Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

ROYAL CAYMAN ISLANDS POLICE SERVICE

ROYAL CAYMAN ISLANDS POLICE SERVICE

Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:28 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ROYAL CAYMAN ISLANDS POLICE SERVICE

Hi Kilted1

Now that one I can answer.
I have several friends who have worked as SOC and fingerprint experts in the RCIPS. They have all returned to the UK in the last 3 years.
They were treated pretty abysmally to be honest - they had to fight over contracts, which in one case was still not settled after 5 years! Equipment wise things were very poor compared to the UK.
There was one Camanian who came and worked in my area for a while and his attitude seemed to be that all that gets examined is the point of entry (which we all know is not the be all and end all of a crime scene!)
They all returned to the UK with a lot of negative views about their time there.
The persons I refer to were all female and to say they were subjected to constant sexism is an understatement.
Things were seemingly very good at the start of their terms there when the department was run by a British fella, but apparently went very downhill when he retired.

Hope this helps

Dread - x
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

kilted1ecosse is an unknown quantity at this point

Dread,

Much appreciate, cheers for that.
Yeah am not overly surprised going on the plethora of posts regarding cops. I did wonder too that a job advert for head of SOC last year appears to have gone unfilled at best, or the person has jacked it, as the dept seems to run by a local D/I. The job description is pretty bland and the am not sure if the apparent salary being quoted is as good as it sounds.
If you happen to have any contact details for your friends that have come back I'd appreciate further insight.
Thanks again!
Jock
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Tropical Cop is an unknown quantity at this point

Stenev & ESTM

Hope you don't mind me asking you in a post but I can't send private messages.
Having read your previous posts you both seem to be on the positive side of working for the RCIPS. Are you working there now and would you be able to give me any information on working with the RCIPS and Island life?.

Thank you
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tropical Cop
Stenev & ESTM

Hope you don't mind me asking you in a post but I can't send private messages.
Having read your previous posts you both seem to be on the positive side of working for the RCIPS. Are you working there now and would you be able to give me any information on working with the RCIPS and Island life?.

Thank you
You need to have made 3 posts to access your private messages so you've got one more to go.

Tim
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:01 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kilted1ecosse
Dread,

Much appreciate, cheers for that.
Yeah am not overly surprised going on the plethora of posts regarding cops. I did wonder too that a job advert for head of SOC last year appears to have gone unfilled at best, or the person has jacked it, as the dept seems to run by a local D/I. The job description is pretty bland and the am not sure if the apparent salary being quoted is as good as it sounds.
If you happen to have any contact details for your friends that have come back I'd appreciate further insight.
Thanks again!
Jock
Hi Jock

Apologies but I cannot give anyones personal details out on a website or to someone I have not met. I am sure you can appreciate that.

I agree it does sound rather odd that the post remains unfulfilled, especially when it was advertised internationally.
I was once asked to apply there due to having fire expertise, but once I found out who was apparently destined to head up the department I decided against it on the grounds he is a muppet (as in Most Useless Police Person Ever Trained). That said, whether he is the person in charge now or not I do not know.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do anyway.

Dread - x
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

kilted1ecosse is an unknown quantity at this point

Dread,
Yeah no worries, wouldn't really expect anything else but it's always worth an ask. Have thought long n hard and decided to bosh the offer. First time I heard MUPPET was at good old Harperly Hall bar.
AM sticking to wet n cold Jockland for the meantime.
Cheers again.
Jock
Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Ashleyhole is an unknown quantity at this point

Dread,
Yeah no worries, wouldn't really expect anything else but it's always worth an ask. Have thought long n hard and decided to bosh the offer. First time I heard MUPPET was at good old Harperly Hall bar.
Cheers again.
Jock
Hi - I was put off applying for rcip last summer and ended up not sending my application. I always wonder if I made the right choice!

With the cutbacks here I may jump before I'm pushed. So may look to register my interest again.

Tropical cop, did u hear anything of the others that went or may have went last ttime out? They are the ones to check with I guess. Either they're too busy with the job, or they never went and can't answer our queries!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ashleyhole
Hi - I was put off applying for rcip last summer and ended up not sending my application. I always wonder if I made the right choice!

With the cutbacks here I may jump before I'm pushed. So may look to register my interest again.

Tropical cop, did u hear anything of the others that went or may have went last ttime out? They are the ones to check with I guess. Either they're too busy with the job, or they never went and can't answer our queries!
I haven't heard anything...... I did speak to the lady in HR and she told me that they are still looking to recruit experienced Officers. I am tempted but I would really like to hear from the newest recruits about the working conditions etc.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Ashleyhole is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ashleyhole

Well it appears I have dodged a bullet!
Phwaar!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:17 pm

Dread,
Cheers again.
Jock

Ugh Harperley Hall - I found that place so miserable and ugly and apart from the bar there was nothing to do there. They don't even have a sports facility, and the staff thought they were the dogs b........s even though most of them haven't been anywhere near a crime scene in donkeys years!!!

I must admit I too boshed the idea of even considering RCIPS SOC when I saw how small the department was, looked at the Islands' crime profile, then decided that professionalism and job satisfaction may be compromised. I may be wrong, but as things turn out, I have no regrets.
That said, the weather may have been nice, and the beaches are fab...... especially after this recent winter...

Dread - x
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Hello, after my indecision I've decided to take the plunge and I'm starting work with the RCIP in a few weeks!. The cuts, Winsor and Hutton Reviews have all helped to make up my mind. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

mick281 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope someone can give me some good advice. I'm a retired cop with an extensive Police C.V. and I was in touch with a member RCIP but he has moved on. Are they interested in recruiting ex brit cops at all. If so can anyone help.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:27 am
Just Joined

KiwiIntelCop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All ,

Well i have been reading all the post around the RCIP as im and considering applying for a job with them. I am a NZ Police Officer with 8 years in frontline , traffic and currently in Intelligence just wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me :

1. Do they have a intel unit and do they hire overseas cops for it ?
2. I would like to take my family has anyone done this and how was it?

I have served in the Solomons Islands for six months as a police officer and loved it so just wondering if this would be the same.

Thanks

Aaron
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:49 pm

Hi Aaron

I see you're a new member so just wanted to say welcome to BE.

The best thing I can suggest is that you contact RCIPS HR department and ask if they have an intel unit and whether they recruit foreign coppers to it.

Unfortunately all the folks I know who went to RCIPS were singles so I can't help with info on taking a family there - other than your kids would love the beach life, the watersports, and the stingray place. There are also 3 islands so life with a family would be different depending on which one you got posted to (although most seem to get Grand Cayman it seems). Hopefully someone will pop up soon and be able to give you a more detailed answer to this.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best

Dread - x
Old Nov 12th 2011, 9:25 am
Just Joined

KiwiIntelCop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Aaron

I see you're a new member so just wanted to say welcome to BE.

The best thing I can suggest is that you contact RCIPS HR department and ask if they have an intel unit and whether they recruit foreign coppers to it.

Unfortunately all the folks I know who went to RCIPS were singles so I can't help with info on taking a family there - other than your kids would love the beach life, the watersports, and the stingray place. There are also 3 islands so life with a family would be different depending on which one you got posted to (although most seem to get Grand Cayman it seems). Hopefully someone will pop up soon and be able to give you a more detailed answer to this.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best

Dread - x
Hi Dread ,

Thanks for the info and the reply i will contact them and see how that goes.