Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

West / South Australia Police

West / South Australia Police

Old Feb 16th 2008, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

g_conaty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default West / South Australia Police

I'm looking at the possibility of applying to West or South Australia Police when they begin recruiting from the UK at some point later this year. Does anyone have any experience of the recruitment process?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: West / South Australia Police

Originally Posted by g_conaty
I'm looking at the possibility of applying to West or South Australia Police when they begin recruiting from the UK at some point later this year. Does anyone have any experience of the recruitment process?
I went through the process with South Australia Police (SAPOL) and got accepted..If you are already a UK Officer and have just a normal level of fitness you will have no problem with them,and I believe the same goes for Western Australia Police.
For some reason I am now a cop in Canada....?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:54 am

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
I went through the process with South Australia Police (SAPOL) and got accepted..If you are already a UK Officer and have just a normal level of fitness you will have no problem with them,and I believe the same goes for Western Australia Police.
For some reason I am now a cop in Canada....?

Go on admit it, you were scared of their creepy crawlies wernt you

mrs minihaha
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

I submitted an application with Calgary Police back in October 2006 and was invited for testing last summer, however, i had to cancel due to an ongoing court case i was due to give evidence at. I have since emailed them to see if i can arrange an alternative date to go for testing but haven't heard back from them.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by minihaha
Go on admit it, you were scared of their creepy crawlies wernt you

mrs minihaha
Something like that...LOL...no it was the outstanding discilpine matter that wouldnt go away...lol..time lapsed and Canada was next on the list..I have to say I love it here so everything happens for a reason..
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:56 am
Beam me up Ozzy

benplows is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g_conaty
Hi, I am very interested in emigrating to Oz, and continuing to work as a police officer (2.5 yrs experience in UK - Sussex). I was not aware of any future recruiting drives by SAPOL or WAPOL - please educate me!!! ([email protected])

I have emailed all of the Australian and NZ recruitment depts, and will happily post any relevant replies that I receive on this forum.

Cheers,
Ben
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:01 am
Just Joined

I've just had an email from South Australia Police who advise that they will be recruiting from the UK for courses due to start in 2009-2010 although dates have not been confirmed as of yet. I would presume it will be at some point later this year though.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:10 am
Just Joined

mandy474 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, i am currently an officer in scotland with 12 years service. we are looking to move to oz but have not got a clue where to start with the process. any info would great thanks
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

TZracer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I would certainly be taking my time in what Australian Police service to select. Here in South Australia all but one or two of the first group of ex Brit police have now left SAPOL !! that's factual, most found it rather backward to what they were used to and found that they were only employed to fill 'bums on seats' as they put it.
Some from the last couple of courses have stayed on so far, but we are still losing them to other services.
Now we have to deal with new Workers Compensation laws, that's going to cause a few issues no doubt, cops will possibly be trying for safe non operational jobs, so as not to risk being injured and therefore suffer finacially from the new legislation and even risk losing your career if you suffer seriously enough to be off for 2.5 years. Trust me, SAPOL have a few long term injured officers off work presently as over 90% of positions require members to meet full operational fitness requirements, even if you 'drive a desk' nods.
I just thought I'd give you guys some food for thought.
The job is OK but like all, it's got it's pitfalls. The Sun surf and sand is ok but remember you spend more time at work than your time off with mates and family, so being content and happy at work has to be a huge issue.
Take care.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:30 am
Just Joined

hi there, thanks for that. we are relly looking to go to wa, as my partner has family in that state.i am currently in cid family protection unit and have been for 3.5 years. i was wondering how hard and length of time it takes to go the process if successfull.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi again, In SAPOL some of the Brits ( that have stayed) have been lucky enough to get into CIB (CID) with recognition for previous experience, but only after the probationary period and then must pass two exams and two courses. The first is one you must qualify for the rank of Senior Constable (2 chevrons) by exam and a 5 day course, then qualify for CIB by a similar way. So it can take a while to get into CIB here in SAPOL, but in saying that SAPOL are short of Detectives like all areas, so thing s change all the time.
I considered transferring to WA Police myslelf, discussed it with WAPOL recruiting and by the fact that I am a Senior Constable was a benefit if I decided to go through with the transfer, as they would recognisee my previous service (17 years in total) and after probation offered to promote me back to Senior Constable.
Let me just say one thing, SAPOL tell all that they can move into 40+ different positions upon completing probation, well lets just say, some of those spots are completely out of reach to the average cop, you either have to wait for someone to die or retire for the position to be vacated, then get on a list of 100 or so for the spot (water police, dog squad etc) I can't comment for the other services in regards to that.
The good thing about that with WAPOL is, when you are promoted to Senior Constable, you can apply for positions 2 ranks higher without further exams. Therefore according to WAPOL, I could apply for and if successful in winning a spot, be a Senior Sergeant in a couple a years. That just doesn't happen in SAPOL, here you need an Advanced Diploma, then sit an exam and course, then apply for almost any spot available. It was tempting (transferring to WAPOL) but I'm getting too old to keep going back to training schools, that would have been the third time.
Let me also say, WA and the capital city Perth are great places, thats my personal opinion anyway, WA is a booming State in Oz.
I'm just hoping to help any of you guys with any questions you may have about SAPOL in particular, as it's a huge thing moving half way around the world, find out it's not what you think and then have to move on again as most are doing.
Personally, I'd go to Canada, I've heard the people are loving it and less paperwork !! here in SAPOL a simple arrest file can take 4 hours to type up!! Longer for serious stuff and uniform here deal with most stuff as CIB are usually too busy.
Hope this info helps all you guys and gals.
All the best.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that information and for being kind enough to help out. How do I go about applying for either SAPOL or WAPOL? And what does the selection process involve? My partner is attending an EXPO in Leeds at the beginning of April. What is the fitness test like and what does the exam involve? Is there any material I can look at to assist with preparation for the exam. Also, is there such a thing as the Child Protection Unit or Public Protection Unit in Australian police?

I have to say, you have made me think seriously about the negative points of the police out there. What are the shifts like and what salary could I expect to be starting on with 10 years service?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Hi Mandy, OK now we shall begin with the selection process, it's best to go to SAPOL's web site, that gives you a run down of all the paperwork required such as medical history, driving history so on and so forth. Now there is a lot of paperwork to cover and be careful as SAPOL will only accept complete application packages returned correctly answered in full.
In regards to your work history, well that is pretty straight forward, if you have been a Cop in the UK including Ireland you can be a Cop here, people are people and crooks here are the same as crooks worldwide too. The only thing that hits the guys and gals like a wet fish, is the amount of paperwork (AP's or Apprehension reports as they are called for arrests and reports ('AP reports') require almost the same paperwork even if you can't meet the General orders requirements for arresting a person, then you just submit the 'AP report' less the 'Complaint or Information forms' Still hours of paperwork for what is usually a Conviction with no penalty or a $50.00 fine!! Hardly anyone does time her unless they are habitual crooks (50+ offences-no joke) Then you have another load of documents, TINS/CENS, hand write then type statements, investigate you own PIR's (Police Incident Reports)that you have taken, arrange your own drug tests with forensics, Coroners Investigations unless it's a bit sus...they are terrible, after you deposit the body at Forensics office, remove all items, weigh it, number it etc then the paperwork begins...they really can take a couple of full shifts to complete...well the list goes on, we don't have many civilians to assist in SAPOL, your a one man/woman band! Thats why we need more Cops, the paperwork just never stops and some shifts we dont get out on the road!
Now back on track, the fitness test is reasonable actually, it requires you to participate in the 'beep test' so depending on age it can be between around 6ish for females to in the 8's for males, but depends on age of course.
Then you have to complete the obstacle course, no big deal, no high fences anymore too many injuries) just a run through a maze, lift and drag a 80kg (180lb) sack, run back to a parked patrol car, carry a tyre from front to rear, then dry fire 6 times (no rounds in chamber of course - thats only done here in Oz on the course, you won't use the gun in the UK) from the current issued revolver (yeah old revolvers still) You get 3 minutes or so to get through that which is plenty of time.
Most of the interviews are conducted in the UK and you don't need to travel to Oz, thats better than Canada I suppose.
Now with 10 years on the Job that's considered a lifetime here now, most people you would be junior to until you finish probation anyway, have about 2-3 years in! It's Probos teaching Probos here at present. All cases are looked at individual re: Rec/Prior/learning/Experience. The pays starts at A$40,163.00 P.A. for a trainee, then up to $55,419.00 (pegged) for Constable 9th year. Ex Brit Cops have at least got some help from the Police Association and are completing the Senior Constable (2 chevrons) exam earlier than first allowed. That at least gives them the hope of advancement before you retire (LOL). If you pass the exam and S/C (Junior NCO) Course you can wear the chevrons and you pay starts at A$57,734.00 to $65,560.00 PA after 6 years as a Senior Constable. If you wish to get to Sergeant/Snr. Sergeant you need an Advanced Diploma in Justice Studies (2 years full time or eq. Part time 4 years) then pass the Sgt. exam and Course, then apply for a spot and win it.Sergeants start at A$68,908.00. Hope that helps with pay etc. Oh yeah, those figures are without shift penalties.
Now regarding shifts, we work a 6 week roster, 1- 7 night period during that is night shift 2300-0730 hrs, one full 7 day day shift 0700hrs - 1530 hrs, then most in between are days and arvos with 5 days off straight before night shift. Most weeks you get 2 days off and the days and arvos vary, one week you will work days at the start of the week and arvos near the end, then visa versa. Thats only for general patrols and Station staff. Traffic and other areas work a day/ arvo 3 week roster (no nights)
Regarding the jobs you mentioned, the answer is YES and YES, we have a Child and family Violence unit and a Prosecution Branch. If you want to be a Prosecutor you just have to look sideways and your there, nobody wants it because of the huge workload. But at least you get paid as a Senior Constable even if not qualified. Thats called a Reg. 29 Promotion you get the S/C but can't wear the chevrons. The Job as a Investigator with Child/family Violence is now only available to women, that was a decision made by SAPOL and the Equal Opp. Tribunal agreed, needless to say the guys don't mind as it's a hard job as you would possibly know.
Anyway I hope all that info will assist, it's a lot of info, but we do alot of work too...some shifts you can do over 20 taskings, most with associated paperwork, it all depends on how many patrols are working, some shifts we have had only 2 patrols on! for a huge area. SAPOL have also introduced a system of 'Public Contacts' some call it a quota, if you don't meet it, questions are asked, they don't take vehicle crashes etc into that either, some night shifts you may have 2-3 Vehicle Collisions to investigate and can't get a pinch, but they don't count to your personal stats. Again I hop all this information overload is helpful, as I tell people it's best to know as much as you can before you make that final choice.
Take care
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

allyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested to know if you regret going to SAPOL? - My husband (19yrs - TVP) has expressed an interest with SAPOL. He is a Sgt now, but has spent the majority of his career as a detective, on various departments. He plans to do his inspectors exam in a few months. Do you know what effect that would have on his transfer / starting position? and potentially how long it would take to get to CID again? We were really quite optimistic about the move, but got big concerns now: You don't seem very happy
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

In answer to the first question, well lets just say I've had it easier, SAPOL aren't the most 'employee friendly' service, especially if you get injured on duty, lets face it that happens often here. The new Workers Compensation laws being introduced could see me out of a job soon here anyway, so maybe that answers question 2 (about not sounding happy) In my case if I was a few years younger I'd move on to another service, more than likely Canada, policing is all I really know. Look I really enjoyed it until I was injured and needed numerous surgeries and been treated like a, well I won't say what I feel.
Adelaide is nice, the folks are nice, fuel is expected to rise to almost $2.00 a litre soon!! we are on water restrictions so we can't even water a garden with sprinklers!! you only get a couple of hours once a week to water with a hose. WA is the same though, we are in a drought in Oz. (If you hate rain, you will love it here - none!)
We are still in a heat wave which isn't helping (100 deg F or close almost everyday) The last time we had proper rain was Dec. 19, 2007. That day it rained heavy for a few hours, since then we have had a few little showers, not enough to even wet the ground. Housing in decent suburbs is around the A$300,000+ at present, interest rates are rising almost monthly!
OK with your husband, looks like he has it covered going for his Inspectors exam and a spot in CID. Moving to SAPOL would require him to start as a Trainee again , then graduate as a Probationary Constable, wait for the Senior Constable exam, pass that, pass the course that follows (which he should without hassle) then apply for spots in CIB (CID) They are short of experienced Detectives here, so that would be an advantage for sure. But one thing to consider, his chances of making Inspector (depends on his age) are a far off dream. SAPOL don't have a fast track to Senior (Officer) ranks. You have to pass S/C then Sgt then have University Qualifications in Business or Justice mainly to apply for a 'Bosses' course.
All but one or two of the first course of UK recruits are now out of SAPOL and they other more recent courses are sort of following them. It would pay to visit The Police Association of South Australia web site and read some of the comments in the section marked 'The last shift' read what some have said about the time they have spent in SAPOL. The last issue I think 4 were from UK services.
Again Adelaide is a nice City, but I'm just stating the facts as they are at the moment, I am certainly not turning people off Adelaide or SAPOL for that matter, like anything you have to experience it for yourselves. Some guys and girls have taken the advantage of using their police experience to get here then find other work in Oz, either in Interstate police forces or in the private sector as Investigators even some went into Mining.
Again just look at the Police Association magazine online and even keep an eye on 'The Advertiser' newspaper online, keep up with whats happening here with general day to day stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.