Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

A22 Toll Road 15th April

A22 Toll Road 15th April

Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice
Default Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Travelled from Ayamonte to Guia yesterday and noted that preparation works for the gantry's (holes in the verges and cuts in the central reservation concrete barrier) were taking place. All to the west of Olhau none to the east.

Travelled home from Taveria at 10.30pm and we appeared to be the only car on the road. How they can justify the cost east of Olhau I cannot see.
Are you going to get one of these devices. Will they accept uk or Spanish bank accounts for payment.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:28 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
Are you going to get one of these devices. Will they accept uk or Spanish bank accounts for payment.
No they don't....unless you have a bank account at the one Caja. Read post 25 in which I have given a lot of links and details on how to make payments.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:37 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Travelled from Ayamonte to Guia yesterday and noted that preparation works for the gantry's (holes in the verges and cuts in the central reservation concrete barrier) were taking place. All to the west of Olhau none to the east.

Travelled home from Taveria at 10.30pm and we appeared to be the only car on the road. How they can justify the cost east of Olhau I cannot see.
This link says they have collected a lot of money just from the North of Portugal. The prediction is going to be 330millon Euros in the first year when in operation all over Portugal.

Originally Posted by Big Ant
Done it !

OK, spent 2 hours with post office getting (1) ViaVerde for our PT registered car (2) a 2nd one, for a UK registered and UK addressed "tourist" car.

Neither was big issues. If you ask for email statement monthly, you pay only 25 EUR not 27 per device.

Went next door from CTT to our bankers at Millennium, and 2 minutes at the Multibanc ATM and devices were both activated.

Small point, the owner of the car must sign forms, etc - not hubby or anyone.

In theory, you can buy one and switch it between cars - but illegal, and if caught for some other offence, will just add to your problems.

And....just run to Lisbon this early morning from Tavira, no stopping or hassle at Tolls ! And before anyone asks.....not I did not awake at 5am just to use my new ViaVerde devices !

Big Ant
Two hours? Nice.

What are the normal opening times of P.O. in Portugal?
Is the payment every month or do you just top it up manually with a visit to the bank or is payment automatically deducted from your bank account from now on.

Thanks for posting this. It illustrates that for the Portuguese residents it is relatively easy. It is the hire cars and us who live in Spain that are having problems in making payments.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really nice

Without a Portuguese professional with me, we would have failed. CTT (Post Office) had so many reasons to reject applications, it was like a game for them. My 'support' guy was on his mobile to ViaVerde direct, countering every argument the Post Office had to reject the applications. At one moment they requested 30 minutes stay-of-execution, whilst Post Office ladies sought guidance from their head office, attempting to block again. Bloody odd, not only did we want to buy 2 devices for EUR 50, but then to pay the damn tolls - on top of the EUR 550 road tax we pay for just one of the cars !

Anyway, done and dusted.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 5:14 pm

Ant, many thanks for posting this...karma sent.

On a vacation forum someone posted this link (in English) It is from Last October.
Some of the information is not quite correct, perhaps it is lost in translation. For instance I have not heard about the different rates before.

English article.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

This will certainly catch the unaware tourists who come with money in their pocket to spend in the Portuguese economy, not on excessive road toll charges which appear almost impossible to pay unless you take a Portuguese speaking person with you. (Even then it sounds difficult!!)
This will kill the campervans coming and possibly result in the tourists staying in Spain or otherwise clogging up the normal roads.
A complete boycott of the motorways in Portugal sounds a good idea which will make the government sit up and think.
Joao
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Joao
This will kill the campervans coming and possibly result in the tourists staying in Spain or otherwise clogging up the normal roads.
Joao
Ah, every cloud has a silver lining.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:43 am
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Originally Posted by The_Hog
I was thinking the exact same thing!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joao
This will kill the campervans coming and possibly result in the tourists staying in
No they will use the 125, bringing it to a standstill
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

bigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nice

I think Joao is over estimating the incoming traffic of motor caravans and Spanish - the former only arrive in Winter in comparatively small numbers and the Spanish usually arrive in numbers during Easter.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Why do you say that? The main industry of the Algarve is tourism. Are you saying these people don't contribute? I think we do when we come. Shopping, Green fees, Eating out, Car hire, fuel now tolls, [if we can find a way to pay].
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

If the number of campervans in the Tavira area is anything to go by during the winter period then I would estimate around a couple of thousand come into the whole of Portugal during that period. I would then say that is a fairly significant number.
Joao
Old Feb 21st 2011, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

I like motorhomes, I even considered buying one.
What put me off was the number of Motorhomers that think it is perfectly OK to simply stop and park up where they like without any regard for the law or the local people.
I believe it is known as 'wild camping'. It is illegal in Spain and should be in Portugal too.
They blatantly breach 'no overnight camping' signs and goodness knows what they do with their chemical waste.
Fortunately here in Tavira it is not the problem it once was but go to the beach at Manta Rota and you will see at least 300 of them. It looks like a gypsy encampment - complete with barking dogs.
Before motorhomes people had caravans. You never saw people 'wild camping' with caravans, they went to authorised campsites. Motorhomers should do the same. There are plenty of them and they are not expensive or full.
When the tolls arrive it will just be another thing that they don't pay.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I like motorhomes, I even considered buying one.
What put me off was the number of Motorhomers that think it is perfectly OK to simply stop and park up where they like without any regard for the law or the local people.
I believe it is known as 'wild camping'. It is illegal in Spain and should be in Portugal too.
They blatantly breach 'no overnight camping' signs and goodness knows what they do with their chemical waste.
Fortunately here in Tavira it is not the problem it once was but go to the beach at Manta Rota and you will see at least 300 of them. It looks like a gypsy encampment - complete with barking dogs.
Before motorhomes people had caravans. You never saw people 'wild camping' with caravans, they went to authorised campsites. Motorhomers should do the same. There are plenty of them and they are not expensive or full.
When the tolls arrive it will just be another thing that they don't pay.
I understand. I didn't know it was such a large scale problem.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
I understand. I didn't know it was such a large scale problem.
You should see Castro Marim from October to May there are dozens of motor homes parked up in the area where the monthly market is held. They move off for the Saturday of the market but are back soon after and are spreading around more sites adjcent to the main market site. The Market site has electric points, water and I am told sewage disposal so there is an obvious attraction but I have no idea if they are charged for a pitch. Rumour has it that they do not spend much in local bars and cafes but you do see lots in Lidl and the other supermarkets in VRSto so they do bring some income to the majors just not to the locals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.