Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Standing on the Cusp of Awesomeness

Standing on the Cusp of Awesomeness

Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future
Default Standing on the Cusp of Awesomeness

So this is how they felt. Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and the other one that nobody can remember. This is how they felt that fateful July day way back in 1969. They’d trained and prepared, prepared and trained some more and then done it all again, just for good measure. And now, here they were, just a few short seconds away from one small step for man etc etc. Neil, Buzz and the other one. Poised, excited, nervous, just waiting for the word to go. Waiting. Patiently waiting.

And now, fast forward 44 years, ironically the age most of you lot are, fast forward to the here and now and we find ourselves waiting. Patiently waiting. Just a few short seconds away from one small step. From adventure, from exploration. We await the word. ‘Houston that’s a go for launch’ That’s all we want to hear.

We trained, we trained hard. We prepared, we prepared hard. We’re ready. We’ve been ready for four, five and some of us six weeks. We wait and while we wait we try desperately not to get too excited, reigning in our thoughts as they turn to golden sands, yellow hot sunshine, cold beers, endless opportunities and a better future for us all away from the grey drabness of political policing.

As we stand here we dream of just what we’ll find, down there, in the unknown. Truth is we don’t know. We just don’t know. But like those three pioneers of yesteryear; Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and the other guy. Like those three we’re all willing to take the chance, to risk it all in the hope that what we’ll find when we eventually take that small, but oh so giant step, will be everything we always dreamed it would be.

We’re crouched on the precipice of our future, teetering on the brink of the unknown and just like 44 years ago, when families gathered together in their living rooms, crowding around there black and white Tv’s, anxiously waiting the news from the intrepid space going threesome, it only needs eleven magical words to push us over the edge. Neil Armstrong did the pushing back then, his immortal words being ‘That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind…..’ and the world was never the same again.

Standing here, on the cusp of awesomeness we simply want to hear ‘Dear applicant, you have successfully completed the required initial recruitment assessment’
And our world will never be the same again.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:25 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standing on the Cusp of Awesomeness

Harry, you've hit the nail smack bang on the head with your comparison of 44 years ago. Seems like we're on a never ending countdown though, just hoping that word from control comes through some time, very soon.

This week? Hopefully, but I think more like next week. I hope I'm surprised and it's all system are go this week.

Standing in the rain at my sons rugby training this morning really made me think of sunnier climes. One day....
Old Oct 13th 2013, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Dinger Bell is an unknown quantity at this point

Buzz Lightyear mate. He was the third astronaut.

To Joondalup and beyond.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Maddjose is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes yes yes...... It's a go go go..... Don't whether to scream for joy or check my underwear...... Thanks WaPol, well very nearly.....
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

bagdog is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a yes for me too. Still not really sunk in and my hands were shaking reading the email at 6 this morning.
Now the fun of chasing all the depts for info to get it in on time !!!

Well done all who've heard.
Those who haven't fingers still crossed for you.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Irishcop is an unknown quantity at this point

Harry a very touching post there and as has been said, you hit the nail on the head. Got my email, opened it with the heart going a dinger and read that all important opening line. Was working late last night so stayed at the folks house, walked downstairs and my face prompted my dad to say 'whats wrong, has something happened?'...think that says it all about my reaction. Felt sick to my stomach with the nerves (good nerves). Sue O'Connor, what a legend, you have made sooooo many peoples days

now to chase up all these checks and get the final ball rolling. PS thanks to you lot I couldnt get through on the DVLA hotline today. So inconsiderate *shakes head*