Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

200 hundred words in Pt?

200 hundred words in Pt?

Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough
Default 200 hundred words in Pt?

It's often been said that the average Sun reader has a vocabulary of no more than 200 words. Now I know that all the Sun reading expats are in Spain, or Turkey, (forum wars?) but do you think that if I master 200 words in Pt I can get by? Managed for 3 years in Saudi with that many plus of course shouting and arm waving! Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 200 hundred words in Pt?

I think you can get by with a lot less that 200 words..... I guess I have about a 10th of that and only rarely have a problem...... I'd like more and am trying to learn more but that said, I usually manage to get by with what I have.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, is that an Irish accent?
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

British by birth and English by the grace of God but spent a large part of my life kicking around Africa and lived in South Africa for 12 years before we moved to PT about 21 months ago. (I'm more comfortable in Africa than England)

FWIW, I've tried several language CDs & online learning courses and haven't got anywhere at all with them but have recently starter watching the PT news & weather forecast on the box for an hour a day and have learned more since I started doing that than with all the courses put together.

Last edited by mfesharne; Jun 22nd 2013 at 5:05 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 6:56 am
House sitting in Portugal

s5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nice

You know more than you think!!
Most English words that end in "ent" are the same in Portuguese except that they end in "ente" (different = differente) Just emphasise the penultimate vowel and pronounce the last vowel as "ay". differ-E-nt-ay.
That is also true for words that end in;
"ant" (important = importante) import-A-nte
"ible" (possible = possiVel)...substitute V for B, also true for
"able" (probable = provavel)

The Times uses around 600 words in it's musings, the Sun much less, so I think 200 words will be more than adequate.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

I hadn't thought of it like that but of course you're right........ One of the biggest problems in my area at least is the locals speak at machine gun speeds so it's sometimes difficult to understand where one word ends and another begins.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 7:11 am
House sitting in Portugal

s5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nice

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I hadn't thought of it like that but of course you're right........ One of the biggest problems in my area at least is the locals speak at machine gun speeds so it's sometimes difficult to understand where one word ends and another begins.
I actually got that info from the Michel Thomas course, so can't claim it as my own. Unfortunately Michel passed away and did not narrate the Portuguese course, so in my opinion it is nowhere near as good as, say, the Spanish course.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

s5tuart many thanks for that, I am also struggling with books & CDs so I'm hoping immersion helps. That's how I learned Arabic
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
British by birth and English by the grace of God but spent a large part of my life kicking around Africa and lived in South Africa for 12 years before we moved to PT about 21 months ago. (I'm more comfortable in Africa than England)

FWIW, I've tried several language CDs & online learning courses and haven't got anywhere at all with them but have recently starter watching the PT news & weather forecast on the box for an hour a day and have learned more since I started doing that than with all the courses put together.
+ get PT newspaper ever now and then , once you get the door open just a bit you will be surprised how quick you will pick words & phrase's
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Ingles how long have you been living in Pt?
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry double post

Last edited by Ingles; Jun 22nd 2013 at 8:41 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

So far no one has owned up to reading the Sun
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daisyman1951
Ingles how long have you been living in Pt?
Since late 80's