Reload this Page >

Advice on Passport expiry

Advice on Passport expiry

Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

John1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on Passport expiry

Hi everyone,
I currently live in the Algarve but dont have Residencia, and my British passport is due to expire in Feb.'06. I have two trips booked to go back to the Uk in December and again in January, does anyone know or have experience of whether the Passport Control at Faro airport will let me back in the country with only 1 or 2 months left on my passport?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on Passport expiry

I don't think passport control will be your problem. I have heard of cases where actual airlines will not allow someone to fly if their passport is soon to expire.

Maybe check with the airline you're flying with first.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Elkie 006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello John,

Just joined and noticed your question. I moved to Portugal 3 years ago and had to renew my passport last year.

I used the British Embassy in Lisbon, which turned out to be much easier than in the UK! If you’re willing to entrust your present passport to the post, you can send it to them, they will process it within 5 working days and return it to you by mail.

Having had an unfortunate incident some years ago where my passport arrived by registered mail but was subsequently lost (and never found) by the Home Office in London (I had posted it from London, by the way), I wasn’t willing to part with my previous passport.

I therefore sent copies of relevant papers (birth certificate, etc) to the Embassy in Lisbon in advance, and then went there in person with the passport to be replaced, and the originals of the papers that I had sent in already.

I did phone beforehand to make the arrangement, and my new passport was handed over to me there and then.

You don’t mention the date of departure in January, but it might be worth to get in touch with the Embassy in Lisbon to see if they can help. They would also be the best people to advise you on what to do in your situation.

Good luck.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all advice. I eventually went to the Consulate in Portimao and they sent my old passport to Lisbon and I got my renewal in just over 7 days at 109 euros per passport.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

dollydimple62 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by John1
Hi everyone,
I currently live in the Algarve but dont have Residencia, and my British passport is due to expire in Feb.'06. I have two trips booked to go back to the Uk in December and again in January, does anyone know or have experience of whether the Passport Control at Faro airport will let me back in the country with only 1 or 2 months left on my passport?
The airlines AND passport controll, need at least 6 months on your passport before you can travel... I was due to go to portugal in jan for my birthday with just 2 fdays left (stupid idot!!!) so I had to get to glasgow and fast track it, cost me £108 but worth it

Dolly
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Advice on Passport expiry

Originally Posted by John1
Thanks for all advice. I eventually went to the Consulate in Portimao and they sent my old passport to Lisbon and I got my renewal in just over 7 days at 109 euros per passport.
glad you got it sorted John....

Dolly
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:32 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollydimple62
glad you got it sorted John....

Dolly
This guy's last post post was Jan 2006. He's probably got a Martian passport by now!!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
This guy's last post post was Jan 2006. He's probably got a Martian passport by now!!

LOL.... yes I replied to it... not really taking in the date he had wrote it LOLOLOLOL

Dolly...
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Never mind Dolly - your intentions were good!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Yes , thanks for that John....

Dolly
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:35 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dollydimple62
Yes , thanks for that John....

Dolly
Hello dollydimple, I keep laughing everytime I think maybe you should be called dollydaydream. Sorry but it has brighten up an otherwise dull Sunday..
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hello dollydimple, I keep laughing everytime I think maybe you should be called dollydaydream. Sorry but it has brighten up an otherwise dull Sunday..

So glad I have brightened up your sunday LOL yes dolly day dream would suit me!

Dolly