Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

UK Police Officer Wanting the AMERICAN DREAM

UK Police Officer Wanting the AMERICAN DREAM

Old Jul 29th 2005, 9:39 pm
Adopt me????!!!!!

serdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Police Officer Wanting the AMERICAN DREAM

What happened to you? Just curious..
Old Jul 29th 2005, 9:43 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
S Visa is Suitable For:
Foreign nationals in possession of critical and reliable information concerning a criminal or terrorist organization or enterprise, willing to supply information to Federal or State law enforcement authorities
Foreign nationals whose presence in the U.S. is essential to the success of an authorized criminal investigation or the successful prosecution of an individual involved in a criminal organization or enterprise
That would be the 'Snitch' Visa then Ray
Old Jul 29th 2005, 9:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
That would be the 'Snitch' Visa then Ray
Yes ..a very useful visa I might add....
Old Aug 12th 2005, 8:31 pm
Adopt me????!!!!!

serdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud of

What has happened to you? Are you still here?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:33 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

I want to be a cop but i wasnt one in the UK. I need to be a citizen but have only been a legal alien in the USa for 3 months. Should i apply right away for citizenship?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thackattack
I want to be a cop but i wasnt one in the UK. I need to be a citizen but have only been a legal alien in the USa for 3 months. Should i apply right away for citizenship?

You can't apply for citizenship until you've been a LPR for 3 years (marriage-based) or 5 years (others).

Make sure you have applied for selective service if aged 18-26...
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thackattack
I need to be a citizen
Not necessarily -- it depends on the department.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You can't apply for citizenship until you've been a LPR for 3 years (marriage-based) or 5 years (others).
could join the armed forces and get an active posting, be allowed to apply for citizenship straight away then, still takes however long to get citizenship though, unless you get killed in which case you get it as soon as your buried
Old Mar 7th 2006, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

napes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello mate,

Im an ex Met PC who's over here on a green card and now back on the Job over here in the states...

It is a popular rumour that you cant be a cop here unless your a USC - Trust me ive done a LOT of research into this...There are 16 states where you can become a cop here on just a green card, the rest require us citizenship.

Of course the only problem is getting a green card in the 1st place.

I do know a couple of US departments that WILL sponsor you for your green card, BUT you HAVE TO HAVE a degree... doesnt matter if your billy big bollocks back home, they want a degree to sponsor you - no exceptions.

PM me and ill point you in the right direction.

M

P.S. - Dont loose faith, it can be done... darn hard and expensive! but it can be done!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:57 am
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

SOme departments within the police do not require citizenship but to be an actual police officer in Texas you do. They take people up to the age of 45 so i am good for a while yet! Its really nice to see someone has done it though, to prove it can be done.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Jayzee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Sorry to be a negative voice but I was living in US a few years ago (Illinois). The PD there did not require that you were a citizen. I applied and got the job offer. I then got state labour authorisation which means that Illinois were more than happy for me to work in their state. The PD and local congressman sponsored my application to the INS but they refused on the grounds of a police job can be done by an American. Basically if you don't already have a green card I very much doubt you will get to live in the USA from being a copper.

Good luck anyway. I am now Edmonton, Canada bound anyway.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jayzee
Sorry to be a negative voice but I was living in US a few years ago (Illinois). The PD there did not require that you were a citizen. I applied and got the job offer. I then got state labour authorisation which means that Illinois were more than happy for me to work in their state. The PD and local congressman sponsored my application to the INS but they refused on the grounds of a police job can be done by an American. Basically if you don't already have a green card I very much doubt you will get to live in the USA from being a copper.
He's be all set if he married a yank
But getting sponsorship for a greencard is hard anyway if it isn't through marriage, usual routes are a company transfer or exceptional skills with the H1B, which require a uni degree or experience for each year of a degree, about 12 years if you never went to uni....so it's not a likely route to get sponsorship...
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, Texas sucks in that respect... they only made the citizenship mandatory quite recently....

think it was a post 9/11 thing, as before then they were one of the states that would allow you in as just a PR..

Why not move?

Alaska, Hawaii, Vermont, Colorado, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, South Dakota, Oklahoma and Maine are just a few of the states that WILL take you on a PR card for a sworn cops job...

Cali will take you without citiszenship, provided that you are eligible for it and have ALREADY applied (ie are processing) for it.

Theres PLENTY of choice out there

Dont give up....

Obviously the only pesky bit is getting the green card in the 1st place!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bruce SMART
Hi I am currently a police officer in LONDON UK and would like to emmigrate to the US, preferably New York City, and continue my career in US Law Enforcement.

Can anyone provide me with info on how to do this please? Everywhere I have looked states you have to be a US citizen in order to join the police?

What are the requirements for citizenship, timescales etc?

Are there any uk officers who have successfully transferred over to the US?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Regards

Bruce

Hi Bruce

My husband is ex met (Holloway) and now living in the USA

Please do not be put off if you truly wish to live in the States. It can be done you just need to find the correct way to achieve your dreams

We were fortunate enough to have a UK company, my husband was a director of this company and we had to declare our business to the comissioner for approval

Husband resigned from the met and got an L 1 (inter company transfer) and now has his green card.

He did want to become a police officer here , but would mean working in a different area which was not possible due to our business interests

You could wait till you get your 20 years (or whatever it is) get you lump sum, buy a business then move to the US This would be on an E visa.

You may want to check out www.***********.org join and start asking questions

This free organization has been set up by a group of business people to raise awareness to Senators, Congressmen and Judiciary in order to become a voice that will be heard

Do not give up the dream, despite all the problems we have endured with TSC , it is a much better life here
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scatty
Hi Bruce

My husband is ex met (Holloway) and now living in the USA

Please do not be put off if you truly wish to live in the States. It can be done you just need to find the correct way to achieve your dreams

We were fortunate enough to have a UK company, my husband was a director of this company and we had to declare our business to the comissioner for approval

Husband resigned from the met and got an L 1 (inter company transfer) and now has his green card.

He did want to become a police officer here , but would mean working in a different area which was not possible due to our business interests

You could wait till you get your 20 years (or whatever it is) get you lump sum, buy a business then move to the US This would be on an E visa.

You may want to check out www.***********.org join and start asking questions

This free organization has been set up by a group of business people to raise awareness to Senators, Congressmen and Judiciary in order to become a voice that will be heard

Do not give up the dream, despite all the problems we have endured with TSC , it is a much better life here
Hey scatty,

Tell your hubby Hello from an ex EK PC -

He will know what it means!

Mal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.