Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police

Royal Cayman Islands Police

Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Derek H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police

Originally Posted by Peter B.
Come on Derek. You had ten good years and served under three previous UK Commissioners and one Caymanian. Have you got on the wrong side of the new guy? Has age got something to do with it ?

Regards,

Peter B.
Pete, I've had numerous meetings with the powers that be over the years. The trend is now towards 'ditch the expat' which is what the Government want and which is why the new boss is implementing that 'model'. You disagree and it's off to a new job before you can say 'what about my pension'. Has nothing to do with age by the way.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Derek H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fabledbananna

Above all, I just want to know the deal. I'm single, like a drink, and the odd loose lady. But who doesn't???
Perfect
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

positive p is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the previous warnings Derek in your previous posts and PM's.

However, I still would like to get a balanced view of things.

Is there any officer currently serving that could give me their views on the lifestyle, working practises etc of life in the Caymans, and RCIP?

And I'm especially hoping that the officers that went last year would be able to assist me I was turned down in that last recruitment drive as I had not quite got the relevant 5 year experience.

I'm not sure if that was a blessing in disguise or not. Can you tell me if moving there was a positive step? Is it everything you hoped for? Would you recommend it?

I've heard horror stories of people not getting their contracts renewed without warning. I would hate this to happen to me :scared:

I've heard about some levels of corruption, while I've never had a problem nicking a few hours in overtime, or pocketing an ounce of cannabis, I do draw the line with the serious stuff.

If I do go, I would buy a house, I have £20K saved up in equity. Is this enough? Though I'd hate to buy somewhere then be told, "sorry, man! you're sacked!"

I've heard they like to change officers every two years, but I want to stay for as long as possible, possible 10 years and make inspector.

Above all, I just want to know the deal. I'm single, like a drink, and the odd loose lady. But who doesn't???

I feel this island would be perfect for me. Can someone confirm?
bananna

i am a serving rcip copper from the mother country

i would be happy to give you a balanced overview of the cayman islands but not here on this site as it has become a bitchin/moaning site for expat officers who were treated badly

send me an email address and i will reply to you there

Pos P
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Margot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by positive p
bananna

i would be happy to give you a balanced overview of the cayman islands but not here on this site as it has become a bitchin/moaning site for expat officers who were treated badly

Pos P
Bananna, don't believe him.......... Positive P is BAZ who is abandoning the Island for a new life in OZ check it out!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:11 pm
Banned

fabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nice

bananna

Pos P
Positive - I sent u one of those PM thingys.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Chastity is an unknown quantity at this point

a bitchin/moaning site for expat officers who were treated badly
Quite a few that have been treated badly then?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Happy Daze is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police

I don't think its quite as bad as you make out. I know that crime is out of control and that from being one of the safest its now one of the most dangerous and drug infested islands in the Caribbean but the new Commissioner seems to have got a grip recruiting 24 new officers from the region - its just to be hoped that they can all read and write this time and have not been appointed solely through the usual nepotism. He certainly got one priority right - I read somewhere he's got a six year contract! As we say in Cayman - 'It's all relative.'
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Andy45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thinking of applying for the latest application process, but a bit put off by all the negative feedback!!! If anyone can give me some ballanced gen on the 2 year attachments and things like pensions etc it would be apprieciated.
Ta
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andy45
Thinking of applying for the latest application process, but a bit put off by all the negative feedback!!! If anyone can give me some ballanced gen on the 2 year attachments and things like pensions etc it would be apprieciated.
Ta
Andy, I have been in contact with a currently serving Officer. It seems that if you can put up with a lot of crap and then get a cushy job off of George Town shift it's an OK job. According to my source! you need to get to the Community Policing Unit, that's apparently turn up at work when you feel like it, no radio and direct a few tourists across the road every so often. Or get a job on Little Cayman or Cayman Brac - cushy number with $500 extra for housing, yet housing is cheaper out there??? Cost of living though is sky high compared to UK, but then there is no income tax so is swings and roundabouts. I'm still undecided as I want promotion and I think that after a couple of years out there I will be de-skilled however the beach does look nice. Don't know what to do............ HELP
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Ta

I've just been looking at the renting prices on Century 21 and other real estate agents. I'm thinking that on a max salary of $3500, $2500 is going to be taken up on renting an average apartment. Am I right or wrong on this?. :scared:
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:26 am
Banned

fabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chastity
I've just been looking at the renting prices on Century 21 and other real estate agents. I'm thinking that on a max salary of $3500, $2500 is going to be taken up on renting an average apartment. Am I right or wrong on this?. :scared:
Wow. That sounds like quiet a lot to me Chastity.

I Pm'd positive P about this but he hasn't replied... maybe he's been evicted!

I emailed the recruitment lady to find out about rent. She said we can get a 1 bed place for about $1000 in a place called 'Dog Town' I think.
It sounds a bit ropey to me, but you can never judge a book by it's cover.

If it's too much then you could always ask to got on the smaller islands and get paid more AND pay less in rent. And probably do LESS work, which is more
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Andy45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for you replies. My mate went over with TSG a few years ago for Mutual when there was some prison riot and is now selling it to me. Thought id give it a look but looked at some of the earlier threads and thought twice!!!
Among my concerns are pensions, how does it work with your home force? Do you have to resign and then re-apply after 2 years? The fact that i can retire at 55 is sometimes all that keeps me going and the thought of coming onto a new contract after 2 years and having to retire at 60-65 like the new probationers really does not appeal to me!!!!!
I know the grass aint always greener, but its a great oppurtunity!! if you could put me in (e-mail) touch with a serving RCIP attachee for a quick brainstorm it'd be appreiciated.
Cheers
Old Apr 21st 2006, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Margot is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for you replies. My mate went over with TSG a few years ago for Mutual when there was some prison riot and is now selling it to me. Thought id give it a look but looked at some of the earlier threads and thought twice!!!
Among my concerns are pensions, how does it work with your home force? Do you have to resign and then re-apply after 2 years? The fact that i can retire at 55 is sometimes all that keeps me going and the thought of coming onto a new contract after 2 years and having to retire at 60-65 like the new probationers really does not appeal to me!!!!!
I know the grass aint always greener, but its a great oppurtunity!! if you could put me in (e-mail) touch with a serving RCIP attachee for a quick brainstorm it'd be appreiciated.
Cheers

Most people who go out there take a career break but some forces don't allow that and you have to resign (Met does I think) and then reapply. If you are going on a career break check to see if you will be put onto the new pension scheme on your return, I think you will. The new pension is 9% but you have to work longer. The Cayman pension is OK but be warned The RCIP sometimes forgets to pay it as happened to a mate of mine..............

Last edited by Margot; Apr 21st 2006 at 10:29 am.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

I emailed the recruitment lady to find out about rent. She said we can get a 1 bed place for about $1000 in a place called 'Dog Town' I think.

If it's too much then you could always ask to got on the smaller islands and get paid more AND pay less in rent. And probably do LESS work, which is more
That makes me feel better about the accomodation situation is Dog Town near the beach?.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Bananna,

I just heard from a contact in the Caymans that Dog Town is Dog City and that is not a place where and Officer would want to be let alone be safe living there. But they did say that for $1800 might be able to get a very average 1 bed place but without a pool. That's definitely better than $2500. I did also hear that the smaller islands are a very boring place to live if you are single..... but the extra money is tempting.

I PM'd Positive P but no reply either...... If there are other serving Officers out there and reading this please contact us with email address. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.