Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Old Oct 1st 2006, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

inert-object is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Originally Posted by Pat Butcher
UK is less than that for a pint!!! and the $4 is very very cheap

That must be happy hour !
Well I was living in one of the most expensive parts of the most expensive region of the UK so I guess it's all relative! Probably if you were working in Darkest Cumbria or somewhere you'd notice more. Any way, why worry? How's the UK these days?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

702 is an unknown quantity at this point

A quick question for officers that have made the move to RCIP - what training are you given when you arrive, and more importantly for me, how long did it last?

As you may have guessed I REALLY hate being stuck in training...

Cheers
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

FunLad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 702
A quick question for officers that have made the move to RCIP - what training are you given when you arrive, and more importantly for me, how long did it last?

As you may have guessed I REALLY hate being stuck in training...

Cheers
Sgt Ashley Tiffen will soon put you in your place. :scared:
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:22 am
Just Joined

The sergeant will put me in my place? That's nice to know, but what does that mean?

How long will the retraining period last, and what kind of things does it cover?

Cheers
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:08 pm
Banned

Pat Butcher is an unknown quantity at this point

702, Training is sporadic to non existent when you arrive. You'll be too busy trying to find somewhere to live and trying to get uniform and equipment off of Lloyd to worry about training.

To all those recent new recruits how's it going? and was it what you expected?.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Sounds great Pat - I like a chaotic workplace, it'll make me fit right in.

All I need to make it perfect is an uncaring Inspector who cuts O/T except to favourite officers, sergeants who are a mix of a)doing their best against the tide, b)don't care, or c)have an agenda that isn't policing. Add a team that is a mixture of old sweats who don't care and sqaure up EVERYTHING, and brand new bouncy officers that get involved in EVERYTHING... I should feel right at home then.

How long does the retraining period last?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

BULLDOG is an unknown quantity at this point

this has to be the worst mistake of my life coming here - the people are very nice - but the rcip......
Old Nov 6th 2006, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Mr Corroboration is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BULLDOG
this has to be the worst mistake of my life coming here - the people are very nice - but the rcip......
Hi, I've been recently been considering the RCIP as I've more or less had enough of the Job in the UK, having worked in London, and afterwards up North.

Are there any new recruits that have transferred to RCIP that could provide an up to date report on current work practices, share their experiences, i.e. initial arrival and reception from teammates, ex-pats and locals alike. (Be honest)

Bulldog I see from your last post that you are unimpressed so far, what problems have you encountered?

Cheers

Mr C
Old Nov 9th 2006, 5:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr Corroboration
Hi, I've been recently been considering the RCIP as I've more or less had enough of the Job in the UK, having worked in London, and afterwards up North.

Are there any new recruits that have transferred to RCIP that could provide an up to date report on current work practices, share their experiences, i.e. initial arrival and reception from teammates, ex-pats and locals alike. (Be honest)

Bulldog I see from your last post that you are unimpressed so far, what problems have you encountered?

Cheers

Mr C

Mr C,

Check out the previous thread

That kinda sums it all up

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296385

DON'T DO IT

Luv Pat
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:09 am
Just Joined

gomarek is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police II

No axe to grind. I am not Caymanian, I am not an Expat and I am not a cop. But I do live in the Cayman Islands (by choice) and would like to make some third party observations about all of the posts in both this tread and the previous one that was closed.

I am a realist, have both eyes open and for the most part have my wits about me. My head is neither in the clouds or the sand and its not in any other dark place either.

I can say without any hesitation that many of the claims made on this board are wild exaggerations.

I am sure that there is political infight, petty stupid rules n' regs and yes this is an island (and a small one at that) so yes some thing are done with a small town attitude but I rather find that refreshing. I am sure that there are some minor issues and slight foundation for the comments made in many of these negative posts... but as somebody who has been here for two years I can tell you that I read these posts as if they were from some fictional novel.

Caymanians as a whole are polite. In fact as you would soon learn (as did I) walking past a Caymanian without saying hello is considered insulting...

Caymanians DO NOT TOLERATE CRIME... when something happens in Cayman you can expect to read about it in all the print media and hear about it on all the radio stations... there are a half a dozen of each.

The RCIP also doesn't tolerate crime...

Is Cayman costly, oh YEA... that is the one thing that is a given. Everything is imported.

One of my first observations about the RCIP was at the airport. I saw two officers arrive in a car... by-the-way, all the police cars here are newer and look to be in fantastic shape... anyway, these two officers got out of there car... snapped their shirts tight, put their hats on and walked into the airport.

What impressed me was that they were aware of their appearance.

I see police everywhere on this island. From the laid back Cayman Kai to Bodden town, east end, George Town... Seven Mile Beach, West Bay... and no matter where I see them they are always polite, well spoken, respectful and likewise people are polite with them.

I've been stopped a couple of times in roadblocks near Jack's after a full moon party... the officers were very polite.

I've seen a few accidents and detours where the police were in attendance and everything seemed fine. Parades, events, never seen any issues.

Let me point out a few other things. Anybody feel free to stop me if I am full of crap... getting a local drivers license here takes about half an hour and the process is completely painless.

Immigration has a 50" plasma screen TV... ever seen that in a government office. They have two lines. One for people who need to be there for complicated stuff and another for people who only need some extension/stamp or whatever. In the last two years I have been there about four times, each was no longer than ten minutes.

Now, can you think of anywhere you live that you can get your license in under and hour or be in and out of the immigration department in ten minutes because I can't.

Not in the UK, not in the US, not Canada, or New Zealand... or... or...

Caymanians as a whole are quite well educated.

There are a lot of banks/insurance companies, accountants, lawyers and tourists... so most of the people here are. Hospitality, lawyer/accountant, insurance/banking/trust/finance.

It's clean, sirens are rare... clean to a fault. People almost never blow the horn except for a small tap to say 'thanks for letting me in' which is something that happens a lot... people hold doors, say excuse me, thanks... sorry... hello... have a good day... good night, good morning...

Most places are closed on Sunday.

Now compare what I wrote above to what you read in the past posts.

I am not selling anything. If you want to come, come... if not... don't.

Life is what you make it... so far my life in Cayman has been absolutely fantastic. I am a homeowner, a business owner... and spend 15 hours a day out and about all over this island dealing with everybody... everywhere.

My glass is half full...

Kind regards and if anybody needs specific answers to specific questions I will be checking back from time to time and will do my best to provide any info I can.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by gomarek
No axe to grind. I am not Caymanian, I am not an Expat and I am not a cop. But I do live in the Cayman Islands (by choice) and would like to make some third party observations about all of the posts in both this tread and the previous one that was closed.

I am a realist, have both eyes open and for the most part have my wits about me. My head is neither in the clouds or the sand and its not in any other dark place either.

I can say without any hesitation that many of the claims made on this board are wild exaggerations.

I am sure that there is political infight, petty stupid rules n' regs and yes this is an island (and a small one at that) so yes some thing are done with a small town attitude but I rather find that refreshing. I am sure that there are some minor issues and slight foundation for the comments made in many of these negative posts... but as somebody who has been here for two years I can tell you that I read these posts as if they were from some fictional novel.

Caymanians as a whole are polite. In fact as you would soon learn (as did I) walking past a Caymanian without saying hello is considered insulting...

Caymanians DO NOT TOLERATE CRIME... when something happens in Cayman you can expect to read about it in all the print media and hear about it on all the radio stations... there are a half a dozen of each.

The RCIP also doesn't tolerate crime...

Is Cayman costly, oh YEA... that is the one thing that is a given. Everything is imported.

One of my first observations about the RCIP was at the airport. I saw two officers arrive in a car... by-the-way, all the police cars here are newer and look to be in fantastic shape... anyway, these two officers got out of there car... snapped their shirts tight, put their hats on and walked into the airport.

What impressed me was that they were aware of their appearance.

I see police everywhere on this island. From the laid back Cayman Kai to Bodden town, east end, George Town... Seven Mile Beach, West Bay... and no matter where I see them they are always polite, well spoken, respectful and likewise people are polite with them.

I've been stopped a couple of times in roadblocks near Jack's after a full moon party... the officers were very polite.

I've seen a few accidents and detours where the police were in attendance and everything seemed fine. Parades, events, never seen any issues.

Let me point out a few other things. Anybody feel free to stop me if I am full of crap... getting a local drivers license here takes about half an hour and the process is completely painless.

Immigration has a 50" plasma screen TV... ever seen that in a government office. They have two lines. One for people who need to be there for complicated stuff and another for people who only need some extension/stamp or whatever. In the last two years I have been there about four times, each was no longer than ten minutes.

Now, can you think of anywhere you live that you can get your license in under and hour or be in and out of the immigration department in ten minutes because I can't.

Not in the UK, not in the US, not Canada, or New Zealand... or... or...

Caymanians as a whole are quite well educated.

There are a lot of banks/insurance companies, accountants, lawyers and tourists... so most of the people here are. Hospitality, lawyer/accountant, insurance/banking/trust/finance.

It's clean, sirens are rare... clean to a fault. People almost never blow the horn except for a small tap to say 'thanks for letting me in' which is something that happens a lot... people hold doors, say excuse me, thanks... sorry... hello... have a good day... good night, good morning...

Most places are closed on Sunday.

Now compare what I wrote above to what you read in the past posts.

I am not selling anything. If you want to come, come... if not... don't.

Life is what you make it... so far my life in Cayman has been absolutely fantastic. I am a homeowner, a business owner... and spend 15 hours a day out and about all over this island dealing with everybody... everywhere.

My glass is half full...

Kind regards and if anybody needs specific answers to specific questions I will be checking back from time to time and will do my best to provide any info I can.

So not a Caymanian nor an expat? What else is there?

I appreciate your comments about that Cayman way of life but your view of the RCIP is that of a Customer and not that of a worker who is part of it and trying to maintain a professional standard. You have not experienced it nor do you have the policing experience to compare. There is more to policing than making sure you are smart in your uniform and being friendly at a road block...............

While being a business 'person' and dealing with 'everyone everywhere' have you dealt with prisoners in the lock up for 4 days on a trumped bit of evidence that would never see the inside of the Court? Have you worked for illiterate bosses who make decisions that are laughable yet you have to bite your tongue and make sure your shoes are shiny to keep em happy?

You do not know that the claims made are exaggerations as you have not been part of the organisation that is the RCIP. Believe me what has been said is true.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

gomarek is an unknown quantity at this point

The underbelly of anything always has a dark side. Don't go into the kitchen of your favorite food establishment...

I wrote and felt the need to do so because many of the comments on this board are wild and unfounded statements and you don't need to be a local cop to know that.

I can see the state of the police cars and motorbilkes.

I can see that the police are generally proud of thier jobs/appearance and that the community at large has respect for them.

Reading some of these posts you'd get the impression that the police cars are old wrecks, the the locals are all gunning for the police and that the island is in complete disarray.

I find the police to be polite and professional. Their appearance (and vehicles) to be very well maintained.

To be sure, some things here are ass-backward... yes... true.. it's small island. But they are no more so ass-backward than any other small town of 35,000 people.

When I first came here two years ago I was surprised at the number of high end cars, the number of high end homes... how clean the streets are. How safe it is... because I had read posts like many posted on this site.

We had relatives who were like "oh my God... will you be safe"... because they had read posts like many on this site... and then they came here and said... 'what's all the fuss about... this place is amazing.

Is it expensive? YES
Is there local favoritizm? YES
Are some things ass-backward? YES...

But I would prefer to see some posts about the nicer side of Cayman included with all these posts.

This board just seems too one sided...

Will you not admit that most Caymanians are polite. Say hello, are respectful of your position. That the streets are clean and more so than most places quiet safe.

That aside from the high cost of living that living here is actually quiet nice.

My glass remains half full.

Marek
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gomarek
The underbelly of anything always has a dark side. Don't go into the kitchen of your favorite food establishment...

That made me laugh!

Reading through the posts on all topics, many of the complaints seem to be of a similar nature. I am wondering whether perhaps someone used to countryside living would fit in easier.

As a country bumpkin now working in the big city, I listen to the complaints and think "that's just like back home." I appreciate that I have not made the move yet - but to me it sounds like simply small town politics/gossip/failings that exist in every small, secluded place in the world.

Comments?

[Puts on tin hat and waits for explosions...]
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:10 am
Just Joined

jackhorner21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Ok, I was told to re-log onto the site after a mate said it had been updated (we had a laugh trying to figure out who Bulldog was - muppet!!!)

Anyway - as you can probably see and for those out here that now know me I don't hide behind a made up name and bitch about everything - I've got the balls to put my name to something I have to say!!!!

As for being out here - yeah I've been here 6 ish weeks but its the best move I have ever made, I feel settled, as for getting here and settling in I can only say the following:

There has been a Sergeant mentioned on this as the person to sort you out - damn straight, he is the man to know and will help you out without question. There is also a couple of guys in Community Policing, one from Canada and one from the Met who will equally bend over backwards to help you out.

Yes there are issues here, this place is like 70's policing, sweeney style but it is changing and it is changing for the better - but it will take time.

I've not been here long but many of the threads and replies are seriously exaggerated - yes it is pricey to live here, there are no natural resources so its shipped from the states but hey its tax free over here!!!

However, what I would say on that score is that if you want to cover yourself finacially to set up you need to bring £4000 sterling or near as with you, that will get you a place and a car. Even if you can't get that together the are ways round it, my settlement cheque covered my rent for the 1st month, I then found affordable cars - I have got a mint Golf for $1000 CI down and $500 a month interest free til its mine - there are ways round everything.

As for the job, its easy - you just have to bite your tongue say yes sir and no sir then do the job standing on your head with your hands tied behind your back and enjoy the island, after all you will never be more than a day away from a rest day.

And just to get in early doors, before some of you start saying I have not been here long enough to know what I'm talking about, come and see me so we can discuss whats happened to you and prove me wrong cos at the minute working for the RCIPS is a damn site better than working for any force in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear in mind nothing will ever be perfect but after working days and finishing at 7 I can go to the beach or go night diving and on my days off I can tour the island or chuck some leave in to goto Cuba or Puerto Rico or Miami - all for a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to get there from the UK.

All I can say is that if you want to come here or are thinking of coming here, reading half the rubbish on this site is not the way to go - mail me or or as I have mentioned a Sergeant has been named so give him and mail at: [email protected] - look forward to hearing from you prospective colleagues soon and as for the rest of you negative bods - if you don't like it go back to the UK and stop giving the rest of us and the Caymans a bad rap - like I said I have the balls to use my name on here - have you???????

Last edited by jackhorner21; Nov 17th 2006 at 3:14 am.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:22 am
Just Joined

cymru craig is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont listen to Jack. He falls asleep in mid conversation with peanuts on his head!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.