Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

How hard is it for a US Police to become a UK Police?

How hard is it for a US Police to become a UK Police?

Old May 23rd 2011, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Moto-Moto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How hard is it for a US Police to become a UK Police?

I am a US police officer for almost 15 years now. I used to live in England back in the early to mid 90's. I was just curious how hard it would be for a police officer from the US to become a police officer in England. What would some of the requirements be in order to do so?
Old May 26th 2011, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How hard is it for a US Police to become a UK Police?

The biggest hurdle, I would think, would be the requirement to have lived in the UK for the 3 years prior to applying. I'm sure I've read this is standard now? Perhaps those still in the UK could clarify?

I don't know if a "transfer" is possible - I've not heard of it. Pick a couple of areas that potentially interest you, then scrutinize their websites and call recruiting.

My old force wants you to have completed the Police Law & Community course first (to save them costs and cut down time in training) - and to also show ties to the county.