Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Santander to Silver coast opinions please

Santander to Silver coast opinions please

Old Nov 25th 2018, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Santander to Silver coast opinions please

Another request I'm afraid

So I'm planning on driving from Liverpool to Obidos in a 30yr old land rover with a 2 ton trailer on the back in 2 weeks..... why? All part of the adventure!

so tips on routes please? (Yes I've checked online but would value personal experience)

quickest appears to be south to Salamanca then across to Guarda then a23 toll road full length and across to Obidos, however I seem to be able to work out the toll (55+ as class 4) but not whether I have to do electronic or if the a23 has manned cash toll booths?

bearing in mind a max speed of about 70-80kmph any opinions on whether the toll cost is worth it? Time saved I guess not but constant speed with little stopping at roundabouts maybe?

finally any specific info on towing in Portugal?

thanks as always!
Old Nov 25th 2018, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Santander to Silver coast opinions please

having done the journey twice in the last few weeks , I'd go toll roads as they're very quiet and its a pleasure to drive on them if you have a long haul journey.

stop off at salamanca to break the journey , we stayed at the ibis as its cheap for one night and we had a dog in tow and its one of the few dog friendly hotels , has secure parking (not too sure you'd get a trailer attached in there though) on the toll roads go through the right hand lane (usually) and take a ticket ,when you finish the journey enter your ticket and pay the bill (cash or credit/debit card) can't quite remember what roads we were on tbh , just followed the sat nav (eta A8 comes to mind for the route north from silver coast)
Old Nov 25th 2018, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that’s the right route and yes, in our opinion, it is worth the toll cost, especially with a trailer and an old boy Landy - part of the adventure, yes, but don’t be setting yourself up for a nightmare, a trailer and unsuitable Portuguese thoroughfares. Sat nav has in the past sent us down some very unsuitable routes over here, even muddy, woodland tracks! Those toll roads have some steep inclines, but at least they will have a crawler lane. Off of the tolls will be worse.

So, at the Span-Portugal border (Vilar Formoso) just after you cross you will see a sign directing Foreigners/Estrangeiros to leave the road at a sort of service station area. Here you must register your credit card which will be linked to your vehicle registration, for you to use the electronic toll parts of your route, denoted by road signs showing a sort of radar symbol. Price boards will be shown before each camera gantry. However, not all of your journey will be electronic tolls. When you see toll booths, manned or unmanned, you must NOT take the green Via Verde lane to drive straight through, electronic toll registration will not cover you for this. If you do, when time comes to leave the road, you will be fined. At toll booths, you must stop and take a ticket, and then hand over ticket and pay bill when you exit or that part of the road ends. So basically, if you see at toll booth, get in a correct lane to stop at it.

If you’re stopping overnight, Ibis Valladolid is a good bet, Ibis Salamanca will not be a good bet with a trailer!! We have also stopped several times at a restaurant with rooms just off the main route after Salamanca, signposted off as accommodation at La Fuente de San Esteban, but you’ll quickly stop before that town at a wee hamlet called Las Cantinas. Easy parking for you and very reasonably priced. No English spoken but friendly.

good luck
Old Nov 25th 2018, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Just read dingg’s reply. Just to say again, Ibis Salamanca will not be suitable with a landy and trailer. City centre hotel with tight, pokey underground parking. We had a swb, low-ish top Van, no trailer, and sweated on getting in, very nearly never left!!!Yes, it was great for walking our dog at the park opposite and for discovering the city, but in your situation, no, No, NO � ����
Old Nov 25th 2018, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks as always everyone, just checked the route... a25/a23/e1/a15 and as mentioned starting at Vilar Formosa.
Which I think is the route m&m mentions, its quicker slightly and credit card seems an easy option.
Though I'd always prefer to pay cash via the ticket system, and dinggs A8 route looks more scenic albeit it may not be fun going through coimbra with a long trailer!

I'll decide in the next week or so, but thankyou for the answers and hotel suggestions.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

You said you prefer to pay cash at the tolls. We did that in France until we had a bad experience. We had a silly toll of less than 3 euros, feed a 20 euro note into the machine and it just gobbled it up and never gave us a ticket. There was no recourse. We could go to the local marie (closed on Sunday) or try and argue in french via the intercom (it was an unmanned toll). SO ended up paying again with a credit card, which worked.

We learnt our lesson and never, ever pay cash at toll boths.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

My past includes the polar opposite.... twice had toll road payment issues, both times credit card and both times France.
These days I'm in the habit of always having a large pocket full of small denomination euros.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Either way, at Vilar Formoso, you have no choice, as an estrangeiro, but to register your credit card to be charged for your journey on the electronic tolls. I say you have no choice - I suppose you could drive past, not pull off where indicated, but I wouldn’t advise it. You could be stopped and asked to produce your document that the registering machine will give you, and I imagine an unregistered vehicle registration going past the cameras might flag up a need to stop that car. We’ve never had a problem with being incorrectly charged on the credit card.

Old Nov 30th 2018, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need to go register your vehicle and credit card at a Vilar Formosa service station but you may if you desire. I use a pre-paid toll cards. Here is a link to the portal-de-portagens site with English + French + Spanish translations. I get mine from the GALP service station about 20Km further down the motorway near Guarda - there's no electronic toll tween Vilar Formosa and the GALP service stn or sometimes I rent a temporary Via Verde green box if doing a lot of motorway non-auto tolls.

http://www.portugaltolls.com/documen...7-5d660ea3e3ed
Old Dec 8th 2018, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm.... a touch of a stumbling block!
all UK to Spain ferries cancelled today and tomorrow... next 'possible one' Tuesday!

Any suggestions or experience of how often these are cancelled?
Old Dec 9th 2018, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Now showing all ferries full for this week and the service ends until March!
I guess it's a ling drive with fingers crossed through France..... anymore tips and advice for hotels reroute for a 4x4 with trailer greatly appreciated
Old Dec 9th 2018, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
Now showing all ferries full for this week and the service ends until March!
I guess it's a ling drive with fingers crossed through France..... anymore tips and advice for hotels reroute for a 4x4 with trailer greatly appreciated
I am assuming that you intended travelling via Brittany Ferries. They are rarely affected by weather and it has to be bad to stop them. If you are not a seasoned sailor I don’t think you would enjoy a journey in that kind of weather. We have travelled on their boats for more than 10 years now and have to say their biggest ships take the bad weather pretty well. The Cap is in my view the smoothest and the flagship Pont next however for the past couple of weeks Pont has been in dry dock in Santander for annual maintenance and I assume was being covered by one of the economie boats. Both the Etretat and Baie de Seine missed sailings due to the storms and Plymouth - Spain closes for the winter with Pont reallocated to French routes. Portsmouth - Spain still operates and my SIL was on Cap to Bilbao last week back this week and he said it was pretty rough. There is little difference between Santander and Bilbao as arrival points but it would mean staring you journey in Portsmouth.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah sat here in Portsmouth hotel, yes Brittany ferries and I'm not complaining about the cancellations just looking for other options if I can't get on this week.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Just an update in case anybody else who is a member and having the same issues....
via a contact I found out earlier that they have 30 people on a waitlist for the Tue/Wed crossings (all from this weekends cancellations), these people will get the first options if any accommodation comes available (there is space for vehicles etc but no cabins).
Also told that Fridays crossing is full but a strong possibility it may be cancelled also as weather due to get worse from Wednesday evening.

By pure luck and stubbornness I’ve been checking the website every 15mins since last night and just managed to make a booking.... I guess nobody on the list wanted an outside two berth.

My alternative plan (that bizarrely the operators won’t offer as its ran as a different company) which might benefit others and hence I’m posting here was... on Tuesday there is a Brittany ferry from Cork Ireland to Santander, very cheap and lots of availability, to get to Cork there are Pembroke to Wexford ferries running twice a day.

Good Luck
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
Just an update in case anybody else who is a member and having the same issues....
via a contact I found out earlier that they have 30 people on a waitlist for the Tue/Wed crossings (all from this weekends cancellations), these people will get the first options if any accommodation comes available (there is space for vehicles etc but no cabins).
Also told that Fridays crossing is full but a strong possibility it may be cancelled also as weather due to get worse from Wednesday evening.

By pure luck and stubbornness I’ve been checking the website every 15mins since last night and just managed to make a booking.... I guess nobody on the list wanted an outside two berth.

My alternative plan (that bizarrely the operators won’t offer as its ran as a different company) which might benefit others and hence I’m posting here was... on Tuesday there is a Brittany ferry from Cork Ireland to Santander, very cheap and lots of availability, to get to Cork there are Pembroke to Wexford ferries running twice a day.

Good Luck
Well done persistence pays. We did the Santander-Cork run last July OK but it is a slower smaller boat on economie terms. We were exhausted after family visits to Spain so slept most of the trip so didn’t notice the difference. HID insists on a porthole so we always take an outside 2/4 berth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.