Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

100% Reduction in Airport Charges!

100% Reduction in Airport Charges!

Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Ringo Starr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 100% Reduction in Airport Charges!

In the interest of Algarvian Financial Prudence !! now there is a pocket-full statement "
In an effort to assist the Ailing Algrve Economy, that is tourist based, it would be a good idea if Faro Airport offered 100% reduction in their Airport Charges.

Faro be innovative !! this is how big business is thinking right now. A reduction of 'one olive' in a serving could make all the difference. I would like this idea of some reduction to gain momentum. The more people that drop in 'from the sky' to Faro the greater the spin off in the economy !!

If a reduction in airport Charges could be made then there would be
• more favourable fares offered by all airlines
• more people coming here for short breaks in the shoulder season
• more people coming here for short breaks in the low season
• more people coming here for 2,3,4 & 5 month breaks.
• more life to the place in the low and shoulder seasons
• more money being spent.
• more more more
The clientel that keeps the Algarve alive in the low season are people who are now suffering because of the available disposable income – Don’t forget while here they do dispose of the income
Budget airline Ryanair announced today (July 29th) it is starting 39 new routes this winter to and from the Canary Islands to take advantage of a Spanish tax concessions.
Dear old Michael O'Leery oops freuidan slip
Ryanair blamed high taxes for its decision last week to cut its Stansted flights by 30% this winter.
They also made cuts to its Dublin services, blaming “suicidal tourist taxes”.
Inversely Ryanair is increasing the frequency of flights from Prestwick to Faro
In tough times thinking outside the box is what is needed and believe me anybody with a frugal cell in their body will see the benefits.

No jokes please about standing on flights!
RS
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice
Default Re: 100% Reduction in Airport Charges!

Originally Posted by Ringo Starr
In the interest of Algarvian Financial Prudence !! now there is a pocket-full statement "
In an effort to assist the Ailing Algrve Economy, that is tourist based, it would be a good idea if Faro Airport offered 100% reduction in their Airport Charges.

Faro be innovative !! this is how big business is thinking right now. A reduction of 'one olive' in a serving could make all the difference. I would like this idea of some reduction to gain momentum. The more people that drop in 'from the sky' to Faro the greater the spin off in the economy !!

If a reduction in airport Charges could be made then there would be
• more favourable fares offered by all airlines
• more people coming here for short breaks in the shoulder season
• more people coming here for short breaks in the low season
• more people coming here for 2,3,4 & 5 month breaks.
• more life to the place in the low and shoulder seasons
• more money being spent.
• more more more
The clientel that keeps the Algarve alive in the low season are people who are now suffering because of the available disposable income – Don’t forget while here they do dispose of the income
Budget airline Ryanair announced today (July 29th) it is starting 39 new routes this winter to and from the Canary Islands to take advantage of a Spanish tax concessions.
Dear old Michael O'Leery oops freuidan slip
Ryanair blamed high taxes for its decision last week to cut its Stansted flights by 30% this winter.
They also made cuts to its Dublin services, blaming “suicidal tourist taxes”.
Inversely Ryanair is increasing the frequency of flights from Prestwick to Faro
In tough times thinking outside the box is what is needed and believe me anybody with a frugal cell in their body will see the benefits.

No jokes please about standing on flights!
RS
We fly into Faro quite often and any reduction in charges would of course be welcome, but from my experience, the UK airport charges are significantly higher than those in PT and Spain. Also I doubt if charges were reduced, the airlines would pass the savings on.

If Faro dropped their charges, where would their revenue come from to maintain the services provided, i.e. baggage handling, passenger transfer plane to arrivals etc?

There needs to be incentives to encourage people to visit, but I think it will require more than a reduction in airport charges.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

I dont think airport charges in faro are the problem , they are favourable compared to elesewhere , however its the old adage of "less work and the greedy only charges more mentality" which doesnt work.Short termism doesnt work.

The algarve off season should be tackled , agree totally , the whole of the off season should make more income than the august season ever so easilly.This mayor and his idea of a tourist tax should be taken outside and slapped about a bit , can there be an anti tourist sentiment creeping in ...well an anti non national tourist sentiment to be more precise.

30 quid each way for a flight from the uk is above and beyond reasonable from the budget airlines , a similar flight with b.a instead (with a bloody stop) costs 400 quid .... and ba is in money problems , I wonder why.

Making more concrete in the algarve is not the solution neither , you would have thought that the lessons were learned , perhaps they are ignored though for the sake of a quick buck......that will only cost them more than two later.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: 100% Reduction in Airport Charges!

I think you have gone right to the core of the issue. Flight prices are only one facet.

The Algarve Without Tourism and those who come to visit the area................ doesn’t bear thinking about
This taxing of tourists I think is ‘Rape’ Rape of the wonderful amenity that this region is, and a wasted opportunity for the Province.

I agree with you it isn’t about more concrete or buildings – it’s about maximising what exists.
Spain have choosen to drop their 'airport charges' to address some aspect of their tourist industry. I am sure there are things that could be done here - and done better.

Action
Perhaps if someone who is more of a techie than me could start an internet blog or petition or something! That might make those who could do something sit up and observe.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

golf was a fascination with the algarve councils , they thought that everyone played it , or everyone else wanted the likes of quarteria and albufeira....realised that didnt work so after 20 years of not wanting to mirror the costas then decided to replicate it.

9 months of the year the algarve is under untilised , august as we know the nationals use it , july northern europeans including those on the isle of rain.The rest of the year , empty....like a costa esuri street party.

They want more income then they should tax empties , ie a second home tax if its not used all year , yearly taxes on derelict properties and ruins and eventually the govt take them and sell them off at auctions.This creates filled apartments/villas , ie the owners of empties HAVE to rent it out just to pay the tax and thus the income increases in the region , rental prices come down and renters benefit to the point of long weekends become affordable thus creating even more income ....this is entirely different to making more m2 to get more income which imo is like shooting yourself in the foot to get handicapped parking.

The first cheap airline that brings in a garunteed apartment private rental service will be a very rich one.Its a market that is there but with no direction , perhaps an official body not unlike a union would help satisfy the renter , leaser and airline that its in all thier best interests to make/save some money.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by masterbaits
golf was a fascination with the algarve councils , they thought that everyone played it , or everyone else wanted the likes of quarteria and albufeira....realised that didnt work so after 20 years of not wanting to mirror the costas then decided to replicate it.

9 months of the year the algarve is under untilised , august as we know the nationals use it , july northern europeans including those on the isle of rain.The rest of the year , empty....like a costa esuri street party.

They want more income then they should tax empties , ie a second home tax if its not used all year , yearly taxes on derelict properties and ruins and eventually the govt take them and sell them off at auctions.This creates filled apartments/villas , ie the owners of empties HAVE to rent it out just to pay the tax and thus the income increases in the region , rental prices come down and renters benefit to the point of long weekends become affordable thus creating even more income ....this is entirely different to making more m2 to get more income which imo is like shooting yourself in the foot to get handicapped parking.

The first cheap airline that brings in a garunteed apartment private rental service will be a very rich one.Its a market that is there but with no direction , perhaps an official body not unlike a union would help satisfy the renter , leaser and airline that its in all thier best interests to make/save some money.
Taxi charges.

1 weeks ago people who are renting our villa were charged €50 by a taxi driver from Faro to our villa. We regular use a Taxi from Faro Airport to this Villa for €25. This was a group of 6 people so it meant 2 taxis (€100) The taxis were at the Airoprt. I have only just heard of this now and I am very angered by this overcharging. Where can this be reported?