Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

UK Police Officer Wanting the AMERICAN DREAM

UK Police Officer Wanting the AMERICAN DREAM

Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Police Officer Wanting the AMERICAN DREAM

Originally Posted by Ray
S Visa is Suitable For:
Foreign nationals in possession of critical and reliable information concerning a criminal or terrorist organization or enterprise, willing to supply information to Federal or State law enforcement authorities
Foreign nationals whose presence in the U.S. is essential to the success of an authorized criminal investigation or the successful prosecution of an individual involved in a criminal organization or enterprise
so not just a day in the park...yup, that's almost as unlikely as number 8 *lol*
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:14 pm
Adopt me????!!!!!

serdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Serdwin,

Can you elaborate? Send British policemen to do what at the COPS National Memorial? To represent the British police force or is there something more?

NC Penguin
It is my understanding as a member of Concerns of Police Suvivors, that the Bobbies were here to represent England in 2001. That year, I attended the National memorial as a suvivor with my children. Since then, I have been informed by COPS administration that England has established their own Memorial program and it is a new orginization that was started last year. The point is, they could help this individual seek the correct information since they have knowledge of the US. and hopefully assist him with his quest.

kate
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The IPA (The International Police Association) has a lot of world wide endeavours too
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Bruce SMART is an unknown quantity at this point

To everyone who has replied so far, I just want to say a big thank you as the info has been of great use.

Cheers

Bruce
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bruce SMART
To everyone who has replied so far, I just want to say a big thank you as the info has been of great use.

Cheers

Bruce
Hi Bruce,
I work for a police department, although I am not an officer. In California, as long as you have the legal right to work in the states, and have a green card, you can be an officer. However, they may want to see that you have at least applied for citizenship. Policing over here is going to be alot different, as you might be aware.
Its always entertaining to meet the English cops over here. One says that the accent works for him. For instance, he was trying to break up a hugh fight, once he spoke they stopped and asked him what the hell he said. Hey, it worked, the fight stopped
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Bruce SMART is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SDER
Hi Bruce,
I work for a police department, although I am not an officer. In California, as long as you have the legal right to work in the states, and have a green card, you can be an officer. However, they may want to see that you have at least applied for citizenship. Policing over here is going to be alot different, as you might be aware.
Its always entertaining to meet the English cops over here. One says that the accent works for him. For instance, he was trying to break up a hugh fight, once he spoke they stopped and asked him what the hell he said. Hey, it worked, the fight stopped
I don't suppose you could ask any of these English cops how they managed to emmigrate over there could you?

Ta

Bruce
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice

I don't suppose you could ask any of these English cops how they managed to emmigrate over there could you?

Ta

Bruce
I know a couple came over because of marriage. They pretty much emmigrated for the same reasons as others in the private sector. Just out of interest, why would you like to be an officer in the states?
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the state I think...don't need to be a citizen to work in the police force in maine, but you do if you want to be a cop/sherif...
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the state I think...don't need to be a citizen to work in the police force in maine, but you do if you want to be a cop/sherif...
Right, California is one of the very few states that hire non citizens to be officers. However, you will need to eventually gain your citizenship
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 10:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Right, California is one of the very few states that hire non citizens to be officers. However, you will need to eventually gain your citizenship
Well that's cool
Must be a few more states like that...
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:03 am
Just Joined

BillyBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am currently a police officer in LONDON UK and would like to emmigrate to the US, preferably New York City, and continue my career in US Law Enforcement.

Can anyone provide me with info on how to do this please? Everywhere I have looked states you have to be a US citizen in order to join the police?

What are the requirements for citizenship, timescales etc?

Are there any uk officers who have successfully transferred over to the US?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Regards

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

I am a Police Officer in California and I don't think you have to be a citizen, but you have to have a green card, and have applied for citizenship....but each department is different because we don't have a national police force. In the UK a cop in London is basically trained the same way a cop in Wales or Birmingham is trained. Here you might get hired in one county and not even get an interview in the next county in the same state. NYPD has a strict age requirement...37 years old no exceptions. Miami PD. would look at your experience and background and want you right away...because the education in Florida and the eligible males (most have police records) don't qualify to be cops. Another thing you might consider...is getting and taking a jailer or baliff job then when you are sorted out...go to an academy or get hired as soon as you can at a department of your choice.

I went to the UK about a year ago...when they closed my department ( Housing Police City of LA.) I tried London, The Mets, and Gloucester...the police force was willing to take me serious, but the government said I would have to be a citizen without restrictions. Since no one knows what that means I am stuck here when I really did love the UK and their way of life. I was bitter for a bit because here in Los Angeles it seems that every other cop or supervisor to include RTOs (dispatchers) are Brits.....I even had a Welsh girlfriend that I was going to marry, but living in the UK without a job for two and a half years turned her away real soon.

My e-mail address is [email protected] If you like I can mail you some Police job pages and you can contact these departments on your own.

Keep Safe

Bill Flood
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The City of Los Angeles requires that a Police Officer candidate be a United States citizen, or that a non-citizen be a permanent resident alien who, in accordance with the requirements of the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), is eligible and has applied for citizenship.

During the selection process, each non-citizen is required to prove that INS accepted his/her application for citizenship prior to the date the Police Officer written test was taken.

California State law requires that citizenship be granted within three years after the employment application date. For information regarding citizenship requirements, contact the INS.

MIami-Dade ..you do have to be a citizen..
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BillyBlue
Hi Bruce,

I am a Police Officer in California and I don't think you have to be a citizen, but you have to have a green card, and have applied for citizenship....but each department is different because we don't have a national police force. In the UK a cop in London is basically trained the same way a cop in Wales or Birmingham is trained. Here you might get hired in one county and not even get an interview in the next county in the same state. NYPD has a strict age requirement...37 years old no exceptions. Miami PD. would look at your experience and background and want you right away...because the education in Florida and the eligible males (most have police records) don't qualify to be cops. Another thing you might consider...is getting and taking a jailer or baliff job then when you are sorted out...go to an academy or get hired as soon as you can at a department of your choice.

I went to the UK about a year ago...when they closed my department ( Housing Police City of LA.) I tried London, The Mets, and Gloucester...the police force was willing to take me serious, but the government said I would have to be a citizen without restrictions. Since no one knows what that means I am stuck here when I really did love the UK and their way of life. I was bitter for a bit because here in Los Angeles it seems that every other cop or supervisor to include RTOs (dispatchers) are Brits.....I even had a Welsh girlfriend that I was going to marry, but living in the UK without a job for two and a half years turned her away real soon.

My e-mail address is [email protected] If you like I can mail you some Police job pages and you can contact these departments on your own.

Keep Safe

Bill Flood
Hi Bill,
Maybe you can answer a question for me. I am thinking of moving back to the uk, and was thinking of applying to work for a Police Department in the UK. However, one department I tried requires applicants to have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to application. Is that the same for all departments in the UK?
Thx!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Maybe you can answer a question for me. I am thinking of moving back to the uk, and was thinking of applying to work for a Police Department in the UK. However, one department I tried requires applicants to have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to application. Is that the same for all departments in the UK?
Could try getting an admin type job rather than being a proper cop perhaps as a shoe in?
Old Apr 8th 2005, 3:14 am
Adopt me????!!!!!

serdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud of

[Q

My e-mail address is <<please contact member by PM for email address>> If you like I can mail you some Police job pages and you can contact these departments on your own.

Keep Safe

Bill Flood[/QUOTE]

HUGS to you Bill (survivor)

Last edited by NC Penguin; Apr 8th 2005 at 1:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.