Alex

Old Nov 20th 2017, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Molloy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alex

Hi i am giveing some serious thought about moveing me and my family to the algarve in 2018 i will be looking for a long term let and my son is 11 years old and i would be looking at putting him in a Portuguese state school i work offshore 3 weeks on 3 weeks off so i would keep my job bk in the uk and would i need heath insurance when i was the or do thay have a free helth service could anyone give me advise on this move
Old Nov 21st 2017, 7:33 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alex

Hi and welcome to the forum from me

I'm not completely sure what your questions are but I'll try to help a little to get you started.

You may have a problem with regard to where you pay tax and social security and where will you be considered resident. As long as the answer to those is Portugal, things should be relatively straightforward administratively and yes, there is a public health service which will be easy for you to enrol in.

Similarly, getting your son into a school here won't be a problem if you're resident, although, of course, the public education system here is all in Portuguese so he'll be needing some preparation or some extra help. I don't know what to suggest there other than liaising well in advance with any potential schools if you go further with this. Maybe if there's anybody with school-age children on here they can advise more fully.

Do you think it might be worth mentioning this idea to your employer and asking them for advice on the matter, particularly with regard to tax etc? Would they possibly have any other cross-border workers?

That's all I can comment on at the moment but I'm sure some of the other contributors will have some useful comments to add and obviously if you've got any further questions just ask away.

Last edited by Red Eric; Nov 21st 2017 at 7:37 am.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 10:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molloy
Hi i am giveing some serious thought about moveing me and my family to the algarve in 2018 i will be looking for a long term let and my son is 11 years old and i would be looking at putting him in a Portuguese state school i work offshore 3 weeks on 3 weeks off so i would keep my job bk in the uk and would i need heath insurance when i was the or do thay have a free helth service could anyone give me advise on this move
Hi, butting in from the France forum, but the issue is applicable in all European countries -
11 is a bad age for a foreign child to be thrown in at the deep end in a Secondary School, unless they speak the language and know a minimum of the country's culture. On the France forum we normally recommend putting a child over 11 in an international (or British) school. Which has its disadvantages - the child wouldn't integrate easily with the locals, wouldn't speak the language quickly, not to mention the school fees. How does he feel, going to pastures new and leaving his pals and the rest of the family? Might it be an issue if you, his father, are regularly away for 3 weeks at a time?
Just random thoughts, applicable everywhere.
Obviously can't advise on your residency/health coverage in Portugal...
Good luck with your decision!
Old Nov 21st 2017, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Hi and welcome to the forum from me

I'm not completely sure what your questions are but I'll try to help a little to get you started.

You may have a problem with regard to where you pay tax and social security and where will you be considered resident. As long as the answer to those is Portugal, things should be relatively straightforward administratively and yes, there is a public health service which will be easy for you to enrol in.

Similarly, getting your son into a school here won't be a problem if you're resident, although, of course, the public education system here is all in Portuguese so he'll be needing some preparation or some extra help. I don't know what to suggest there other than liaising well in advance with any potential schools if you go further with this. Maybe if there's anybody with school-age children on here they can advise more fully.

Do you think it might be worth mentioning this idea to your employer and asking them for advice on the matter, particularly with regard to tax etc? Would they possibly have any other cross-border workers?

That's all I can comment on at the moment but I'm sure some of the other contributors will have some useful comments to add and obviously if you've got any further questions just ask away.
Thanks for you're advice
Old Nov 21st 2017, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, butting in from the France forum, but the issue is applicable in all European countries -
11 is a bad age for a foreign child to be thrown in at the deep end in a Secondary School, unless they speak the language and know a minimum of the country's culture. On the France forum we normally recommend putting a child over 11 in an international (or British) school. Which has its disadvantages - the child wouldn't integrate easily with the locals, wouldn't speak the language quickly, not to mention the school fees. How does he feel, going to pastures new and leaving his pals and the rest of the family? Might it be an issue if you, his father, are regularly away for 3 weeks at a time?
Just random thoughts, applicable everywhere.
Obviously can't advise on your residency/health coverage in Portugal...
Good luck with your decision!
Hi thanks for you're advice you have give me something to think about hear.