Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Steve K is on a distinguished road
Default Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Just a bit of info for everyone if anyone's interested.

On the police review website at the moment there are a number of new vacancies advertised for the Royal Cayman Islands Police. They seem to be looking for inspector's sgt's, constables and also firearms officers.

Also St Helena police are also recruiting. Apparently the most remote island in the world!!! Might suit some people I suppose.

www.policereview.com

If the link doesn't work then go to www.policereview.com and have a look at the various vacancies in the careers section.
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:37 am
Banned

Bermudabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

I contemplated Cayman before I joined Bermuda. Had a mate over there who is not renewing his contract. There's been a mas exodus which is why there's so many places they're recruiting for.

Told me a few horror stories about how the violence on the island is escalating to a degree that it's no longer safe for his family.

He said if the hurricanes and earthquakes didn't get him then the low life gang bangers would!! Shouldn't laugh!

On a seperate note, anyone thinking of relocating overseas should check with their force. If you're out the country for 6 months or more, you'd have major problems with vetting when rejoining - provided you want to! Some forces require you to be UK resident for the past 3 years.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Have had a look on the job sections of Police review and the constable jobs with St Helena pay only £8154 per annum and it's a 1 year contract. I assume cost of living out there must be low for that wage???

Tim
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:50 am
Banned

SUN DRIED is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone who is planning to apply to the RCIP needs to know what they are letting themselves in for. I recently returned from a stint and I wish now that I hadn't gone.

The force is corrupt, there was a team from the UK investigating the corruption and apart from a couple of Senior Officers being sacked nothing has changed and nor will it in the future. If an independent team appointed by the Governor can't do it who can?

Morale is at rock bottom and serious crime rates are dangerously high. The force is desperately short staffed hence the advertisements. PC's, local and not have been leaving in droves. Who can blame them when days off are cancelled with no recompense because another gang member has been shot and killed.

You will be expected to police with no body armour yet shootings are common place. An Officer was recently shot at in his vehicle - sadly, it's only a matter of time before an Officer is murdered.

The salary offered seems great especially as it is Tax Free but beware the cost of living extortionate.

When you return - and you will because of the immigration policy, I had to go through the selection process again (I could not get a career break) and I'm now on the new 35 year pension. I was asked a lot of questions about corruption on my return.... It's not easy trying to explain that one....

Yes the weather is great (provided the hurricanes miss) but if you have to regularly work on your days off you can't be on the beach.

As tempting as it sounds be very careful, do your research and think of the consequences when you have to come back to the UK.

Ask yourself would you accept a job working unarmed and unprotected in Kingston Jamaica? I wouldn't and sadly that is where the Cayman Islands are heading.
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SUN DRIED
Anyone who is planning to apply to the RCIP needs to know what they are letting themselves in for. I recently returned from a stint and I wish now that I hadn't gone.

The force is corrupt, there was a team from the UK investigating the corruption and apart from a couple of Senior Officers being sacked nothing has changed and nor will it in the future. If an independent team appointed by the Governor can't do it who can?

Morale is at rock bottom and serious crime rates are dangerously high. The force is desperately short staffed hence the advertisements. PC's, local and not have been leaving in droves. Who can blame them when days off are cancelled with no recompense because another gang member has been shot and killed.

You will be expected to police with no body armour yet shootings are common place. An Officer was recently shot at in his vehicle - sadly, it's only a matter of time before an Officer is murdered.

The salary offered seems great especially as it is Tax Free but beware the cost of living extortionate.

When you return - and you will because of the immigration policy, I had to go through the selection process again (I could not get a career break) and I'm now on the new 35 year pension. I was asked a lot of questions about corruption on my return.... It's not easy trying to explain that one....

Yes the weather is great (provided the hurricanes miss) but if you have to regularly work on your days off you can't be on the beach.

As tempting as it sounds be very careful, do your research and think of the consequences when you have to come back to the UK.

Ask yourself would you accept a job working unarmed and unprotected in Kingston Jamaica? I wouldn't and sadly that is where the Cayman Islands are heading.
Sun Dried, you sound just like my mate who's returning from there. Thought it was him for a moment - had to skype him to ask if he posted on this thread

Incidentally, if anyone wants to contact him let me know and I'll pass on his email, he said he'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Although by the sound of things Sun Dried can also assist.
Old May 6th 2010, 5:17 am
Just Joined

mhfoster is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have access to the Jane's job board. Could anyone post the RCIP firearms officer advert, or PM me with it? Much obliged- thanks.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

ESTM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SUN DRIED

Hello Gents hows it going

I tell you what my mind is all over the place when it comes to making a firm decision with RCIPS.

The previous forums created on this site were dated around 2006/7 and they were mostly negative, i thought that things might of improved over the last 3 years, obviously not.

HOWEVER, i have submitted an application for a constable role and im just going to see what sort of response ill get (If any at all)

Ive been with a force for 6 years now and i am no longer happy in what i currently do. I am also losing the plot with the UK very rapidly and i want to get out asap. Prior to joining the police i lived overseas and have experience in that respect.

Whilst serving over the years i have been looking into all other options, ie NZ, Oz, Bermuda, and i have done some extensive research, i must of gone over the posts a thousand times on this forum just get a reasonable insight.

SUN DRIED i would love it if you could let me know alittle more about what its really like over there, im going as a 26 year old singleton with no commitments, is there anything i should really consider and how many people do you think their recruiting for?

BERMUDA BOUND ive been reading you posts for along time over the years and have seen some great comments from you, did you ever hear anything back regarding Bermuda? This ideally is the place id love to go, but every time i email Sgt Miller she tells me that they are not going to be recruiting for the forseeable.

& MHFOSTER, good to see you on here buddy, i take it that they never got back to you about Bermuda either, ive got the link for you matey, youve got till Friday the 14th of May to get your application in though.

http://pr.janes.com/public/jprjob/do...Text=*%3COR%3E[0.01]%28*%29&email=1

http://www.rcips.ky/files/various_ads_oseas.pdf

Cheers Lads

ESTM (Eddie)
Old May 6th 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

DaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by mhfoster
I don't have access to the Jane's job board. Could anyone post the RCIP firearms officer advert, or PM me with it? Much obliged- thanks.
Have a look at the RCIPS website. It can be accessed from their directly.
Old May 6th 2010, 12:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DaisyD_UK
Have a look at the RCIPS website. It can be accessed from their directly.
ESTM: I've PM'd you.

Daisy, were you one of the batch that started last week? Not sure if they were locals or overseas officers.

I'm trapped in my office and can't get out that much to see you guys!
Old May 6th 2010, 8:50 pm
Banned

ESTM what do you want to know? I will try to answer as best I can. I reckon they'll be recruiting at least 20 plus, there are a temporary group of UK Officers working there at the moment... a very belated knee jerk reaction in the hope of keeping the lid on the shootings. Don't take my word for it read

http://www.caymannewsservice.com/

Check back on the reports of the shootings and corruption and note the 'anti foreigner readers comments' Foreigner = not Caymanian born by the way. The anti comments on there are what you will be likely to experience on a daily basis while at work. It's not always bad but it's more likely than not.

SC I would reply to your PM but I can't read it as according to the administrators I haven't got enough postings!
Old May 6th 2010, 8:59 pm
Banned

Just so I can read private messages
Old May 6th 2010, 9:01 pm
Banned

Ando another
Old May 6th 2010, 9:11 pm
Banned

ESTM, I did write a reply to you but it was blocked by admin for their approval??? It might have because I added a link to cayman news service. Anyway I reckon they will be recruiting 20 plus and the RCIP currently have a group shipped out from the UK 'keeping a lid' on the violence at the moment. Any questions pm me and I will try to answer.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

DaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really niceDaisyD_UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudabound
ESTM: I've PM'd you.

Daisy, were you one of the batch that started last week? Not sure if they were locals or overseas officers.

I'm trapped in my office and can't get out that much to see you guys!
To Bermuda? No. I'm one of the ones they recruited in 2008 that they've given the run around to.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

mhfoster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaisyD_UK
To Bermuda? No. I'm one of the ones they recruited in 2008 that they've given the run around to.
Me too! Me too! I'm not even annoyed any more, I'm amused at the staggering incompetence.

Thanks to DaisyD and ESTM for their info re RCIP. I'll apply for the firearms role for the helluvit, we can all trade stories about the Bermuda-esque runaround we get from FHQ in Georgetown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.