Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

West / South Australia Police

West / South Australia Police

Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:25 am
Just Joined

allyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: West / South Australia Police

Originally Posted by TZracer
In answer to the first question, well lets just say I've had it easier, SAPOL aren't the most 'employee friendly' service, especially if you get injured on duty, lets face it that happens often here. The new Workers Compensation laws being introduced could see me out of a job soon here anyway, so maybe that answers question 2 (about not sounding happy) In my case if I was a few years younger I'd move on to another service, more than likely Canada, policing is all I really know. Look I really enjoyed it until I was injured and needed numerous surgeries and been treated like a, well I won't say what I feel.
Adelaide is nice, the folks are nice, fuel is expected to rise to almost $2.00 a litre soon!! we are on water restrictions so we can't even water a garden with sprinklers!! you only get a couple of hours once a week to water with a hose. WA is the same though, we are in a drought in Oz. (If you hate rain, you will love it here - none!)
We are still in a heat wave which isn't helping (100 deg F or close almost everyday) The last time we had proper rain was Dec. 19, 2007. That day it rained heavy for a few hours, since then we have had a few little showers, not enough to even wet the ground. Housing in decent suburbs is around the A$300,000+ at present, interest rates are rising almost monthly!
OK with your husband, looks like he has it covered going for his Inspectors exam and a spot in CID. Moving to SAPOL would require him to start as a Trainee again , then graduate as a Probationary Constable, wait for the Senior Constable exam, pass that, pass the course that follows (which he should without hassle) then apply for spots in CIB (CID) They are short of experienced Detectives here, so that would be an advantage for sure. But one thing to consider, his chances of making Inspector (depends on his age) are a far off dream. SAPOL don't have a fast track to Senior (Officer) ranks. You have to pass S/C then Sgt then have University Qualifications in Business or Justice mainly to apply for a 'Bosses' course.
All but one or two of the first course of UK recruits are now out of SAPOL and they other more recent courses are sort of following them. It would pay to visit The Police Association of South Australia web site and read some of the comments in the section marked 'The last shift' read what some have said about the time they have spent in SAPOL. The last issue I think 4 were from UK services.
Again Adelaide is a nice City, but I'm just stating the facts as they are at the moment, I am certainly not turning people off Adelaide or SAPOL for that matter, like anything you have to experience it for yourselves. Some guys and girls have taken the advantage of using their police experience to get here then find other work in Oz, either in Interstate police forces or in the private sector as Investigators even some went into Mining.
Again just look at the Police Association magazine online and even keep an eye on 'The Advertiser' newspaper online, keep up with whats happening here with general day to day stuff.
Thanks, that is really helpful. We'll find the PA website and have a look. We are still very much in the early stages, - sometimes we plan to go, other times it seems there are more cons than pros, (transfering police pension being the worst!!) We hope to come over for a month next Easter to have a really good look around. Maybe we'll have worked out what to do by then!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

TZracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: West / South Australia Police

That would be the best thing to do, check out the PASA web site and the online 'Police Journal, even 'The Advertiser' newspaper, then come over and have a look. As I said Adelaide is nice and so are the people, it's just that some people can lose so much of what has been achieved previously in their career by moving to another service that really when it all boils down to it really don't care too much about previous experience. We have had a former Detective C/Inspector working general patrols in uniform as a probationary Constable, needless to say no longer with us. We had even a D/Supt. go through the process, don't know what happened to him.
The people here in SAPOL and the Association certainly appreciate the experience that most bring, as even though you start off as a Probationary Constable, most times they are 'un officially senior' to the person they are working with as SAPOL has so few experienced operational police officers nowdays. Most of the experienced ones are behind a desk, retired or just resigned.
We all understand not everyone is going to get their rank and seniority back straight off the plane, but it's a long process to even Sergeant, 4 years P/T to gain the Advanced Diploma in Justice Studies, then an exam and course and thats only after you achieve the rank of Senior Constable.
Anyway looks like you guys know what you are doing, so I wish you all the best.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

allyb is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be the best thing to do, check out the PASA web site and the online 'Police Journal, even 'The Advertiser' newspaper, then come over and have a look. As I said Adelaide is nice and so are the people, it's just that some people can lose so much of what has been achieved previously in their career by moving to another service that really when it all boils down to it really don't care too much about previous experience. We have had a former Detective C/Inspector working general patrols in uniform as a probationary Constable, needless to say no longer with us. We had even a D/Supt. go through the process, don't know what happened to him.
The people here in SAPOL and the Association certainly appreciate the experience that most bring, as even though you start off as a Probationary Constable, most times they are 'un officially senior' to the person they are working with as SAPOL has so few experienced operational police officers nowdays. Most of the experienced ones are behind a desk, retired or just resigned.
We all understand not everyone is going to get their rank and seniority back straight off the plane, but it's a long process to even Sergeant, 4 years P/T to gain the Advanced Diploma in Justice Studies, then an exam and course and thats only after you achieve the rank of Senior Constable.
Anyway looks like you guys know what you are doing, so I wish you all the best.
Thank you, - it is such as waste of experiance, but i have to say, can't imagine being a d/supt and transferring back to being a probationer! - they must have had vey good reasons, becasue that would be really hard, what a come down! My husband has only started going for promotion now, for no other reason than improving his UK police pension, so i doubt he'll be too concerned about never reaching inspector in Oz! Do you know how they decide where new propationers are going to be stationed after training? When we joined TVP they asked for 3 prefered stations (albeit they generally ignored your choice anyway) i wondered if they did similar in SAPOL or if everyone starts in Adeladie? -
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

It's pretty much the same with SAPOL, they ask you to submit 3 preferred LSA's (Local Service Area's - that is what a district is know as, can include more than 1 station) But it all comes down to what LSA are most in need. Some people end up in the bush some in the City LSA's.
The Country (Bush) LSA's are sometimes better than the City ones, smaller and more close knit I suppose. The young ones seem to like it with a better social life if there are a few other ones in the LSA, but the down side is in a couple of the Country LSA's the local S*&^bags know where all the police house are!! That can be a bit of a problem needless to say. I've worked in the 2 largest City LSA's and must say you don't get to know too many, with people always moving on etc. just recognise the face and a quick nod usually suffices. My current LSA is the largest with maybe 430-450 people and has one main station and 3 satellite stations.
In regards to rank, he shouldn't have a problem with getting Senior Constable not long after Probation, that's just an exam and course. The pay goes up and is worth the study, after Senior Constable it gets harder and you need the Advanced Diploma etc. Most Sergeants here are in non operational roles as we only have one Sergeant per patrol team (6 general duties and 3 Traffic teams per LSA -in uniforms anyway) and usually only one or two Inspectors per LSA, they are the Operational Officer and usually desk bound. The Sergeant here more or less takes on the role as the Inspector would in the UK.
Anyway good luck and take care.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

mandy474 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mandy, OK now we shall begin with the selection process, it's best to go to SAPOL's web site, that gives you a run down of all the paperwork required such as medical history, driving history so on and so forth. Now there is a lot of paperwork to cover and be careful as SAPOL will only accept complete application packages returned correctly answered in full.
In regards to your work history, well that is pretty straight forward, if you have been a Cop in the UK including Ireland you can be a Cop here, people are people and crooks here are the same as crooks worldwide too. The only thing that hits the guys and gals like a wet fish, is the amount of paperwork (AP's or Apprehension reports as they are called for arrests and reports ('AP reports') require almost the same paperwork even if you can't meet the General orders requirements for arresting a person, then you just submit the 'AP report' less the 'Complaint or Information forms' Still hours of paperwork for what is usually a Conviction with no penalty or a $50.00 fine!! Hardly anyone does time her unless they are habitual crooks (50+ offences-no joke) Then you have another load of documents, TINS/CENS, hand write then type statements, investigate you own PIR's (Police Incident Reports)that you have taken, arrange your own drug tests with forensics, Coroners Investigations unless it's a bit sus...they are terrible, after you deposit the body at Forensics office, remove all items, weigh it, number it etc then the paperwork begins...they really can take a couple of full shifts to complete...well the list goes on, we don't have many civilians to assist in SAPOL, your a one man/woman band! Thats why we need more Cops, the paperwork just never stops and some shifts we dont get out on the road!
Now back on track, the fitness test is reasonable actually, it requires you to participate in the 'beep test' so depending on age it can be between around 6ish for females to in the 8's for males, but depends on age of course.
Then you have to complete the obstacle course, no big deal, no high fences anymore too many injuries) just a run through a maze, lift and drag a 80kg (180lb) sack, run back to a parked patrol car, carry a tyre from front to rear, then dry fire 6 times (no rounds in chamber of course - thats only done here in Oz on the course, you won't use the gun in the UK) from the current issued revolver (yeah old revolvers still) You get 3 minutes or so to get through that which is plenty of time.
Most of the interviews are conducted in the UK and you don't need to travel to Oz, thats better than Canada I suppose.
Now with 10 years on the Job that's considered a lifetime here now, most people you would be junior to until you finish probation anyway, have about 2-3 years in! It's Probos teaching Probos here at present. All cases are looked at individual re: Rec/Prior/learning/Experience. The pays starts at A$40,163.00 P.A. for a trainee, then up to $55,419.00 (pegged) for Constable 9th year. Ex Brit Cops have at least got some help from the Police Association and are completing the Senior Constable (2 chevrons) exam earlier than first allowed. That at least gives them the hope of advancement before you retire (LOL). If you pass the exam and S/C (Junior NCO) Course you can wear the chevrons and you pay starts at A$57,734.00 to $65,560.00 PA after 6 years as a Senior Constable. If you wish to get to Sergeant/Snr. Sergeant you need an Advanced Diploma in Justice Studies (2 years full time or eq. Part time 4 years) then pass the Sgt. exam and Course, then apply for a spot and win it.Sergeants start at A$68,908.00. Hope that helps with pay etc. Oh yeah, those figures are without shift penalties.
Now regarding shifts, we work a 6 week roster, 1- 7 night period during that is night shift 2300-0730 hrs, one full 7 day day shift 0700hrs - 1530 hrs, then most in between are days and arvos with 5 days off straight before night shift. Most weeks you get 2 days off and the days and arvos vary, one week you will work days at the start of the week and arvos near the end, then visa versa. Thats only for general patrols and Station staff. Traffic and other areas work a day/ arvo 3 week roster (no nights)
Regarding the jobs you mentioned, the answer is YES and YES, we have a Child and family Violence unit and a Prosecution Branch. If you want to be a Prosecutor you just have to look sideways and your there, nobody wants it because of the huge workload. But at least you get paid as a Senior Constable even if not qualified. Thats called a Reg. 29 Promotion you get the S/C but can't wear the chevrons. The Job as a Investigator with Child/family Violence is now only available to women, that was a decision made by SAPOL and the Equal Opp. Tribunal agreed, needless to say the guys don't mind as it's a hard job as you would possibly know.
Anyway I hope all that info will assist, it's a lot of info, but we do alot of work too...some shifts you can do over 20 taskings, most with associated paperwork, it all depends on how many patrols are working, some shifts we have had only 2 patrols on! for a huge area. SAPOL have also introduced a system of 'Public Contacts' some call it a quota, if you don't meet it, questions are asked, they don't take vehicle crashes etc into that either, some night shifts you may have 2-3 Vehicle Collisions to investigate and can't get a pinch, but they don't count to your personal stats. Again I hop all this information overload is helpful, as I tell people it's best to know as much as you can before you make that final choice.
Take care
Hi again,
Sorry to be so long to respond to you. I appreciate all your info. I had my second child 6 weeks ago, and she has kept me really busy for the last week and not had chance to respond.

Can I clarify a couple of terms you used. What does shift penalties mean? Is this extra money for working unsociable hours on top of basic salary? And what do you mean by avros? Is this back shifts (late shifts)? You obviously use different police terms to us in Scotland.

SAPOL and WAPOL are not currently recruiting, but I have been advised to keep watching certain sites for any changes to that. It sounds like you've had an awful experience in the Oz police and it's a real shame to hear that. I've worked for 2 police forces in Scotland, one was great and the other is full of people I wouldn't get away with describing on this site.

Look forward to hearing from you again, take care

Mandy.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: West / South Australia Police

Hi again, thats ok I totally understand that with a 6 week old. Anyway yeah here lates are called arvo's (Slang for the afternoon shift) and yes again, the shift penalty rates are added to your basic salary, day shift is 0700hrs -1530hrs and standard rate of pay, afternoon shift her is 1500hrs - 2330 hrs add 15% then night shift you add 25%, same as public holidays you get paid extra. Here you dont usually have a choice they insist you work all Easter, Christmas and New Year, some other bank holidays (public holidays here) you may request a grace day off if you are required to be on duty. A 'grace day' is good actually as you get paid basic day shift rates and get the day/arvo/night off so SAPOL don't have to pay the extra penalties for having police working 'double time' thats twice the rostered shift pay you would have got for working.
Like you it's my second service and at first it was enjoyable, but now I've had enough, but don't want the hassle and cost of moving family etc again, I'm really in a pickle!! Policing is all I know and here I feel more like a fancy dressed clerk. One arrest is usually half the shift off the street, writing notes, booking process documentation, DNA test, fingerprinting/photos, data base checks for warrant, video taped interview (depending on offence) then we begin the Prosecution paperwork! That is about 2-3 hours so long as you don't have to take any statements from victims. We have to do the whole lot ourselves, then it goes to the Police Prosecution branch, the pick the hell out of it and send it back for correction etc. If you are lucky, the villain may get a $50.00 fine! SAPOL in my opinion haven't learnt anything from those of us from other services with more simple arrest/booking processes thats for sure.
Anyway back to SAPOL recruiting, the last thing I read only a week ago was SAPOL were still looking for almost 1000 more in the next couple of years. That is about 380 'New police' and 600 'replacements for anticipated retirements/resignations' It's hard to work amongst unhappy folk thats for sure, just recently a senior D/C/Supt. walked out, wouldn't even give the Commissioner a reason nor would he answer the Commissioners calls!! One minute he was at work the next morning he rang in saying he has quit! recently they put a quota on us, or as they call it a 'Personal contact' in other words they demand a certain number of arrests or reports each week each person, thats been quite unpopular - even station officers have to get at least 12 'personal contact' pinches a week!! So now station staff are issuing 'Infringement notices' to people reporting MV accidents if the person admits to being at fault, or the officer believes the person was at fault. Thats going to cause some issues in Court without a proper investigation of a accident. The whole department has gone crazy if you ask me.
It's crazy they have stopped recruiting, as we need so many more maybe they just went over the allocated visa's who knows.
I have been toying with the idea of moving on like most of the others have, possibly Canada, but as I said it's unfair on the family and going to be a big decision.
In regards to some of the other States here, they will discuss recruiting overseas officers on a one to one basis, with most you have to arrange your own visa thats all. I know every Australian department is in need of experienced police officers, just most haven't got the visa assistance program SAPOL and WAPOL have.
Anyway hope I've answered your questions, take care and all the best.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:16 pm
Beam me up Ozzy

benplows is an unknown quantity at this point

In answer to the first question, well lets just say I've had it easier, SAPOL aren't the most 'employee friendly' service, especially if you get injured on duty, lets face it that happens often here. The new Workers Compensation laws being introduced could see me out of a job soon here anyway, so maybe that answers question 2 (about not sounding happy) In my case if I was a few years younger I'd move on to another service, more than likely Canada, policing is all I really know. Look I really enjoyed it until I was injured and needed numerous surgeries and been treated like a, well I won't say what I feel.
Adelaide is nice, the folks are nice, fuel is expected to rise to almost $2.00 a litre soon!! we are on water restrictions so we can't even water a garden with sprinklers!! you only get a couple of hours once a week to water with a hose. WA is the same though, we are in a drought in Oz. (If you hate rain, you will love it here - none!)
We are still in a heat wave which isn't helping (100 deg F or close almost everyday) The last time we had proper rain was Dec. 19, 2007. That day it rained heavy for a few hours, since then we have had a few little showers, not enough to even wet the ground. Housing in decent suburbs is around the A$300,000+ at present, interest rates are rising almost monthly!
OK with your husband, looks like he has it covered going for his Inspectors exam and a spot in CID. Moving to SAPOL would require him to start as a Trainee again , then graduate as a Probationary Constable, wait for the Senior Constable exam, pass that, pass the course that follows (which he should without hassle) then apply for spots in CIB (CID) They are short of experienced Detectives here, so that would be an advantage for sure. But one thing to consider, his chances of making Inspector (depends on his age) are a far off dream. SAPOL don't have a fast track to Senior (Officer) ranks. You have to pass S/C then Sgt then have University Qualifications in Business or Justice mainly to apply for a 'Bosses' course.
All but one or two of the first course of UK recruits are now out of SAPOL and they other more recent courses are sort of following them. It would pay to visit The Police Association of South Australia web site and read some of the comments in the section marked 'The last shift' read what some have said about the time they have spent in SAPOL. The last issue I think 4 were from UK services.
Again Adelaide is a nice City, but I'm just stating the facts as they are at the moment, I am certainly not turning people off Adelaide or SAPOL for that matter, like anything you have to experience it for yourselves. Some guys and girls have taken the advantage of using their police experience to get here then find other work in Oz, either in Interstate police forces or in the private sector as Investigators even some went into Mining.
Again just look at the Police Association magazine online and even keep an eye on 'The Advertiser' newspaper online, keep up with whats happening here with general day to day stuff.
Wow - are there any good points about SAPOL? I guess only I can know if its right for me...but reading about all the downsides has kinda burst the bubble! The main bit that worries me is the dire warnings re: injuries- I broke my ankle during a violent arrest last yr - back on full duties now with no probs or further treatment.

Is my old injury likely to cause probs with the application? (my Doc's already said that he's happy to sign me off as fit).

Ben
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi ya Ben, Well if the old injury has healed and you are no longer having problems with it, it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not the Police Doctor.

But in saying that if the medical questionnaire is the same as I filled out it's pretty extensive. It's up to the SAPOL Police Medical Officer I suppose.
I have added a few items to this forum, and yes most point out the downsides to SAPOL. The last I added was regarding our new Work Cover (Workers Injury) Legislation. This new legislation has turned this State upside down. The new Legislation basically takes all the workers rights away from them if 'injured on duty'

After 13 weeks off work your pay reduces to 90%, if the injury is serious and they can't get you back to work in 2.5 years, you then lose all benefits including 100% of your pay, medical expenses, physiotherapy etc.

Now 2.5 years sounds like a long time, but there are a number of people here in SAPOL that have been seriously injured and the force is going through changes all the time. They have lobbed all the injured and maimed in the 'non operational' category and been moved from one temporary job to another, if you don't get better well your career with SAPOL is more or less finished. All SAPOL want are bums on patrol car seats, so if your no longer fit for duty it seems like they don't want you as there are very few non operational jobs in SAPOL now, actually bugger all really, unless you are an Inspector or above.

I've been there, I've been injured a few times since I've worked for them and I know what it feels like to be treated like an unwanted commodity.

In regards to the new Work Cover legislation, it's going to screw all of us, especially in emergency services. Things such as basic rights are taken away, they are going to have a panel of Doctors, these Doctors are going to review your injury file and make a decision without actually physically examining the worker. Once they have made a decision, it stands, you can not question it or appeal it, nor can a worker be represented by a Solicitor or Union rep.
Now if it's decided by the Doctors Panel that you are fit for any type of work, no matter what, even say answering telephones, your weekly payments will stop, regardless of whether SAPOL have any work for you!! So in that situation you lose your weekly payments and sit at home as SAPOL can't find you a job along with the other 400+ injured coppers.

Oh yeah, you can't Sue the employer for unsafe work practices either even if it contributes to the injury, so you can't sue them for 'Injury, Pain and Suffering' and retire. You just would have to resign injured and poor and hope some other organization will employ you. Not much of a chance in hell when they ask why you resigned from SAPOL, nobody here would hire a injured worker (or as they call them here- a liability!) Now if you stay on without being paid, SAPOL won't let you find work outside SAPOL whilst injured, so in a nutshell we are in a 'Lose - Lose situation'

You should go to www.saunions.org.au or Google 'ADELAIDE NOW' then search Work Cover and read hundreds of feedback e-mails from workers.
I have been advised the the NPF have been advised and members still in the UK will be advised.

I forgot to mention that the Government is going to make this Legislation retrospective too, that is un heard of in legal circles. It will affect thousands of people injured before the legislation is enacted!! Some will lose their weekly and medical benefits automatically the day the Bill is passed.

It would be a terrible thing to get all the way out here, get injured and lose everything. I wish I didn't join now and looking at other options, the majority of the first courses of ex 'Bobbies' have gone now, back home, other forces or just alternate jobs. I'm considering Canada if the family will support it.
I couldn't do a job like this and know in the back of my mind that I have bugger all support if injured again.

I know all forces have issues, this is my second and I can't say I've talked to anyone lately who is happy, unless they are 19 straight out of training with those usual Probationary Constable dreams of solving all crimes and having everyone love you because your there to help save the world.

My advice is maybe wait and see what happens in SAPOL if that's where you want to work, keep an eye on the S.A Unions website.

Some more advice Ben, tread carefully, it's all changing down under, home prices are rising, interest rates are I think they stated the highest in the world now, normal cost of living has sky rocketed. Take your time, sit down and research it properly mate. Adelaide is great, but you spend the majority of you life at work don't forget, so that has to be a huge decision in considering a lateral transfer.

Take care Ben.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Just another thought to those considering SAPOL, get online and check out the South Australia Police Association web site www.journal.pasa.asn.au
Then scroll down click on 'Journal Online' keep scrolling way down to "The last shift' and read some of the feedback from resigning members, well those that bother sending a letter to the Association anyway.
This Journal there are 4 ex pats that have resigned, I think from memory only 3 mentioned they are ex UK, the other didn't bother.
It's essential to read this stuff if you are serious about SAPOL. I wish I knew about all this stuff before I made the mistake.
Take care.
Old May 30th 2008, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

GTFC is an unknown quantity at this point

WAPOL are advertising in the next 3-4 weeks. Keep checking out the WA website for details

Last edited by GTFC; May 30th 2008 at 7:41 am.
Old May 31st 2008, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Howdy all, I have heard a little story from somebody within SAPOL's middle management the other week whilst I was in HQ and was told, SAPOL Management have re thought the British recruiting drive and have thought that the next round of recruits will be younger less experienced Constables, reason: The older more experienced officers previously sought, want too much when they get to SAPOL, therefore if they hire younger less experienced officers with only 2-3 years experience, they will hopefully not look for RPL (CID, Dog Handlers etc), promotions, instant transfers and so on as the past courses have. Subsequently the less experienced Constables will be more than happy to fill a patrol position just like any other recruit, until you prove yourself worthy, with the way SAPOL is currently you'll be on general uniform patrols for years!! SAPOL still have a staffing issue, they are pulling what patrols they have off the road to fill front counter positions in stations!! it's so sad it's got to that. So guys, some food for thought.
Oh yeah, SAPOL have started a National recruiting drive first, looking at experienced Constables from other Australian States before heading back to Britain. I'll say it again, with the new workers injury legislation coming in soon, nobody will want to be on the streets risking all for naught!!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:49 am
Just Joined

lufc71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I am a serving West Yorkshire Police Officer with 6 years service and like many others I am looking to transfer my trade down under. I have read treads on this forum regarding SAPOL and as a result I will be looking to apply for WAPOL. If there are serving WAPOL officers who have made the switch from UK please post any information regarding their switch.
It will be extremely beneficial to us all who are contemplating the move and will be appreciated.

Can some one shed any light on the first aid requirement (senior first aid certificate) for WAPOL recruitment? What is the equivalent certificate in the UK?

As a serving officer i have undertaken 1 day basic first aid course. Within West Yorkshire Police we can also go on a 4 day course (first aid at work course). Do i need to undertake that one to meet the requirement for the purpose of recruitment?

Any reply's will be immensely appreciated.

Kind Regards
Imran
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lufc71
Hi all,

I am a serving West Yorkshire Police Officer with 6 years service and like many others I am looking to transfer my trade down under. I have read treads on this forum regarding SAPOL and as a result I will be looking to apply for WAPOL. If there are serving WAPOL officers who have made the switch from UK please post any information regarding their switch.
It will be extremely beneficial to us all who are contemplating the move and will be appreciated.

Can some one shed any light on the first aid requirement (senior first aid certificate) for WAPOL recruitment? What is the equivalent certificate in the UK?

As a serving officer i have undertaken 1 day basic first aid course. Within West Yorkshire Police we can also go on a 4 day course (first aid at work course). Do i need to undertake that one to meet the requirement for the purpose of recruitment?

Any reply's will be immensely appreciated.

Kind Regards
Imran
Hello Imran,

I start with WAPol in October, having been through the recruitment process
at the back end of 2006 and the start of 2007.
If you have any specific questions on what was involved PM me and I will
get back to you.

Steve
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Hello Imran and Steve, well firstly Steve you made the right choice of Oz police forces, SAPOL is in a mess and we now no longer have the workers compensation laws, all workers including police have lost basic workers injury rights. And we get treated like kids who know bugger all, all they want are bums on patrol car seats! hardly any original 'Bobbies' are left.
Secondly guys, if WAPOL doesn't work out, you can then move around Australia to other forces once you get permanent residency (Citizenship for FEDPOL) and that time will fly. FEDPOL is hiring all the time and there is big money to be made if you request to be deployed overseas, usually around the $80,000 -$90,0000 +.
All the other State forces have differing recruiting plans for experienced police officers, just they don't have the same plan as WAPOL and SAPOL in regards to assisting with the Visa etc. but once your here and get residency it's going to be a bit easier to move around to other forces.
Again guys I hope all goes well.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

lufc71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Imran and Steve, well firstly Steve you made the right choice of Oz police forces, SAPOL is in a mess and we now no longer have the workers compensation laws, all workers including police have lost basic workers injury rights. And we get treated like kids who know bugger all, all they want are bums on patrol car seats! hardly any original 'Bobbies' are left.
Secondly guys, if WAPOL doesn't work out, you can then move around Australia to other forces once you get permanent residency (Citizenship for FEDPOL) and that time will fly. FEDPOL is hiring all the time and there is big money to be made if you request to be deployed overseas, usually around the $80,000 -$90,0000 +.
All the other State forces have differing recruiting plans for experienced police officers, just they don't have the same plan as WAPOL and SAPOL in regards to assisting with the Visa etc. but once your here and get residency it's going to be a bit easier to move around to other forces.
Again guys I hope all goes well.

HI,

Many thanks for the valuable information that you have posted on this forum. From your knowledge have WAPOL taken steps to take away workers injury rights?? If they haven't are they likely to get involved with this in the future???

regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.