Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

12 Points licence

12 Points licence

Old May 17th 2016, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default 12 Points licence

Perhaps this has already been posted but here is a reminder anyway:

After the 1st of June 2016 those of you with a PT licence(and my doubt is if those of us who have their UK licence registered with the IMTT will fall into this too?) will now have 12 points on your licence. In the UK they start with zero and get banned at 12, here it's arse for elbow!

If you're BAD, you'll loose 2 points!

If you're VERY BAD, you'll loose 4!

If you're bad twice in one day, 6 points!

If you have alcohol, 3 points!

If you're drunk at the wheel, 6 points!

If you're caught drunk twice in the same day, no limit to penalty!

At which staged are you in trouble:

Get down to 5 points and you need to do a road saftey course, 3 points and you have to do a theory test, Zero points and you're banned from driving.

It does seem that people getting drunk and driving will feel there is a lesser risk perhaps of getting banned to me. I would also think having to sit a theory test or even the road safety course could be daunting for many who are not comfortable with the langauge.

You can see how many points you have got once you register here:
https://portalcontraordenacoes.ansr....default%2Easpx

p.s If you behave yourself for 3 years you'll get a bonus of 3 points and go up to 15 and 15 is the limit.

Last edited by gedscottish; May 17th 2016 at 4:33 pm.
Old May 17th 2016, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 Points licence

So 1 speeding ticket a year for 6 years and you're done for.
I guess I'd better behave...
Old May 18th 2016, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont know if its backward , doesnt sound too bad. Without a tipple looks like I can get a week out of each licence no problem , hardly worth the effort.

Does anyone know if using indicators is still an acceptance of homosexuality though , thus exempt?
Old May 18th 2016, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by liveaboard
So 1 speeding ticket a year for 6 years and you're done for.
I guess I'd better behave...
I'm guessing that after 3 years it will get wiped, but I am guessing and hoping to be honest as I really struggle to keep my speed down when conditions are good. Would like to know for sure though.
Old May 18th 2016, 5:24 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

After having points deducted, if you go 3 years with no further points deducted, you get 3 points back.