Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Is there any chance of moving to a Canadian force?

Is there any chance of moving to a Canadian force?

Old May 8th 2010, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

RustyDonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is there any chance of moving to a Canadian force?

Hi all,
I have been thinking for a while of moving to Canada and the last couple of days the other half has come round to the idea, So it's time to strike while the iron is hot.
From what i have seen by looking on the net the last couple of days, the general opinion is that the Canadian forces are no longer accepting international applications. Is there any chance of being taken on by a BC or Alberta force? I have been a UK police officer for 7 years and part of that time as a dog handler and counter terrorist searcher. Are CT search skills needed in Canada?
I have served 7 years in the British army and spent sometime in Canada which i loved.

Any ideas or tips would be most helpful.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is there any chance of moving to a Canadian force?

Edmonton and Calgary were previously the only police services in Canada who were recruiting UK officers. Due to the current economic climate Calgary only take CV's to consider when and if they open up the international recruitment again. Edmonton will still let you apply but they have drastically cut recruitment in the last year so the situation with them will probably now be like in Calgary for the foreseeable future.

To the best of my knowledge no other forces in Canada will recruit you without PR or Canadian citizenship.

Tim
Old May 14th 2010, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Rusty,

Just to confirm what Tim said really and as regards to the CT side of things. From what I understand, CT work is another agency as a pose to the police. This will be a federal post (correct me if i'm wrong), meaning that you would have to be a full citizen to qualify for employment in that field.
What I will say is, that should you apply to a police service, the experience gained in this area will look positive on your resume.
I was SB for a number of years and it no doubt helped my resume on it's way! lol

Regards

Nige
Old May 20th 2010, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough

Firstly your experience in such as you describe would possibly be recognised but you need to first of all get permanent residency in Canada, then get hired as a police officer, then build up your service. that's three big hurdles.

I am a Canadian citizen resident in UK and serving in UK police and am trained and qualified in CBRN, CT, etc etc, but have been told that only after serving several years in a Canadian police service would be considered for such.

RCMP have primary CT responsibility in Canada and you cannot apply there until you are a Citizen.

Other larger forces have some CT remit such as TPS VPDF but no force in Canada now will consider you until you have PR status, which is easier said than done as Canada has the same attitude to immigration as the UK does what with the economic downtown.
Old May 21st 2010, 1:41 am
Just Joined

mhfoster is an unknown quantity at this point

You may wish to consider the Alberta Provincial Sheriff's Services. They used to be merely court security and prisoner transport, but in the last 10+ years or so, the province has been toying with getting rid of the RCMP as the contracted provincial police force, and re-establishing the Alberta Provincial Police.

To that end the province created a number of specialized units within the sheriffs' department, so that the infra structure would be there if and when the RCMP was turfed out and the APP stood up. The APP would stand up from the sheriffs' department.

There is a counter-terrorist unit, witness protection, warrant apprehensions, surveillance section, highway patrol, VIP protection unit, etc. These are all armed sections. They regard UK service quite highly- the team leader for the warrant apprehension unit out of Edmonton is a former sergeant from a UK TSG, he is also an AFO/ARV relief NCO.

Anyways, you may wish to look there when they hire again in the latter part of 2010.
Old May 21st 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

It may well be that the labour shortage that bought us all over from the UK to Alberta may be returning.

There was a report that 3/4 of all jobs lost in the recent recession have now returned. The oil price is bouncing back and big projects out in the oilsands are now being restarted. I've already seen 'help wanted' signs outside stores and restaurants, next it'll be the larger factories, then it will be the oilfield.