Upper Age Limit

Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

This Ch@rming Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upper Age Limit

Does anyone out there know the upper age limit for police officers transferring to Australia? I am aware that there is currently an upper age limit of 50 for general employment but I was wondering if the immigration authorities make exceptions for specific occupations.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

notbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Upper Age Limit

There is no upper age limit to join the Police as far as I'm aware due to their comprehensive age discrimination laws. If the age restriction on immigration is 50, I'd guess that that applies to the Police as well.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 3:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by This Ch@rming Man
Does anyone out there know the upper age limit for police officers transferring to Australia? I am aware that there is currently an upper age limit of 50 for general employment but I was wondering if the immigration authorities make exceptions for specific occupations.
At the moment you can't transfer to Australia as a police officer. WA police have not yet announced whether they will be sponsoring this year, and none of the others have shown any interest for a while.
If you could get PR by another route, married to an Aussie for instance, you could apply to a police service once you were here, but you'd be competing against a lot of younger Aussies.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to you both. Very kind of you to reply so promptly. When I said 'transfer', incidentally, I was talking about my skillset as opposed to my current rank and service. I am aware it would be a fresh start in terms of my police career. The position I am in at the moment is that I am 56 years of age, married, with a 15 year old son still at home. I am keen to join my daughter in Sydney who is married to an Australian citizen. Although she had already been granted PR by virtue of her occupation. My oldest son lives and works in Germany so you'll appreciate it's a kind of mixed bag in terms of our eligibility for moving to Australia. I am reluctant at this juncture to approach a migration 'expert' as a number of them have attracted a fair bit of adverse publicity of late. I have also looked at the relevant Australian government website but the whole thing seems rather complex.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

notbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point

Others more learned than I might be able to help with the visa specifics, but I'm fairly certain from my own research that being 56 will not be a barrier to joining the police as long as you have PR status first.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 5:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by This Ch@rming Man
Thanks to you both. Very kind of you to reply so promptly. When I said 'transfer', incidentally, I was talking about my skillset as opposed to my current rank and service. I am aware it would be a fresh start in terms of my police career. The position I am in at the moment is that I am 56 years of age, married, with a 15 year old son still at home. I am keen to join my daughter in Sydney who is married to an Australian citizen. Although she had already been granted PR by virtue of her occupation. My oldest son lives and works in Germany so you'll appreciate it's a kind of mixed bag in terms of our eligibility for moving to Australia. I am reluctant at this juncture to approach a migration 'expert' as a number of them have attracted a fair bit of adverse publicity of late. I have also looked at the relevant Australian government website but the whole thing seems rather complex.
Well....at 56 you are very unlikely to be able to get a skills visa. Once you are over 45 you don't get any points for age, and over 50 its virtually impossible to move to Aus in the skills stream - you'd need something extremely ununsual and valuable, and probably need sponsorship as well. I can't envisage any way it could be done. A police background doesn't make you "unusual" enough I'm afraid.
You'd need to l;ook, I think, at a Parent visa of some sort, and even that might be impossible as you need to meet things like the balance of family test - one daughter here, son in Germany, son in the UK - I don't have enough knowledge of parent visas to say for certain whether it could be done, as I don't know how it would work with your youngest being only 15.
Try posting in our Aus Immigration forum and someone else will no doubt be able to help more than me on that front

Alternatively there are some highly recommended agents that post on here that could review all your options - George Lombard, Alan Collet and TeeTMI all post in our Immigration forum and have great reputations
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Once again, I am indebted to you both for your time and effort. And I tend to agree with you, Pollyana, that professional help is what I really need at this juncture. Take care meantime.