Starting Fresh in Aus/NZ

Old Jan 4th 2017, 5:52 am
Just Joined

MarkyGBR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting Fresh in Aus/NZ

Hi, had lurked this forum a few times but never thought to post here, was encouraged to post here by someone at police.community forum! I'll just quote what I posted there as I never really managed to get a clear response. Really appreciate any replies!

This is arguably a little premature still as I'm only half way through my degree so really won't be looking to do this for another 2 years from now, but-- it doesn't hurt to start research early and plan for the best route.

--

So, a bit of a small backstory (I'll keep it short!). I'm doing a Policing degree at University, I've been a Special for over a year now and I've always had a desire to live/work abroad. Since my passion is still to be a bobby, I'd like to take what little experience I have as a Special and what I'm learning through my degree abroad and start fresh. Don't get me wrong, I love the UK but I'd love to be able to live somewhere new whilst I'm young.

Seeing how NZ/AUS share a lot of common values with us, both in terms of culture (to a point) and from a policing/criminal-justice PoV, and how standards of living over there are quite something-- that is where I have ultimately set my goal.

--

However, how I actually go about this is an entirely other matter. I've done a small amount of research into visas and the recruitment criteria, and as you have to be a citizen in both countries, I researched on how you'd go about this. It would appear you'd need a family member living over there, or a job lined up. I realise people on here aren't immigration experts, and I'm not really expecting that sort of answer, more-- someone who's looked into this themselves, or even better someone who's actually done it!

I remember over-hearing a guy in a specials training event that he was joining WA Police (australia) in a month or so's time with his partner getting a job over there, but never got the chance to ask him how he's doing it! I've heard NZ is a lot easier to emigrate to due to slightly softer immigration laws but having heard so many tales of people who've done it (with what seems to be relative ease) how on earth have they done it?

TL: DR; So really my question is, to anyone who know's about this sort of stuff or has done it themselves-- how do you go about doing it if you have no family over there?

Note: To clarify, I'm not talking about transferring, I'm aware a scheme does exist with WA Police. I'm talking about starting fresh and going through all the training, since this won't concern me as I'm not a PC here.
Now I have read a few of the other (older) threads on here, and since learnt NZ you don't need to be a citizen (only have a residency visa) and some places in Aus you're able to be state sponsored? I was just wondering what people here think would be the best route for me, I realise I should probably seek advice from an immigration advisor but It's always nice to hear from people who've done it or researched it!

Many Thanks,

-Mark.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 2:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting Fresh in Aus/NZ

Originally Posted by MarkyGBR
Hi, had lurked this forum a few times but never thought to post here, was encouraged to post here by someone at police.community forum! I'll just quote what I posted there as I never really managed to get a clear response. Really appreciate any replies!

Now I have read a few of the other (older) threads on here, and since learnt NZ you don't need to be a citizen (only have a residency visa) and some places in Aus you're able to be state sponsored? I was just wondering what people here think would be the best route for me, I realise I should probably seek advice from an immigration advisor but It's always nice to hear from people who've done it or researched it!

Many Thanks,

-Mark.
No State in Austalia is sponsoring at present, theres no need, plenty of onshore applicants.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 8:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Starting Fresh in Aus/NZ

Hi there and welcome to British Expats.

I've only just seen this post . We emigrated to New Zealand 13 yrs ago but my husband had an occupation ( plumber) which was in shortage here.

Back to your query.

Originally Posted by MarkGBR
I've heard NZ is a lot easier to emigrate to due to slightly softer immigration laws but having heard so many tales of people who've done it (with what seems to be relative ease) how on earth have they done it?
To enter the NZ police force you would need to already hold NZ resident status.

With regard to emigrating and gaining NZ residency. This is not so easy as many think.

The skilled migrant route is a points based system and most all applications need a job offer in an occupation where the labour force is seen to be in shortage. Police is not one of those occupations.

At the moment, I cannot think of a route that would help you gain NZ residency at all.