Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

6 weeks summer rental

6 weeks summer rental

Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Emma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant future
Default 6 weeks summer rental

Hi all
we are looking to move out to northern portugal in about 2 yrs, we are planning a requi. this september, to check out some property and to get a feel for the area. and then again in feb (i think its prob a good idea to take a look at a place in winter as well as when its warmer!).. and if all still going well, we plan to rent a cottage or something for 6 weeks next summer. I know, iknow, the best laid plans.. and all that but you have to start somewhere! ... so my query is this, where can i find a place to rent for residential rather than holiday maker prices! next summer .. or will we have to bite the bullet and accept that it'll cost us? ... we are keen to have the opinion of people already living there as we've spoken to several estate agents, and even, would you believe it an agent of an agent! - and the info. is very confusing they are giving us.. please be honest, is it likely that the local belief is that the arrival of the brits is a license to print money!?

all advice gratefully received
cheers,
Regards
Emma
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

nandiroby is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: 6 weeks summer rental

hi emma,
we looked into this some time ago but in algarve not north.we found that the only way to get a good rate was to rent long term 6-12 months so i think you will have to pay top notch.
can i ask why north and which area in particular? i like to hear of the areas we havent yet had a chance to see.
this area is fantastic for chilling out and not to wet like up north or to hot as in algarve-we are in marvao area not far from portelegre-central eastern alentejo.
good luck with the rental and be ready to turn back the clock 80 years!
regards
irene.)
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Emma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant futureEmma has a brilliant future
Default Re: 6 weeks summer rental

Originally Posted by nandiroby
hi emma,
we looked into this some time ago but in algarve not north.we found that the only way to get a good rate was to rent long term 6-12 months so i think you will have to pay top notch.
can i ask why north and which area in particular? i like to hear of the areas we havent yet had a chance to see.
this area is fantastic for chilling out and not to wet like up north or to hot as in algarve-we are in marvao area not far from portelegre-central eastern alentejo.
good luck with the rental and be ready to turn back the clock 80 years!
regards
irene.)
Hi Irene
thanks for the advice - maybe we'll stay a little longer than 6 weeks then!!

we particularly like the mountains and wooded areas - and are not at all bothered by rain and cooler temps during the winter - in fact its a bit of a pull for me, i like weather.... not just sun all the time!.. maybe i am odd!! lol
we have yet to decide which area we'll settle in, and to be honest we are very flexible and have already decided we are not going to have too ridged ideas
we hope to be within striking distance of Oporto as there is an international school there for our daughter - and i understand that although in the main portugal is generally nicely antiquated.. (we like this) the big roads seem very well placed!

thanks for the good luck !! i reakon we'll need it!
kind regards
emma x
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:04 am
Just Joined

nandiroby is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: 6 weeks summer rental

our 3 children all go to the local school and are doing well,maths and english far superior to english standards.
we have no local international school any where near us and it would not have been an option for 3-we would have been bankrupt!
do look at your local schools they have a lot to offer.
regards irene.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Question Re: 6 weeks summer rental

Hi again Irene
we have not totally ruled out the local schools - however we feel we have to weigh up the pro's and con's as and when. thanks for your advice, and if you don't mind can you let me know how your kids dealt with the move and change of schools and language? thanks very much
regards
emma x
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I was wondering why you would want to send your kid to the British school.......unless they are already over 14 or you plan to move back to move back to the U.K(or send the kids to Uni in the U.K......) I think it would be a lot of expense and your kids would not intergrate the same as if they went to a local school. (but thats just my opinion)

Accomadation.....hmmm... We have an empty flat here in the north........ not sure what to do with it, if we still have it next summer......maybe we could come to an agreement?! I think you will struggle to get anywhere for residential prices in the summer for such a short period..... maybe it would be an idea to rent a caravan on a campsite, our local campsite also has the wooden holiday homes at reasonable prices..... im sure many of the campsites must have them.

p.s the north aint really "too wet" as some people seem to think, I don't know where this idea comes from but it seems to be the opinion of most people......even though most have never been here! Sure it has "more" rain than the south....thats why it's so green and scenic here.........HA!!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:16 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be relocating to Leiria either next year or the year after. We have no intention of placing our child in anything other than a local school.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Razzer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nandiroby
our 3 children all go to the local school and are doing well,maths and english far superior to english standards.
we have no local international school any where near us and it would not have been an option for 3-we would have been bankrupt!
do look at your local schools they have a lot to offer.
regards irene.
We've done the numbers on living in Portugal v. the UK and there is no doubt that we could have the same lifestyle for a couple of 'K' cheaper, except of course the potential schoool fees, that add up to about 1200 Euros per month. Still affordable but could do without them I think?

Are the local schools really good and do they also teach English as well as Portugese? We already have a property in Vilamoura, so that would be the area we would relocate to.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:56 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

According to my research....

I'm only saying what I've found out so far as I've not yet made the move but...

From what I've read, most state schools are free. Have very good standards of education and of course, are Portuguese. I think that its an excellent opportunity to give a child the huge advantage in life to be bilingual and to fully integrate into a different culture. Admittedly, it does seem daunting, but that's because we look at things from an adult's perspective. For example, you wouldn't want to start work in a new job and not have the first idea about what was being said to you and around you. So, natuarally, you think it will be the same for your child in school.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Razzer
We've done the numbers on living in Portugal v. the UK and there is no doubt that we could have the same lifestyle for a couple of 'K' cheaper, except of course the potential schoool fees, that add up to about 1200 Euros per month. Still affordable but could do without them I think?

Are the local schools really good and do they also teach English as well as Portugese? We already have a property in Vilamoura, so that would be the area we would relocate to.

Any advice appreciated.
If your kids are still young enough and are not a vital point in their education i.e exam time or 14/15 plus then I see no reason to spend 1200 euros a month on something that will be of no benefit to your child. The younger the kids the easier they will learn the lingo! Many presume the private schools must be of a higher standard but the truth is all the best teachers are snapped up by the state schools(higher university marks and experience) the rest have to settle for temp jobs or in a private school where they teach for around 37 hours per week compared to the 22 or so in the state schools, they also earn less and do not have the benefit of the fantastic state pension teachers of the state schools get. The positives of the private school are that they are almost certain to get good marks and many have better facilities (computers,gyms etc)

p.s In state schools the kids also must buy their own books.

pps I think there has already been a few past threads on this subject
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: 6 weeks summer rental

Originally Posted by gedscottish
I was wondering why you would want to send your kid to the British school.......unless they are already over 14 or you plan to move back to move back to the U.K(or send the kids to Uni in the U.K......) I think it would be a lot of expense and your kids would not intergrate the same as if they went to a local school. (but thats just my opinion)

Accomadation.....hmmm... We have an empty flat here in the north........ not sure what to do with it, if we still have it next summer......maybe we could come to an agreement?! I think you will struggle to get anywhere for residential prices in the summer for such a short period..... maybe it would be an idea to rent a caravan on a campsite, our local campsite also has the wooden holiday homes at reasonable prices..... im sure many of the campsites must have them.

p.s the north aint really "too wet" as some people seem to think, I don't know where this idea comes from but it seems to be the opinion of most people......even though most have never been here! Sure it has "more" rain than the south....thats why it's so green and scenic here.........HA!!
hello there - thanks for your message the schooling is a personal thing and the original thought process that my partner and i have had is all to do with how my daughter would cope, given what she has been through in her life to date - however we have not ruled out local schools, but we have begun our thought process thinking that maybe 12 months in an english speaking school maybe more beneficial to her personally... nothing is set in stone

your flat sounds like a good plan if you have not rented it out already!... if you don't mind my asking, whereabouts is it? and if you are serious do you reakon you could e-mail over details of how many bedrooms & much you'd like etc..?? cheers. otherwise you idea of campsite is a good one, thanks. we'd like to live in portugal for a couple of months, rather than holiday if at all possible.. if you know what i mean ?!? and a camp site may be difficult to get that feel! ..

and we like the greenness of nature and have no aversion to weather - so we like a little rain now and again!

thanks again and hope to hear from you
regards
emma x
Old Jul 21st 2007, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Sent you a PM