box?
Old Feb 10th 2017, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Kanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Streaming, downloading, whatever way you do it, it's illegal if there is a country specific license attached.

It's very illegal, but not a lot that can be done about it. Most of these streaming services are directed via Russia so difficult to shut down.

Personally, one of the reasons to come to Portugal is to get away from British TV
Watching it is not illegal, hosting it certainly is.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I chose one that was supplied on eBay from someone who lived nearby so made it even cheaper. £20 works as well as previous more expensive one.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Bazoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had a trial of Amazon Fire stick with "Absolute iptv" and it is superb, 1300 channels, full Electronic Programme Guide, no loading or buffering with an average channel switch time of 0.5 seconds
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

When I looked at one it was hundreds of channels of complete rubbish.

Why not try www.uk4g.co.uk it's free and has most of the UK channels you need.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 7:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB
When I looked at one it was hundreds of channels of complete rubbish.

Why not try UK4G TV - Watch UK TV it's free and has most of the UK channels you need.

or if not already mentioned, no fumbling or search after search frustrations, just simple 'click & go'

Camposat: Free. Live. UK TV.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

or if not already mentioned, no fumbling or search after search frustrations, just simple 'click & go'

Camposat: Free. Live. UK TV.
And if you have a Smart TV with a decent browser you won't need any fancy boxes - some makes will even allow a Filmon App to be installed.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
And if you have a Smart TV with a decent browser you won't need any fancy boxes - some makes will even allow a Filmon App to be installed.
I bought an LG smart TV two years ago....and REALLY wish I hadn't.

Prior to that I would use a cheap HP laptop through a standard TV and it was much better, faster, more reliable and it is obvious really. It has a decent processor and built for purpose.

My Smart TV crashes once a day if I am flicking channels, doesn't stream as well and getting it fixed has proved impossible, with a laptop any computer shop can sort out problems in a trice.

So now I will take my old spare laptop and use that in Portugal, Smart TV it isn't IMO.

In Thailand I use UK4g.co.uk every day, but this other one works well too.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 10:56 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised that "smart" TVs are still sold.
Firstly, the technology used will quickly become outdated and can't be updated.
Secondly, the technology is built to a price - and people will buy on budget.
Thidly, the software is manufacturer-specific. Some will be better than others, but you are tied to them for updates, etc.
Lastly, they are generally closed systems and don't take well to user installation (or deletion) of offered platforms.

Better to buy a "dumb" TV that does its basic job well and has sufficient inputs for external devices (like the firestick or Android boxes) which are cheap enough to be replaced more frequently and (usually) don't suffer the same limitations as an "off the shelf" smart TV.

But, hey, probably still a better buy than 3D!
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macliam
I'm surprised that "smart" TVs are still sold.
Firstly, the technology used will quickly become outdated and can't be updated.
Secondly, the technology is built to a price - and people will buy on budget.
Thidly, the software is manufacturer-specific. Some will be better than others, but you are tied to them for updates, etc.
Lastly, they are generally closed systems and don't take well to user installation (or deletion) of offered platforms.

Better to buy a "dumb" TV that does its basic job well and has sufficient inputs for external devices (like the firestick or Android boxes) which are cheap enough to be replaced more frequently and (usually) don't suffer the same limitations as an "off the shelf" smart TV.

But, hey, probably still a better buy than 3D!
Thanks Mac, obviously more technically articulate than me....next time I feel like putting my boot through the damn thing, I will understand why.

Bought a nice little HP stream for £160 and it's great for everything, including watching TV at my brother-in-laws.

I hope that between us, we have talked others out of making the same mistake as me.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said ages ago, a laptop connected to the unsmart TV is great for catch-up and live TV, including the rugby on Sky. However, for everyday live TV, I'm very satisfied with Intelsat 907. Who needs any more channels than BBC 1 and 2, and ITV1? There's a load of rubbish on many of the other channels.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:09 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Like I said ages ago, a laptop connected to the unsmart TV is great for catch-up and live TV, including the rugby on Sky. However, for everyday live TV, I'm very satisfied with Intelsat 907. Who needs any more channels than BBC 1 and 2, and ITV1? There's a load of rubbish on many of the other channels.
For as long as Arqiva keep the contract and keep using 907, you're fine (except in bad weather!) But I wouldn't suggest anyone installs a dish and receiver to get it, if a longer-term option is available.

In the end, all the cost-free options have their limitations, but none great enough for me to consider paying a subscription!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.