Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

jackhorner21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police II

I have to say that this post probably has gone on long enough now so in closing before I sign off on this post I would say the following one last time:

Respeck - you are entitled to your opinion as am I and I stand by what I have said, maybe there are those who got a raw deal - perhaps you could enlighten me, if you want to be like those I have previously mentioned and reveal your true identity to me we can have a beer and discuss our views on life here.

Gayman Bobby - I am not running away from anything, I was fully aware of the pension issue when I resigned, I was fully aware of current legislation and how it affected me (I even taught some of it), in my role before leaving the UK I came across some of the most advanced crooks going but that didn't bother me either, I actually liked my job, I had fun and worked with a great bunch of people - but coming here to work is a life changing experience, a once in a lifetime opportuinity - thats the difference and thats why I'm here.

But lets be honest shall we? do you (a) defrost your car at 6am to goto work / stand in the rain outside a nightclub at 3 in the morning or (b) work here where you actually get respect from your co-workers and communties and where you have a better quality of life (who recalls the work / life balance that was promoted in the UK??) - hmmmm not really a tough choice is it.

If the rollover comes to those of us in Government, so be it - if my contract is not renewed there must be a reason (like I said I'm here as long as there is a job for me and the Caymanians see me as an officer in the RCIP) but I will not bitch or moan about it if I have to leave, I'll just go somewhere else (maybe back to the UK, who knows) taking with me all the great memories of this island I now call home.

For the Gang - see you over the weekend and for anyone else who wishes to reveal themselves and be adult about all this, get in touch - the rest of us are gonna hang out over the weekend and you're more than welcome to join us.

Jack

Last edited by jackhorner21; Dec 15th 2006 at 9:49 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

spartacus129 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jack,

See you at Calico's then........oh, we did, it was happy hour as well!

Rather than hiding behind a name on here then do as Jack says and join us for a beer and you never know you may even enjoy yourselves.

The pint glass is certainly half full here and life is good.

I am cognisant that some of you may have had a raw deal in your own experience, however, is that any differant from the UK? For some maybe, others maybe not.

I would be interested to know how many differant people have actually placed negative posts on here, or is it, as has been suggested just one person. Therefore, it's time to come out.

Even if things do get too bad here then rum is the answer!

Anyway, as the Spanish would say....au revoir!!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Respeck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackhorner21
Respeck - you are entitled to your opinion as am I and I stand by what I have said, maybe there are those who got a raw deal - perhaps you could enlighten me, if you want to be like those I have previously mentioned and reveal your true identity to me we can have a beer and discuss our views on life here.

Jack
Why would I reveal my identity to you? and why would I want to have a beer with you? You and your crew have decided that 'Pat Butcher' is a certain person who left with absolutely no evidence that she is said person. You and your crew have been particularly nasty on the world wide web to said person. I don't believe you even knew or met said person as they had left before you arrived. Bit of a soft target don't you think? Are you a bunch of bullies? How would you treat someone who did reveal their identity to you?

As for Gayman's comments - what an excellent post and it sums it all up.

Cayman is NEVER FOREVER.

I also have it on authority that if you can keep you car in a garage (and apparently you can afford to do that on the PC's wage in the UK) there is no need to scrape ice off it at 6am.

I also know from previous experience that if you stand outside nightclubs in the rain at 3am you are either a. very bad at your job as a good PC never gets wet or b. a bit of a perv just looking at totty leaving the club.

Last edited by Respeck; Dec 16th 2006 at 7:55 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

spartacus129 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Respeck
Why would I reveal my identity to you? and why would I want to have a beer with you?
I also know from previous experience that if you stand outside nightclubs in the rain at 3am you are either a. very bad at your job as a good PC never gets wet or b. a bit of a perv just looking at totty leaving the club.
If your names not down you're not coming in.......oh well, never mind don't think you would fit in anyway, you sound rather boring and negative.We wouldn't recognise you anyhow......until you speak and then I am sure we would.

On another note, i think i must fit in the B category, as I dont recall getting wet.

Anyway, can't stop as we are off to Calico's now for a night out.....sure beats Weatherspoons in December.

Last edited by spartacus129; Dec 16th 2006 at 11:57 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 1:08 am
Just Joined

inert-object is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gayman Bobby
Little Jack Horner, inept-object - listen up.

Including you Welsh Craig:

If you think by being here you have escaped something beware:
Sooner or later you will be going back to your mother countries. I have it on good authority that the rollover is coming to government workers make no mistake.

Whatever it is you have run away from in the UK, you, me, and everyone else WILL be going back to it. Maybe you couldn't hack the latest legislation, or found it hard to keep up with the sophistication of todays criminals and found escaping to this caribbean island as a way out. I don't know... but to make matters worse, some will be on the new pension scheme. Which means working an extra 5 years for less pension.

I read you comments to this Butcher person and cringe. Just be careful, you may come accross as a smug so-and-so to some, and how will that look when it's time to come home? And you're in a worse position from when you initially left the UK?

For what it's worth, if you're still convinced this Pat Butcher person is who you think. CID may not be for you. Do you also believe everyones car tax is in the post?

Throughout all these posts, it appears to me Pat Butcher was 'rumbled' months and months ago. But instead of stopping the poster has gotten more and more controversial. All in a bid to demean assumed author I'd suggest.
No, this is clearly someone who has a vendetta against the person. But then that requires some thought on your part. Something, luckily for us, we need not in the RCIP.

Elementary I'd say!
Dear Rhymes with Spindle,

By being here I don't feel I have escaped anything! I have improved my life no end and it just continues to get better by the day! I have no plans to return to the UK at this time, even if I were ejected from the island there are so many other places to go as an expat-cop, and shock horror even more places to go as an ex-cop! If you're staying in a job worrying about a pension that's 25 years down the line then you're one foot in the grave already dear. I am not concerned about appearing smug. I am smug, I've escaped the rat race and I'm living in the Caribbean and doing a job I enjoy! Nor am I concerned about your re-naming me 'inept-object' I have a slew of commendations that would indicate otherwise, and I have yet to be ejected from any police forces! Gave me a chuckle though, good work!

I also notice you are quick to dismiss anybody who is not CID, clearly you feel anybody who is not in that club is beneath you, which indicates to me a superiority complex of the kind that was so decisive between police ranks a few years back. Perhaps you would not be so negative if you remembered we all do the same job and the only end result that matters is the service that we provide to the public, wherever we work. If you feel that the rank of DC is a somehow a promotion then you are either stuck in the 70's or watching too many American Cop shows!

Besides the above I would hardly have to be CID material to notice that 'Pat Butcher' leaves the blog with much fanfare one day and 'gayman bobby' appears the next, having joined in December 2006 and this being 'his' first post! I can deduce that without a 5 week course!

Bye now!
Old Dec 17th 2006, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Why would I reveal my identity to you? and why would I want to have a beer with you? You and your crew have decided that 'Pat Butcher' is a certain person who left with absolutely no evidence that she is said person. You and your crew have been particularly nasty on the world wide web to said person. I don't believe you even knew or met said person as they had left before you arrived. Bit of a soft target don't you think? Are you a bunch of bullies? How would you treat someone who did reveal their identity to you?

As for Gayman's comments - what an excellent post and it sums it all up.

Cayman is NEVER FOREVER.

I also have it on authority that if you can keep you car in a garage (and apparently you can afford to do that on the PC's wage in the UK) there is no need to scrape ice off it at 6am.

Dear RWS,

Particularly nasty? A little bit of banter on an obscure web page? Keep your sense of humour dear, for without that you are truly lost in our profession. I fear you have been away from the sharp end for too long if you find this 'nasty' and bullying', draw some uniform and get yourself down Southend Seafront on a friday night! You defeat your own argument for if as 'you' claim 'you' are not 'you' then 'you' won't be reading this anyway, so why worry? I also find it very co-incidental that RWS has been frantically e-mailing everybody over here trying to find out who is posting what when it so vehemently denied that they take any interest in this site. Furthermore not everybody that is posting here is on the latest UK intake, some of us have fond memories of RWS and her antics! I hope she has not got the impression I dislike her because I choose to defend this pleasant little sand dune we live on.

How would I treat somebody who did reveal them their identity, I'd invite them for a drink, for it is our right to have differences of opinions, and shouldn't be a hindrance to any friendship (some of my best friends read The Guardian, for god's sake!). If that invitation was declined because of a trivial debate then I would only take it as an indicator of a person who is negative in their thinking, something a good police officer never is. If cayman is NEVER FOREVER then it is at the very least a few bright years in our brief experience where we changed our reality and bettered ourselves. If the worst that happens to me is I have to go back to the country I was born in with a load of great memories and a sun tan and resume a job I enjoyed anyway then I'll struggle through! Yes I am aware I'm starting to sound like a hippy.

Anyway, I fear this blog is becoming somewhat irrellevant and it is only a matter of time before we're all moderated into oblivion so I'm going to leave it at that. If you are sitting in the UK thinking of taking the leap then I hope to share a beer (and a scuba dive, and a bar full of cute latinos and all the other awesome stuff this place has to offer) with you soon. Be assured of a warm welcome from both ex-pats and locals alike the moment you step off the plane!

Onwards and upwards all positive thinkers, wherever you may be! (These prozac are great!)

Yours faithfully,

Inept-object
Old Dec 17th 2006, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Cayman is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps it is time that this thread was closed.
It was set up to inform anyone thinking of coming or about to come to the Cayman Oslands as a Police Officer. It is no longer meeting this purpose. It has degenerated into name calling and mud linging.

Perhaps EVERYONE would be better served by getting on with their lives.

For the record, it is likely that the 'rollover' policy will be extended to Government workers although it is also fair to say that the whole 'rollover' situation is up in the air and will be for sometime.

Secondly there are inequalties in the residency system. First and foremost, Caymanians have the right of residency in the UK and Europe. British and European citizens do not have the same rights. It is also interesting to note that a Cayman student attending university in the UK pays only the standard Tuition Fee. A British citizen student who is currently residing in Cayman who applies to a Brisith University will have to pay the increased, overseas allowance.

So, all is not equal. Sooner or later Cayman Islanders will have to give up their rights as far as the UK is concerned and the UK will, sooner rather than later, withdraw from the territorial status Cayman has. Why? Because Cayman is am oncost for the UK and the UK gets absolutely nothing in return.

So let's all move on. Those of us weho are here for a few years enjoy the undoubted benefits and let's try and make the RCIPS a better place. Those who are not in Cayman - if you are thinking of coming, do it for a couple of years or so. Life is too short for 'what if' moments. If you have been to Cayman and now left, then move on.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by inert-object
Dear RWS,

Inept-object
I am not RWS. Do you think that everyone who disagrees with you is Donna?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

I am not RWS. Do you think that everyone who disagrees with you is Donna?
Yes
Old Dec 17th 2006, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by inert-object
Yes
Foolishness.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Cayman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey folks, no one really cares.

Move on
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cayman
Hey folks, no one really cares.

Move on

Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:29 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

As this thread seems to have gone astray I am going to put it out of it's misery and close it.