Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

A22 Toll Road 15th April

A22 Toll Road 15th April

Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Originally Posted by bigglesafloat
Well said FredB. If the system comes into force in 1 year we will have all forgotten about the tolls. At least todays residents have a choice of road to use - we oldies only had the EN125 and it was a major journey from Faro to Gibralter (not the 3.5 hours you can do it in today). Maybe some of the businesses on the EN125 will flourish with some extra trade. Is the VR -Ayamonte ferry still running ?
Hi
The ferry was certainly still running in January
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:44 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Road tolls are a way of life, new ones are generally met with a lot of verbal opposition but as time passes people come to accept them.
Also has Olivia said the cost has to be balanced against time, wear and tear, fuel consumption etc. Personally I use the toll roads on the CDS, much easier than negotiating a roundabout every few hundred meters.
The main problem appears to be the method of administering these charges, in particular the way tourists can pay the tolls and I believe it will be the tourists who will eventually dictate the payment methods available.
The loss of tourist tolls will be minimal but the loss of tourist money into the wider economy could have a major impact on the Algarve and it’s businesses and therefore this will have to be addressed.

I agree the post I made is not anti toll, it is trying to help the forum members understand this method of toll collection. There has been no publicity as to the affects of either the Portuguese* or the visitors to the country. There is nowhere in Europe where you cannot pay for a toll at a manned barrier.
The way this system is set up it makes it very hard pay a toll.

In general this should not affect tourist numbers. But it may affect the tourist perception of the country after they have paid a fine.
Here is an instance:
I think they intend to ring the airports with this toll system. They have already done this for the airport in Oporto. Lisbon is on the list for next April, I do not know if Faro’s airport is on the list. So imagine ring fencing the airports and then not informing the tourist. They pick up a hire car and maybe after their hols they have an extra charge on their CC for the fine. Not a great way to end your trip is it?

* Look at the way the old roads got over crowed when they could not sell enough transponders. Even they seem not to have got the message.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

bigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nice

There is one place you cannot pay at a manned barrier and that is the congestion charge for central London ! They have a very sophisticated system operating and EVERYBODY pays or faces huge Fines.
What about the non-Portuguese registered car that wanders into Portugal for the weekend and then returns home after a few days - how on earth are they going to enforce payment.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:11 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesafloat
There is one place you cannot pay at a manned barrier and that is the congestion charge for central London ! They have a very sophisticated system operating and EVERYBODY pays or faces huge Fines.
What about the non-Portuguese registered car that wanders into Portugal for the weekend and then returns home after a few days - how on earth are they going to enforce payment.

I do not think that London has a road toll. The congestion charge is based upon different things. You do not pay by the KM (or mileage).

As for fines: The Portuguese have extra police on the highways who stop you and fine you, before you leave the toll road, let alone the country. There was a short period of grace when first introduced up in the North.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

bigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nice

As an ex Londoner I cam assure you it is road toll - try to enter the congestion charge area and not pay and you will quickly find out.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

As an ex Londoner I can assure you it is road toll - try to enter the congestion charge area and not pay and you will quickly find out.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I do not include any cost other than direct cost so almost no oil a little tyre wear and 1/6 tank of diesel about 10ltr at around €1.23 so I guess about €13 each way. The use of the EN125 would be much slower so not as much diesel used so cost about the same. Toll charges would appear to be about €7.
I still don't know what will happen to us regular tourists who hire cars. I think a call to the agent is needed. I recognise that when I want to go to Spain I will now need to drive all the way to Castro Marim/VRSA rather than the Spain exit near the O Infante that I usually use. I assume then there will be no charge but lots of queues and congestion because we will all be doing it.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Chesterfield - Derbyshire & Cabanas as often as possible!
Golfister is an unknown quantity at this point

We drive down to Portugal from the UK in our own UK car a couple of times a year. Anyone got a clue how this will be addressed?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
I still don't know what will happen to us regular tourists who hire cars. I think a call to the agent is needed. I recognise that when I want to go to Spain I will now need to drive all the way to Castro Marim/VRSA rather than the Spain exit near the O Infante that I usually use. I assume then there will be no charge but lots of queues and congestion because we will all be doing it.
I spoke to the car hire company I usually use and they had had only one response from the companies they use. It was this:

My advice is to buy a temporary dispositive called here as DT (Dispositivo Temporario), this DT is for sale on post offices (all main airports got one), and them clients must made a pre-payment of 10.00 Euros minimum, this value will be deduced each time the clients use the highway. The pre-payments can be made in any pin Machine – Cashier Machine, called here “Multibanco” or at any pay shop, and are valid for the period of 90 days. I far as I Know after the 90 days it can be re-activated, just do not know if it involves any costs apart from the new 10 Euros pre-payment. It means that the DT could be used this year and next year the same DT could be re-activated but need a new 10 Euros pre-payment.

This DT is for sale at post offices and costs 27 Euros. In post offices clients could also know how much money they spent and if they need to made another pre-payment. Further information could be obtained at post offices.

I assume this assumes that there are barriers you can slot the card into at beginnings and ends of motorway journeys? Clear the car hire companies are not going to absorb the costs.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I do not include any cost other than direct cost so almost no oil a little tyre wear and 1/6 tank of diesel about 10ltr at around €1.23 so I guess about €13 each way. The use of the EN125 would be much slower so not as much diesel used so cost about the same. Toll charges would appear to be about €7.
7 euros is that also each way? quite expensive for the Portuguese and Spanish locals isn't it? Shopping for food and fuel in Spain will not be economical for them any longer but I think they do have a very low road fund tax. Looks like the motorway will be very quiet for some time whilst motorists get used to paying up! I expect the government want to keep spending in Portugal.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really niceBig Ant is just really nice

OK, we're going to go ahead and buy a couple of these ViaVerde devices - one for PT registered car, and one for a UK (tourist) car.

Question: where do you fit them ? And.....if one of the cars is a convertible, where can the device be securely located, and yet efficient for the toll bridges ?

Cheers, NC
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Originally Posted by olivia
7 euros is that also each way? quite expensive for the Portuguese and Spanish locals isn't it? Shopping for food and fuel in Spain will not be economical for them any longer but I think they do have a very low road fund tax. Looks like the motorway will be very quiet for some time whilst motorists get used to paying up! I expect the government want to keep spending in Portugal.
My estimate each way.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

To put things into perspective.
For me to drive to Malaga airport I drive on three sections of toll road, this is one road but the sections around towns are free ( bypass / ringroad )

There are different prices for winter and summer

Section 1 29kms Winter €1.80 Summer €2.95
Section 2 30kms Winter €2.60 Summer €4.20
Section 3 36kms Winter €3.85 Summer €6.20

These are one way prices, it is possible to pay cash or card at manned booths, Card at automatic barriers
Or with a magic box placed in the windscreen, with the magic box you still drive through a barrier but it opens automatically for you. I am informed you can drive through the barrier at 120 k/hr with the magic box, but the idea of driving at that speed towards a closed barrier would require a change of underwear for myself
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
To put things into perspective.
For me to drive to Malaga airport I drive on three sections of toll road, this is one road but the sections around towns are free ( bypass / ringroad )

There are different prices for winter and summer

Section 1 29kms Winter €1.80 Summer €2.95
Section 2 30kms Winter €2.60 Summer €4.20
Section 3 36kms Winter €3.85 Summer €6.20

These are one way prices, it is possible to pay cash or card at manned booths, Card at automatic barriers
Or with a magic box placed in the windscreen, with the magic box you still drive through a barrier but it opens automatically for you. I am informed you can drive through the barrier at 120 k/hr with the magic box, but the idea of driving at that speed towards a closed barrier would require a change of underwear for myself
The last time we came down from Faro after paying a couple euro to cross the bridge there is a free bit and then to the junction with the A22 it cost us €29 which seems a lot but then it is a long way and about 2.5hrs hard driving. What the rate pe rkm is I don't know but I assume it will be the same down here
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

TELL is an unknown quantity at this point

In addition to the toll charge I have read that there will also be speed sensors set at the 60kph speed limit and that these will also record the number of speeding vehicles and fines will follow.
Assume info will be passed to GNR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.