Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

West / South Australia Police

West / South Australia Police

Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future
Default Re: West / South Australia Police

Originally Posted by Spoodles
Hi Everyone, haven't been on this forum for a long time but just browsing and thought I would offer my tuppence worth in regards to living in Oz / Adelaide. We have been here 4 years now and hubby has been with Sapol all that time. At the end of the day no one can make the decision to come here but you and your family and I suppose you will never really know for sure if it is for you unless you do come! We don't regret our decision at all, for us it was completely the right thing to do but we have family here which makes a huge difference. The cost of living is high and if you are thinking of getting by on one wage with a mortgage to pay then I do think it will be a struggle. Friends of ours were thinking of following us out here but made the decision to stay based on financial and family reasons and ultimately life is the same here as it is in the UK. We might have better weather and a slightly different lifestyle but if you are generally happy with life in the UK then why would you go through all the upheaval of moving? We know people who have returned to the UK (some after only 3 months, some after 3 years) but we also have very good friends who returned to the UK only to decide to now come back to Adelaide! If you think you might live with the regret of never having tried then by all means go for it, however, if you can make a go of it in the UK where you have family and friends, are financially secure and enjoy your job then do that. Although we don't regret our move there are days when I wish we had given the UK a 'fair go'. I often look back thinking that we were too much focused on the grass being greener here that we gave up living and appreciating just what we had already.
Hope this makes sense and good luck with your decision.
Quite possibly the most lucid quote I have seen on BE. I would only add that the most important reason for moving is if you are going to look back and say 'what if.' That what if will come back around to bite you somehow somewhere at some point in time. And applies equally to those thinking of returning to the U.K. or wherever as it does to those contemplating leaving the U.K. Ultimately, all issues of money, can I afford it, will I be able to recover if I don't like it etc are quite simply excuses for not doing something. As I always say when people ask how I did it when moving first moving abroad. The only difference between me and you is I got on the plane, boat or whatever mode of transportation you choose to use!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

The kids a healthier future in Oz? really..... what makes you think that?
Husband and i have been here 4 years now. Hubby was from the first intake of Police officers in 2005. It's been a real struggle (money wise) and we (through hard work in the past) came out with a decent sum of money.
Please think really hard about making your decision.
Whats reasons you want to come for and that you are not running away from certain problems, because here in Oz and Adelaide we have them too!
If i can offer one good advice "don't sale your house until you have tested the water here first"

Given the wife some space to think. We live in the lake district and the view out my bedroom window overlooks the fells, don't see how i could better it, but i think for my kids the future in oz is healthier.

All the best!

mb5[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Spoodles is on a distinguished road

I would just like to encourage you to think of what 'Desire' has said - so true. Financially it can be a real struggle here. I had to give up study and return to nursing because we were so fed up scrimping by and now, working three shifts a week I can earn more than hubby working full time on a constable wage! As I have mentioned before we don't regret our move and are very happy but we didn't appreciate what we had until we left it behind. It is a huge decision to make. The grass may be greener for some but certainly not for everyone so if you can make it more a 'working holiday' and not a permanent move then at least you make the option of returning easier.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Charlie389 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also sat the entrance exam last Thursday and await with fingers crossed, a mate of mine joined SAPOL earlier this year and has now finished the training and is out on the street enjoying it, from what he says, it's not so different in many respects, and poles apart in others. If any of you have ever heard of a VPD, you'll understand my elation at knowing they don't exist in SAPOL.
We are moving because my wife's family now live in Oz and when we went to visit them for a month we loved it. My wife is a registered nurse and has extended roles and has looked in to equivalent employment in Oz and it looks like she will be earning a lot more than me which will make a change!
We have 3 young girls and they all loved it when we were out on holiday and keep asking about when we are going back.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:39 am
Just Joined

roy w is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and thanks to Greebo / TZracer and others for these posts which i found v helpful. I stumbled across them whilst researching transferring from UK Police to Australian Police. I am serving Officer with Strathclyde Police (8 years).

I know it's been a while since you originally posted, but is there any up to date info on transferring. I've e-mailed QLD, SAPOL and NSW and awaiting feedback, but anything else you guys can give would be great.

My major question at the moment is about what i should do with my pension. Can it be transferred. Is it best to leave it sitting just now etc .

Cheers for any info.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Getmedownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roy w
Hi and thanks to Greebo / TZracer and others for these posts which i found v helpful. I stumbled across them whilst researching transferring from UK Police to Australian Police. I am serving Officer with Strathclyde Police (8 years).

I know it's been a while since you originally posted, but is there any up to date info on transferring. I've e-mailed QLD, SAPOL and NSW and awaiting feedback, but anything else you guys can give would be great.

My major question at the moment is about what i should do with my pension. Can it be transferred. Is it best to leave it sitting just now etc .

Cheers for any info.
I cant profess to be a financial expert but the consensus of opinion I've received from financial advisers is to transfer my police pension to a QROPS.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

dub-dude is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi people. Thanks for everyone putting up all their experiences, as a newbie to the forum , all this is most helpful.
I am in my researching stages at the minute, and due to divorce this year after a very short marriage ( I am only 24).I have a very different out look on life. Whilst I am only 3 years in service in a uk force, I think as and when I can, I would like to follow my dreams. Best of luck to all those in the process
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

TZracer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, as I posted in another thread, sorry to advise, but SAPOL have ceased the UK Recruiting program after the April 2010 course begins.
At this point, there are NO plans on re activating the program according to the Police Commissioner in the future.
Subsequently to all those considering a lateral transfer to SAPOL would have to gain permanent residency themselves in Australia and apply upon arrival, just as a local recruit would need to.
Or wait and see if WAPOL re commence the UK program there, which there is some doubt as well, due to the world financial issues from what has been in various forums and publications. I suppose you would need to contact WAPOL to clarify the UK recruiting program plans in WA.
But just to reiterate, SAPOL have closed the UK Recruiting program and are no longer accepting applications from overseas.