Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

A22 Toll Road 15th April

A22 Toll Road 15th April

Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:16 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Originally Posted by Golfister
We drive down to Portugal from the UK in our own UK car a couple of times a year. Anyone got a clue how this will be addressed?
You either do not pay the toll and use normal tolled Via Verde route (with manned tolls) or learn how to read the Post Office website and pre pay the tolls. looking at teh post I quote below you can pay at PO. But see my comments below.

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
I spoke to the car hire company I usually use and they had had only one response from the companies they use. It was this:

My advice is to buy a temporary dispositive called here as DT (Dispositivo Temporario), this DT is for sale on post offices (all main airports got one), and them clients must made a pre-payment of 10.00 Euros minimum, this value will be deduced each time the clients use the highway. The pre-payments can be made in any pin Machine – Cashier Machine, called here “Multibanco” or at any pay shop, and are valid for the period of 90 days. I far as I Know after the 90 days it can be re-activated, just do not know if it involves any costs apart from the new 10 Euros pre-payment. It means that the DT could be used this year and next year the same DT could be re-activated but need a new 10 Euros pre-payment.

This DT is for sale at post offices and costs 27 Euros. In post offices clients could also know how much money they spent and if they need to made another pre-payment. Further information could be obtained at post offices.

I assume this assumes that there are barriers you can slot the card into at beginnings and ends of motorway journeys? Clear the car hire companies are not going to absorb the costs.
Paying at PO is fine for cars picked up at airports. However this answer only solves one problem.
Not every hire car is picked up at an airport.
Some airport pick-ups are either late at night or early in the morning what happens when the PO is closed?
If you don’t pick up at an airport or drive a foreign plated car how do you find a PO? Also to find one you have to drive out of the way, park, que and try and tell the guy behind the desk what you need.
When picking up a ticket from the PO you have to know your route. What if you don’t know your route or when you are on the road you go too far? Are you still fined?

There are no barriers at either end, just overhead gantries which register you passing below. If there is a non-registration it seems a signal is set to the police and/or a camera takes a photo of your car. So you could expect a fine.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
You either do not pay the toll and use normal tolled Via Verde route (with manned tolls) or learn how to read the Post Office website and pre pay the tolls. looking at teh post I quote below you can pay at PO. But see my comments below.

Paying at PO is fine for cars picked up at airports. However this answer only solves one problem.
Not every hire car is picked up at an airport.
Some airport pick-ups are either late at night or early in the morning what happens when the PO is closed?
If you don’t pick up at an airport or drive a foreign plated car how do you find a PO? Also to find one you have to drive out of the way, park, que and try and tell the guy behind the desk what you need.
When picking up a ticket from the PO you have to know your route. What if you don’t know your route or when you are on the road you go too far? Are you still fined?

There are no barriers at either end, just overhead gantries which register you passing below. If there is a non-registration it seems a signal is set to the police and/or a camera takes a photo of your car. So you could expect a fine.
The last thing the Algarve needs is to make driving difficult for their visitors.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

Originally Posted by olivia
The last thing the Algarve needs is to make driving difficult for their visitors.
Its crazy!..... Theres no one on A22 East of Faro.......

Luckily the 125 east of Tavira shouldn't be that affected, i hope!

The algarve tourist board certainly wont be doing any advertising about the tolls... bad for business.....
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:55 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Pope
Its crazy!..... Theres no one on A22 East of Faro.......

Luckily the 125 east of Tavira shouldn't be that affected, i hope!

The algarve tourist board certainly wont be doing any advertising about the tolls... bad for business.....
I think it is ok for the Portugeese and the expats that live there. There does not seem to be much in the Portugeese news about these tolls.
They only gave 15 days notice up in the north, so you do have an advantage to prepare for this
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

I think it is ok for the Portugeese and the expats that live there. There does not seem to be much in the Portugeese news about these tolls.
They only gave 15 days notice up in the north, so you do have an advantage to prepare for this
Thats not good!............... I mean the notice period!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:40 pm

Rumours were abound before then, since July 2010, but delay upon delay pushed the start date back. There still on going talks between Galicia and Portugal. I have not heard if the Spanish national government is involved. The ironic thing here is the Galician’s feel more aligned to the Portuguese than Spain. A lot of centuries ago they were one country and the Language is very similar too. Now they seem to be shafted by their bothers.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:47 am

Latest news:
NOTE THIS IS NOT IN PLACE:

This I feel is an illustration on how that the whole thing is utter confusion.
The latest idea is to allow the renting of transponders out. To do this you have to stop at a service station before entering the toll zone. Rent a transponder and drive the stretch of highway. Stop at the service station outside off the toll area and return the transponder. Obviously this could add time to your journey.
An interesting point in this article is that the EU is now looking into this toll system because it not easy for foreigners to pay the tolls .
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/galicia...2G17P11992.htm

There are a lot of other bits added to this article that are even less likely to work. I have not written about that here.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Latest news:
NOTE THIS IS NOT IN PLACE:

This I feel is an illustration on how that the whole thing is utter confusion.
The latest idea is to allow the renting of transponders out. To do this you have to stop at a service station before entering the toll zone. Rent a transponder and drive the stretch of highway. Stop at the service station outside off the toll area and return the transponder. Obviously this could add time to your journey.
An interesting point in this article is that the EU is now looking into this toll system because it not easy for foreigners to pay the tolls .
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/galicia...2G17P11992.htm

There are a lot of other bits added to this article that are even less likely to work. I have not written about that here.
It does not surprise me that the EU are taking an interest. When they awarded funding for infrastructure projects I think there was a clause about being toll free if they were inter-community roads these are usually designated by being Exxx and the A22 is one of those but the number is not displayed it is in some maps.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by John & Kath
It does not surprise me that the EU are taking an interest. When they awarded funding for infrastructure projects I think there was a clause about being toll free if they were inter-community roads these are usually designated by being Exxx and the A22 is one of those but the number is not displayed it is in some maps.
If when that road was built they had considered it as a future toll road there wouldn't have been all the entry/exit points for the villages along the way from Faro to the border. John without me getting a map out do you know how many there are? Perhaps they will need to close some off.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

I think it is just mind numbing the way the whole matter is being implemented (or not). The last idea of 'renting' a transponder relies on the garage you go to having someone there having the ability to hold a conversation in the language of the person requiring the item. (Portuguese is, unfortunately, not a common language in Europe)
The other notion to obtain, or pay for the toll via the Post Office is just too ridiculous for words. As far as I am aware from my 10 years in Portugal the PO closes on the weekend and holidays, it also only opens from 0830 to 1630 during the week. In addition their site is only in Portuguese, very helpful for someone from Sweden or Denmark, they would need to have it in other languages. Oh yes and you would need to enter Portugal during the Post Office opening times!
The idea of people who drive foreign plated cars being fined for not paying the toll relies on the Portuguese police holding a data base of every car in the world with the owners address. alternatively, they wait at the boarder for the car to exit the country (or sorry you can not have a fixed border post now under EU law (but then this is Portugal)).
I think it will certainly put a lot of people off driving on the motorways, I for one will only use the other roads even if it take for ever.
In this case, thank goodness I am in UK and we only have one motorway toll (which is optional) oh yes and the congestion charge.

There are 5 exits from Faro to the boarder (Sao Bras, Olhao, Tavira, Monte Gordo and VR Sa Antonio)

Joao
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joao
(or sorry you can not have a fixed border post now under EU law (but then this is Portugal)).

Joao
Not entirely correct. You can have border posts if one of the countries is not a Schengen member ( I belive both Spain and Portugal are )
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
If when that road was built they had considered it as a future toll road there wouldn't have been all the entry/exit points for the villages along the way from Faro to the border. John without me getting a map out do you know how many there are? Perhaps they will need to close some off.
6 plus the sevice station but they are not evenly spaced.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:42 am

Now here is a surprise!!!! There is a noticeable (18%) difference in the amount of tourist in the North of Portugal. It seems this is down to the new toll system.
Spanish newspaper article.

Found this link in English on how to pay electronic tolls.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really nice

Done it !

OK, spent 2 hours with post office getting (1) ViaVerde for our PT registered car (2) a 2nd one, for a UK registered and UK addressed "tourist" car.

Neither was big issues. If you ask for email statement monthly, you pay only 25 EUR not 27 per device.

Went next door from CTT to our bankers at Millennium, and 2 minutes at the Multibanc ATM and devices were both activated.

Small point, the owner of the car must sign forms, etc - not hubby or anyone.

In theory, you can buy one and switch it between cars - but illegal, and if caught for some other offence, will just add to your problems.

And....just run to Lisbon this early morning from Tavira, no stopping or hassle at Tolls ! And before anyone asks.....not I did not awake at 5am just to use my new ViaVerde devices !

Big Ant
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now here is a surprise!!!! There is a noticeable (18%) difference in the amount of tourist in the North of Portugal. It seems this is down to the new toll system.
Spanish newspaper article.

Found this link in English on how to pay electronic tolls.
Travelled from Ayamonte to Guia yesterday and noted that preparation works for the gantry's (holes in the verges and cuts in the central reservation concrete barrier) were taking place. All to the west of Olhau none to the east.

Travelled home from Taveria at 10.30pm and we appeared to be the only car on the road. How they can justify the cost east of Olhau I cannot see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.