Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:56 pm
Banned

Pat Butcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Originally Posted by cymru craig
Hi again,

The RCIPS is not the UK police service but they are a professional organisation in their own right who know how to police their own island.

Good luck to all in the interviews.

The RCIPS are in NO WAY professonal, you are kidding yourself if you think they are. For years Expat Officers have been trying to drag them into the 20th Century but have failed......... If you are not from Cayman you are beating you head against a brick wall. Your advice will be taken as an insult.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

limegreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

I really think you must be getting some dodgy info regarding the pension thing.
I checked again last week with another pensions officer from my force and they stated that if I took a career break then if I were to come back I would be allowed onto the old/current pension scheme. And as a few have said already I am sure that all forces must be the same. I wouldn't be wanting to go if I couldn't be guaranteed to return on current pension.

On many web sites and discussion forums there is negativity regarding being an expat working in the RCIPS, and on occasions alarming because they are from past officers. However it is a case of suck it and see. You never know the real reason why peole are being negative about something unless you know all the info. The RCIPS is not the UK police service but they are a professional organisation in their own right who know how to police their own island.

Good luck to all in the interviews.

Hi Craig ,
Putting pensions aside, just check that there's a guarantee that your force will take you back unconditionally should you return. It may not be as simple as you think!
Limegreen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

cymru craig is an unknown quantity at this point

Job is guaranteed at the end of a career break.
Only thing that is not guaranteed to remain the same is posting and collar number!! I can handle them two changing
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police II

Originally Posted by Pat Butcher
The RCIPS are in NO WAY professonal, you are kidding yourself if you think they are. For years Expat Officers have been trying to drag them into the 20th Century but have failed......... If you are not from Cayman you are beating you head against a brick wall. Your advice will be taken as an insult.

Dear Pat,
Can you answer my previous questions, what's the sitrep. Examples on a postcard. Where do we go to confirm?
Regards,
Limegreen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

"Expats trying to drag them into the 20th century" ???

Maybe thats the problem. Its not the UK and they know their islands best.

Its an expats responsibility to learn from the locals and respect what they have.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by limegreen
Dear Pat,
Can you answer my previous questions, what's the sitrep. Examples on a postcard. Where do we go to confirm?
Regards,
Limegreen
HUH?

You will be treated as a second class citizen, expect to have some local with 2 years service and an IQ of 12 telling you what to do. You will be posted in the cells which are a hideous lock up with people stuck there for days on end or guarding the Govenor (sitting in a shack for 12 hours). If you are lucky you will get off of shift work (george town) quickly. Don't expect your skills experience to be taken into account - they won't be. You'll also most likely be stuck on the 5 year rate of pay - that doesn't go up - whether you have 3 or 17 years service in the UK.

The days off are great. Getting off the island is expensive. Flights to Miami are at least 300 - and you do need to get off the Island regularly as it gets very small very quickly.

It's fun but not a career move nor is it a 2 year holiday..........
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:26 pm
Banned

"Expats trying to drag them into the 20th century" ???

Maybe thats the problem. Its not the UK and they know their islands best.

Its an expats responsibility to learn from the locals and respect what they have.
The problem is that they are way way behind the 20th Century, if you let 'them police their Island as they know best......' you'll be living in Jamaica before you know it. Corruption and Apathy are rife.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Job is guaranteed at the end of a career break.
Only thing that is not guaranteed to remain the same is posting and collar number!! I can handle them two changing
Cymru Craig,
Where else have you been looking. Is is as bad as this sit. If so why you still going for it???
Limegreen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pat Butcher
HUH?

It's fun but not a career move nor is it a 2 year holiday..........
So..........................................are you still there?? If so, why then???????????????
limegreen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 10:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by limegreen
So..........................................are you still there?? If so, why then???????????????
limegreen
I honestly think that people go there (me included) because they are FED Up with the UK and think that life will be better because of the climate and the beach. Reality is that the climate is great and the beach beautiful but the work is CRAP really CRAP and you soon appreciate the UK. People go there thinking they will stay forever - but you can't there is a 7 year limit to contracts/work permits and after that you have to apply for residency - Old Plod won't be high on the list suitable candidates for that.

I'm not there now, left a short while ago and I'm glad I did.

Last edited by Pat Butcher; Jun 11th 2006 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 2:19 am
Just Joined

positive p is an unknown quantity at this point

Look guys and girls there are plenty of ex pat people here in Cayman who work for the Police and will give you a good account of both the negatives and postives of what "Island Life" is like

If anyone would like some more info then send me a private message
It is not a case of being censored in any way it has just become boring seeing the same entries slagging off the place with facts and figures which are out of date

Many thanks Richard
Ps Last entry i want to make to this thread
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Chastity is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I've done the Interview, not anything like I would have expected, not exactly taxing. I get the feeling that you'll get the job just from turning up!!!

I'm a bit disappointed about the rate of pay - 5 year rate regardless of service yet their advertisement clearly stated that pay was according to experience.

I'm more confused than ever now.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:26 pm
Banned

fabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nice

Had my interview - went well I think.

The guy told me not to expect too much from the locals and some of the
ex-pats who have become 'caymanised'. Hence the 'new blood'.

He said it's not the same "get-go" attitude and I'll probably find it fairly quiet, and unorganized.

Considering I've done pro-active crime squad, public order serial patrols, and spent some time on a dedicated murder squad. He could be right.

I told him I've got a big decision as I let on that I'm awaiting on an application for the regional drug squad....

Then he asked why I'd want to miss out on that :scared: So I told him experience, etc etc....
I also mentioned that perhaps it'd be an easier decision if I could be posted directly into the Drug Task Unit/Force. He told me he'd look into the possibility!

Perhaps I should've been honest and told him I want to lay on the beach all day and get sozzled in the bars of a night.

There were a few tricky questions though... He ask how I'd feel about taking instructions from someone with a far lower intellect then me?
So I made a joke and told him I didn't understand the question..
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Hope you've all done well, decisions then as of next Friday!!!!!!!!!!!! Is cymru craig still out there??
Regards,
Limegreen

Last edited by limegreen; Jun 13th 2006 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Yes he is still here.
Just got back from interview in the big smoke.
Its a long way on a welsh pony!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.