Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

8 x 5 m wooden prefab building?

8 x 5 m wooden prefab building?

Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute
Question 8 x 5 m wooden prefab building?

Hi,

As part of our Big Plan, we want to build a small (8 x 5 m ) 'granny/visitors etc' flat in a corner of our garden/land - free standing / separate from house, but not too far away.

The plan is for a simple 3 room structure (living room/kitchenette, bathroom, bedroom)

One possibility that has been suggested from UK friends is a prefab wooden structure (economical, pretty and less footings work).

I'm looking for advice on rough prices, availability, suppliers etc in Portugal.

e.g. is this kind of thing in PT as economical as in UK compared to builders putting up a normal structure?

Also any other comments very helpful

Thanks IA

Leigh
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 x 5 m wooden prefab building?

There are plenty of small wooden houses springing up all over the place in the Algarve. My house came with a lovely, wooden garage/workshop when we bought in 2003, so the suppliers have been here for a long time. Try searching on the internet for suppliers/builders.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:21 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Midgo
Hi,

As part of our Big Plan, we want to build a small (8 x 5 m ) 'granny/visitors etc' flat in a corner of our garden/land - free standing / separate from house, but not too far away.

The plan is for a simple 3 room structure (living room/kitchenette, bathroom, bedroom)

One possibility that has been suggested from UK friends is a prefab wooden structure (economical, pretty and less footings work).

I'm looking for advice on rough prices, availability, suppliers etc in Portugal.

e.g. is this kind of thing in PT as economical as in UK compared to builders putting up a normal structure?

Also any other comments very helpful

Thanks IA

Leigh
You may find that it is illegal.
Any habitable structure must conform to the original habitation licence.
I know of at least one owner who had to demolish theirs.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Having barely survived the fires last year & knowing that Portugal has endless types of wood eating insects I personally wouldn't even begin to consider a wood built living accommodation under any circumstances whatsoever.

That aside, the easy way to find out the legalities would be to ask in the planning office of your local Camara
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

We have just spent a lot of time (read 3 years) getting a habitation cert, and this fits in with the total covered area that we are allowed. Will of course get everything validated by someone before starting, whatever the construction.

Fire was something that occurred to me but its not our main dwelling, which is reinforced concrete and close by. Will have to think on that one though.

'Bichos' could well be a negative point.

TBH its the price and simplicity of this idea that interests me, so any other construction is just as much of an option. Perhaps they are not as cheap as in UK anyway.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:01 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Midgo
Thanks,

We have just spent a lot of time (read 3 years) getting a habitation cert, and this fits in with the total covered area that we are allowed. Will of course get everything validated by someone before starting, whatever the construction.

Fire was something that occurred to me but its not our main dwelling, which is reinforced concrete and close by. Will have to think on that one though.

'Bichos' could well be a negative point.

TBH its the price and simplicity of this idea that interests me, so any other construction is just as much of an option. Perhaps they are not as cheap as in UK anyway.
If it does not form part of your original project approval, aviso you will have to apply for a revised approval.
As suggested approach your Camara and get in writing anything they suggest.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks,

That's our plan
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

The camara will surely reject a wooden habitation; but give it a try.

Concrete and bricks are cheap, it's the rest of the building that costs money; doors, windows, fittings, bath, kitchen, electrics, plumbing...

The reason people throw up wooden buildings in Portugal is out of the belief that no planning permission is required for a 'temporary' structure.

That may or may not be the case; arguments continue. If you ask the camara, they'll tell you 'No', but people that don't ask often get away with it.

Another possibility is a big caravan.
Mine is connected to the water, power, and septic tank.
The last was tricky.

There are some big sheds for sale with little wheels under them to pretend they're 'mobile'. I think that's just taking the pi**.

If you get permission for a new addition, it will be a "project" with multiple inspections, certifications, and full architectural plans approved by multiple sections of government. It's a big job.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 5:21 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by liveaboard
The camara will surely reject a wooden habitation; but give it a try.

Concrete and bricks are cheap, it's the rest of the building that costs money; doors, windows, fittings, bath, kitchen, electrics, plumbing...

The reason people throw up wooden buildings in Portugal is out of the belief that no planning permission is required for a 'temporary' structure.

That may or may not be the case; arguments continue. If you ask the camara, they'll tell you 'No', but people that don't ask often get away with it.

Another possibility is a big caravan.
Mine is connected to the water, power, and septic tank.
The last was tricky.

There are some big sheds for sale with little wheels under them to pretend they're 'mobile'. I think that's just taking the pi**.

If you get permission for a new addition, it will be a "project" with multiple inspections, certifications, and full architectural plans approved by multiple sections of government. It's a big job.
YOu submit your plans to the local Camara and they will be approved or not .
No multiple sections of government.
Get it right to start with and it should not take too long.
As I posted I know of at least one owner who had to demolish their wooden outbuildings used for habitation.
Remember if you want to sell an agent can no longer advertise it unless all the paperwork is in order.
The days of Camaras turning a blind eye are coming to an end.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

So whatever the Camara process is, wood is probably, on average going to present more of a problem than a brick &/or concrete type construction?
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Each camara has their own priorities and practices, and it also depends on the classification of the land your house is on.
Often the agriculture ministry has to approve for instance.

In any case, it's the architect's job to know all of this, and which plan is likely to be approved.
Often what you want is not what the bureaucracy likes, the plan gets rejected and you have to make changes and submit it again.

Find a house in your camara that looks similar to what you want to build; then ask who the architect was who managed to weave the paperwork through the necessary channels.

That's the person you need to talk to.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

I undertook a market survey of purveyors of Wooden Houses in Portugal for a client a few months ago.

If you want to pm me, I may be able to assist.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks,
We (well my wife) have (has) just gone through the whole cert of habitation thingy, with architect, engineer, camara,etc.
Took over 3 years. Imagine a house that was built across the revolution in terms of paperwork plus all the usual drawbacks of life in Portugal with the state
Luckily my wife dealt with it all as I would have killed someone with my bare hands and teeth at various stages. Several times they took 6 months longer than they should have done, then admitted that it was their fault but fined us anyway for missing deadlines.Etc etc etc etc.
We will not be selling this house, it's been a dream for my wife since growing up it in, and for me since I arrived in 96 to realise that work and finances dictated that 'one of those houses' wasn't feasible.
Anyway, whilst realising that this sounds ungrateful in a forum post, just to say that I'm looking for practical points, my far more intelligent other half will deal with the planning side which will be the next stage of the 'design loop'. I do realise, however, that what is permitted dictates the engineering, but I am just 'brainstorming' at this stage; getting pros and cons of all options.
Too be honest, I am going off wooden construction mainly because it seems that it wouldn’t be any cheaper (especially considering the comment of the main cost is in the fittings), would be harder to source in PT (and our potential builders aren’t accustomed to it), and mostly because of the potential problems with insects and vermin.
So your posts have been most helpful, thanks again

Last edited by Midgo; Jan 5th 2018 at 10:44 am.