Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

110 voltage to 220 voltage

110 voltage to 220 voltage

Old Jan 21st 2017, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 110 voltage to 220 voltage

Hand held power tools built within the last 4 decades have brush-type motors.
Power frequency makes no difference at all. Many will even work on DC [If you have 110VDC anywhere].
Bench tools will have heavy, efficient synchronous motors that run at mains frequency; if they're belt driven you can change the pulleys but it's posable that they work ok as is. Most cutting speeds aren't that precise.
I'll assume you have no 3-phase tools since those are pretty rare in domestic settings on that side of the pond.
There might be issues with replacement blades, but I think most are the same [25.2mm in europe, 1" in N.America]

There is no 'screwfix' in Portugal, but any 220-110 transformer will do fine, none will alter the frequency; 50Hz in, 50Hz out.
There is a gizmo that will change the frequency, but that's a whole other subject and doesn't have relevance to the subject at hand.

Last edited by liveaboard; Jan 21st 2017 at 5:17 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

angeja is an unknown quantity at this point

As a fellow Canadian who sent over a container with goods two years ago, I had the same question and did as follows:
For the relatively low cost of a transformer ( less than $200CDN and it would handle anything our typical 15Amp breakers can handle) for me it was worth it.
If you own the tools, and foresee relatively light usage, then it is well worth it.
I sent over an air compressor as well as drills, and saws, and chipping guns, etc. All tools that I already owned, They are contractor grade, and to replace them all would cost a lot more than $200. Do take some good quality extension cords. If you want you can PM me, and i can offer up what I learned shipping from Canada. In a sentence or two, here we can get some better quality products for a cheaper price, especially when on sale..If you are sending a container, you can also rent out square footage if you're not going to use it all.
For the small expense of the transformer and if you have the tools, in the bg picture of what you will be going through, it's worth it.
George
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 6:16 pm
Treacle38

treacle38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most builders have a selection of 110 and 240 tools, site and domestic. If they need to use 110 on a domestic job they use a tranny, if necessary a double outlet. You should buy one, no problem!