Reload this Page >

110 voltage to 220 voltage

110 voltage to 220 voltage

Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

neupit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 110 voltage to 220 voltage

Hi

Moving from Canada and wondering if I should bring the power tools. I know I will need a step down transformer but do they really work?? Anyone had experience with this please??

So expensive to buy them all again.......

Thanks!!
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 110 voltage to 220 voltage

I think you mean a step up transformer so 110v tools will work on 240v but if they're quality tools then yes...... it's worth it.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I think you mean a step up transformer so 110v tools will work on 240v but if they're quality tools then yes...... it's worth it.
No, it's the mains that you're "stepping", not the tools - so you "step down" the 240v mains to 110v so that tools designed to run on 110v will work when plugged into the transformer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 20th 2017 at 8:12 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, it's the mains that you're "stepping", not the tools - so you "step down" the 240v mains to 110v so that tools designed to run on 110v will work when plugged into the transformer.
My apologies, you're quite right but well worth doing if they're good quality tools.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it but I doubt it's worth it in the end.
You end up having 2 electric systems, one for your older 110v stuff and another for anything new or replaced. 2 sets of plugs and wires [better bring wall and line receptacles with you if you do this].
Hand-held tools are not synchronous so the higher frequency isn't an issue, but bench tools will run 20% faster. That can be a problem sometimes.

As it happens I was just looking at the transformers you would need; they're not too expensive.
https://www.minfo.pt/pesquisa/result...0v&cat=0&avo=0

I would recommend selling your power tools and replacing them with 220V stuff though. In the end it's just less trouble and it will happen eventually.

+ side; No one can borrow your tools!
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
.... worth doing if they're good quality tools. ...
I generally agree but some motors might run slow because North American mains runs at 60Hz whereas European mains runs at 50Hz.

Other considerations would be whether the tools are old and worn, so the move might make a good excuse to replace them, and whether you're using them in one place, making a transformer easy to deal with, or you're hauling them around to job sites, in which case the transformer will be a PITA.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

You're correct, I'm backwards!
Synchronous motors will run 20% slower on 50Hz than on 60Hz.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on how you intend to use the tools.
If you plan to set up a workshop, then creating a dedicated 110v power network for your tools would not be a problem.
However, if you will need to use them around the house or "on site" then lugging around the transformer will get boring very quickly.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. I think I will sell and buy again over there, seems more logical..... Shame but oh well, living in Portugal is worth it!!!
Old Jan 21st 2017, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

k2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond repute

If your power tools are of good quality I'd hang on to them. 110 volt power tools are widely used by contractors in the UK and Europe for safety reasons, in conjunction with a transformer such as this:

Portable Transformer with 2 Output Sockets 1.5kVA | Site Transformers | Screwfix.com
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:37 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Technicalities aside, the tools will work with the appropriate transformer, so it depends on the quality/size of the tools and how much it will cost to transport them and to buy the transformers, etc. If you're shipping a container full of other goods and have room, then there's no reason not to ship them and "suck it and see" how you get on.

If you do decide to re-buy, you can then focus on the tools you need most and may want to think about looking elsewhere in the EU (e.g. Germany) as most tools will be imported anyway and the tax-saving may make the transport worthwhile....

Enjoy the move!
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

I'll admit I know little about the difference in volts, and less about the hertz.....

My thoughts are,
If you're coming over to do work on your own place, then you plug the extension lead into the transformer and then crack on with the tools you know and trust. If the extension has a "foreign" socket, then Portuguese tools can't be pluged in in error.
Working with 110v is safer hence building sites insist on "yellow 110v" cables.
What's the 2nd hand value of tools? If they have a high depreciation you might as well wear them out.
If you have a tool that's not available in Europe then you'll still need to run the transformer, same as a rarely used tool... is it worth replacing it.

My only concern is the hertz thing. Will the tools be safe working slower? Will it kill the motor prematurely?

Paul
Old Jan 21st 2017, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Just asked my lad (he's an electrician in the UK); he tells me that a lot of the power tools they use at work here are 110; apparently it's safer. They do need a separate supply and the transformers are readily available and not that expensive (£65 from Screwfix).
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

So the difference in hertz from 60 in Canada to 50 in Portugal won't be an issue with the transformer from Screwfix??

Thanks so much everyone!!!
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say anything about the Screwfix transformer; he doesn't use Screwfix (too expensive for tradesmen). They were the ones I found on the internet when he said "you can get them in lots of places, like Screwfix". He did say that most modern hand-power tools are designed to be sold/used world-wide and he didn't think you'd have a problem unless you're a tradesman, really hammer them and then to consider any built in cooling aspect to your tools, as any cooling fan will run ever so slightly slower going from 60>50. Does your tool manufacturer have a website forum you can ask on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.