Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

4G router antenna

4G router antenna

Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all
Default 4G router antenna

Hope someone has a similar setup and can advise.
Have a Huawei router/modem and get a reasonable 4G signal on Vodafone here in the hills. I used to manage a reasonably steady 2 bars (out of 5) and up to 12mbs. Over the last few months the signal seems to have deteriorated significantly so am looking at installing an external antenna, maybe Poynting. Any advice on whether it would do the job. Which model and where to locate it, I'm guessing as high as possible in line of sight with the mast (about 4km away). PS - ping seems unchanged at around 40mS. Thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4G router antenna

You might like to look at feliztech.com & use the contact page to ask them for advice on the best solution.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Unless you have definite, unrestricted, line of sight to your nearest mast then I would go with an omni directional MIMO antenna.
Even then you may not notice an appreciable difference due to signal loss in the cables.
If you have good line of sight and can mount your antenna with certainty then 2 polarised directional antennas may be better.
Before investing in new kit I did some tests on the roof with my router and an extension lead. I don't have line of sight, even on tip toes! None the less I wanted to see how router performed without the hinderance of walls or windows.Signal was stronger. Measured in routers diagnostics settings rather than just a speed test.
I have a Huawei B593S which now has a Fullband MIMORAD. Even though this is mounted 3 meters above the highest point of our house I still cannot get a good, stable, 4G signal which is enough for streaming. Pretty much the same as without the antenna. That said 3G is a little faster but more stable, but I was hoping for more.
There is a company local to you who may be able to help. I found out about them after I had done mine! Adaptive IT
Good luck.

Last edited by Mike; Apr 26th 2017 at 3:22 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Take a look first at moving the router to a higher point in the house and running an Ethernet cable from it to your PC/TV/Device location (or using a WiFi extender if you don't).

It could be you get a much better signal in different rooms of the house - due often to steel in the concrete creating a 'faraday cage'.

The cheap MIMO antennas for 4G from Ebay work just fine too - cost differential doesn't seem to affect performance much, dearer ones will probably last longer if they are out in the sun.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Thanks all. Up on to the roof it is then.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are u , I did it in a valley North of Tavira , officially no signal , no line of sight over a couple of years of trying and testing various setups if you want to see it.

Sorry just read your location , so local , if you want to see mine just ask and pm.

I get varying meo 3g 4g. Weather matters as does throttling and shaping which they do , local users online or mobile. I range from 1gig to 5 , ping 28 -188. Tv is steady enough as is netflix , android box and the like.

Using a tplink 3420 as router , with ZTE or huawei dongle and mimo antenna in window. BTW my microwave sends it mental.

I have a Giant tplink antenna that might work for you I no longer use which originally was wifi use , it was 100 quid in the day , and another 50 for fitting as I dont do roofs . Also have a unused 3g antenna , directional. If you want them to try out and are handy with soldering iron as I cut the cable on them.

Last edited by algarveandroid; Apr 29th 2017 at 10:23 pm. Reason: edit as lazy reader
Old Apr 30th 2017, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Hi AlgarveAndroid

My secondary router is a TPlink 3220 used with a Three UK (Huewai 353) data dongle feeding Win10-au PC's.

I am using my UK allowance of Data via Optimus. It was really just a test to see if I could get by with using a UK data allowance which Three allow you to do within the EU.

Signal here in Olhao is 5* but my speed has been throttled back so it's basically useless. OK for emails but anything with a lot of images and data, it struggles with.

My main router is from Vf-- fibre, speeds 35-50mbs so I can get most things but not UK BBC live sports commentaries these are geo-blocked. Tried changing the DNS but the settings are greyed out so I am stumped on that one. I can get around that to some extent by using android.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tombo
Hi AlgarveAndroid

My secondary router is a TPlink 3220 used with a Three UK (Huewai 353) data dongle feeding Win10-au PC's.

I am using my UK allowance of Data via Optimus. It was really just a test to see if I could get by with using a UK data allowance which Three allow you to do within the EU.

Signal here in Olhao is 5* but my speed has been throttled back so it's basically useless. OK for emails but anything with a lot of images and data, it struggles with.

My main router is from Vf-- fibre, speeds 35-50mbs so I can get most things but not UK BBC live sports commentaries these are geo-blocked. Tried changing the DNS but the settings are greyed out so I am stumped on that one. I can get around that to some extent by using android.
Many ways to defeat the geo lock , I dont bother I just find a feed from somewhere else , as I dont watch sport doesnt affect me much. I am able to use the settings on my Tv to use Uk easy enough for catch up , LG running webos current version - but how long that lasts before an update to stop it I dont know.

sounds a mental way to use up data on uk device in pt , i ditched my uk data for calls only service , then got me PT mobile data , and as a preferred customer I get 45gig for 22 euros.

U may also have some problems with multiple routers on channels bleeding each other , wifi smog. If mem serves your 3220 3g router can be set for paid DNS , which should mean able to bypass geo locks for a monthly fee. Its in the settings somewhere. There is better routers for this , but they arent cheap.

If you can I would try and remove as much wifi as possible , maybe bulk buy powerline units - but the longer the run the worse it is , more so if you are using extension cables.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Centralbound is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the radio commentaries that always drive me nuts wheras there's no shortage of video streams. I can never defeat the geoblock.
Old May 1st 2017, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Yes all the websites that relay BBC sports live commentaries are geoblocked.

Radio Five live and R.Scotland sportsound are affected. " for rights reasons-------------"