Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Airport transfers

Airport transfers

Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

scots-pats is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Airport transfers

Can anyone recommend the best and most cost effective transfer method from Faro to Tavira ?
We have always hired a car which can be expensive once they add on the "extra" insurance charges.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:58 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Airport transfers

Try resorthoppa.com
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice
Default Re: Airport transfers

We always used to get a taxi, which isnt really cost effective. My sister got a bus to Faro train station and got the bus from there, not quite sure how much it cost, but sure it isnt much. But, it took a long time!

BUT, the reason for replying is we also got fed up of being stung for the extra 'car scratch insurance' when we hired our cars at the airport. Then we read in the Guardian about an insurance agency in UK which covers you for scratches on hire cars in Europe and it was £50 for the whole year. As we come over a lot, it paid for itself on our first visit.

If you want details let me know and I will PM you details. (If I manage to work out how to do that - last time I tried, I failed dismally). (along with inserting smileys!).

Saz1

ps I havent got a computer at home, so wouldnt be able to reply over the weekend unfortunately.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

hmmm, seem to have managed to work out the smiley bit!

Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog
Great, we'll have a look at that.
Thanks.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Saz1
We always used to get a taxi, which isnt really cost effective. My sister got a bus to Faro train station and got the bus from there, not quite sure how much it cost, but sure it isnt much. But, it took a long time!

BUT, the reason for replying is we also got fed up of being stung for the extra 'car scratch insurance' when we hired our cars at the airport. Then we read in the Guardian about an insurance agency in UK which covers you for scratches on hire cars in Europe and it was £50 for the whole year. As we come over a lot, it paid for itself on our first visit.

If you want details let me know and I will PM you details. (If I manage to work out how to do that - last time I tried, I failed dismally). (along with inserting smileys!).

Saz1

ps I havent got a computer at home, so wouldnt be able to reply over the weekend unfortunately.
If you could let us have those details as we are coming over again in September.
We are still finding our way around the website and I'll try to send you our email address directly.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Just about the 'scratch insurance'.

Yes the all year scratch insurance suggested above is what we will do in future.

But I must give credit to Budget rentals.

When we hired we had the option of covering the excess/scratch insurance with an extra daily payment. But decided against it.

Then when filling up to take the car back after the holiday I noticed a very heavy scratch which when thinking back I was fairly certain that I'd done.

Anyway rightly or wrongly I decided not to mention it, as it wasn't done in an accident, and hope that it wouldn't be spotted although believing that it must be spotted and that I would be charged the max excess.

Anyway to cut a long story short I didn't get charged for it.

Thanks Budget.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scots-pats
If you could let us have those details as we are coming over again in September.
We are still finding our way around the website and I'll try to send you our email address directly.
Click on their username and a dropdown menu will appear, email or PM are on there. ;-))
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Vyger is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend the best and most cost effective transfer method from Faro to Tavira ?
We have always hired a car which can be expensive once they add on the "extra" insurance charges.
Tried resorthoppa and OK if it's only for 1 pax but also try http://www.low-cost-transfers.com as a comparison.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Odd Balls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Not sure if it is the same company, but have a look at www.insurance4carhire.com; www.dailyexcess.com; www.excesstopup.com; www.travel4holidayhomes.com It is good to save money! OB
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Scots Pats

As we have to travel from Faro to Ourique, there is not real alternative to a hire car.

However, during our first few visits having little local knowledge, we hired from two of the large companies, Avis and Eurocar. Both expensive and certainly heavy on extras.

We met someone however, who had used a smaller local company in Faro and we have been pleased both with the service and cost, that is very competitive. Also, they have a much more relaxed approach to minor damage such as scratches, plus they meet you at the airport and bring the car to you outside the terminal building.

If you decide to hire a car, I would recommend Auto Season whose deatils are below.

Luis Romeira is the owner and his e-mail address is [email protected]. Telephone number is 00351 281 957 327. They offer a good range of vehicles.

BB