USA and Canada

Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

cleverley1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA and Canada

Hi all,

Pretty sure my phone bill will be triple figures after tonight...either way it may have been worth it.

I used the following link ...

http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~haralds...itizenship.htm

... which although dated gives some direction to which forces may let you at least get your side of the story across before hanging up (which happened a few times...I'm looking at YOU, Alaska!). I discussed my situation (3 years in TVP, degree in policing, uncle is a US citizen...) with a couple of forces who have said that if I send in a cover letter with an application they will take a look and get back to me which is much better than a flat refusal.

So which forces?

I spoke to Chicago and Maine State who I have sent applications to. Maine were the most agreeable but their starting salary is much lower than other forces and a bit out the way (I was cold calling by the time I got to Maine) but it was at least a positive conversation. Chicago was a bit tougher but the gist is that provided you pass everything and get a job offer, you can provide the US embassy with that and they may let you in with time spare to become a resident prior to starting the academy and pass your driving test.

Fingers crossed this will possibly work out.

As for Pasadena, they have said you need to become a citizen within three years (see other thread) but I couldn't get anyone from their recruitment to respond. I tried San Diego but they weren't interested.

In the title I also mentioned Canada. There was a recruitment drive for the Vancouver Transit Police which I applied for and have been told it'll be mid September before they respond. I can only assume as Canadian citizens have the priority that they will see if they can't fill enough positions first before looking at International applicants.

So there you have it. I will try and keep this thread as updated as I can. I did think about keeping it to myself but I'm not the only one with this dream so if this helps anyone else then best of luck!

JC
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA and Canada

There's no visa suitable for the US is there though, so you'd need to get a green card under your own merit i.e. investment or family? Even if you can get a force to look at your application, as soon as they consult an immigration attorney and realise that there's no visa suitable for the position (and that even if there was, it's them that has to do all the work and spend thousands of dollars in fees to bring you over!) they'll soon discard your application surely?

Good luck with Canada though, it's a long shot that they won't fill the positions with so many Canadians out of work, but fingers crossed for you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 13th 2013 at 9:28 am.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

So speaking with a recruiter today he has said if I want to come over for a fitness test/exam next month I can do. Only applied YESTERDAY!

As for the green card you're right they won't sponsor however they will give me a cover letter to present to the embassy to see if that works. Believe me I *know* the chances are low but if I didn't at least try I am going to regret it.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverley1986
As for the green card you're right they won't sponsor however they will give me a cover letter to present to the embassy to see if that works. Believe me I *know* the chances are low but if I didn't at least try I am going to regret it.
Present to the embassy for what? I don't understand what difference they think that makes, you'd need a visa and a letter isn't going to get you one, only a full application would do that.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'd strongly suggest you ask in the US immigration forums about the visa options if you do get a job offer (and a full sponsorship offer - as said above, a letter will be of absolutely no use) as they'll be able to tell you more, particularly if you're actually considering spending money on going over there to take a fitness test. Or was that for Canada?

Best of luck.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Well obviously it'll accompany the I-140 form which I expect I can fill out myself surely?

Don't worry about being negative, this isn't the first time I have looked into this and my head isn't in the clouds or anything.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well obviously it'll accompany the I-140 form which I expect I can fill out myself surely?

Don't worry about being negative, this isn't the first time I have looked into this and my head isn't in the clouds or anything.
Its not about being negative, its about being realistic.

I know people have asked in the past in the US forum on here about moving across to join the police, and it has usually been impossible, unless the subject can get a visa by another route, such as marriage.
Have a read of Pulaski's Ways and see whether your plan fits with any of the pathways there, because if it doesn't, I fear you may not be able toi follow it.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Again, I would strongly suggest you post in the immi forum for advice, it seems you're misunderstanding the process and it's just not that simple.

You need an employer to petition for you to get an employment based visa, hence the need for sponsorship. It's not something you can do on your own I'm afraid.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 13th 2013 at 6:21 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Way it works, you're already in the US with a green card, then depending on how you got the green card, you'll essentially eligible to apply for US citizenship in 3 years if based on marriage to a USC other wise its 5 years.

You need to be a USC t become a cop except in a handful of places that allow you to apply with just agreencard with the eligibility to get citizenship.

You've just wasted your phone bill because you aren't going to get a visa and it's not going to happen.

Very rare chance for police exchange, but they tend to be for pretty senior people in anti-terrorist type roles, just by judging from people on this forum who are cops.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And no county is going to spend several thousand dollars applying for a visa for someone they are not eligible to hire, especially when they have thousands of cops looking for jobs already here, especially all the ex-military that come home, get the degree and do the academy schools.

They would get crucified by the public for wasting money trying to hire johnny foreigner that isn't already here.