Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police

Royal Cayman Islands Police

Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Margot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police

Originally Posted by Baz
Hi Margot,

I am not "Posotive P," don't know who he / she is.

Cheers
Go on sign off as Baz and come back on as Positive P
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:44 am

Baz2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Margo,

I was actually being serious, don't know who she / he is.

I chose to stop contributing to this thread a while back, as it is becoming rather too "public," i'm sure you know where i am comming from. Further, i would never be rude in a thread, and certainly not to you.

Cheers
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Baz
Margo,

I was actually being serious, don't know who she / he is.

I chose to stop contributing to this thread a while back, as it is becoming rather too "public," i'm sure you know where i am comming from. Further, i would never be rude in a thread, and certainly not to you.

Cheers
Oh Please you do too know who he is!!!! I would never be rude on a public forum either and I can understand that it is a tad 'public' now. You can always private message me.

Anyway looking forward to Positive P's response to my last post.

Nites!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 3:57 am
Just Joined

positive p is an unknown quantity at this point

margot i dont know what you went through re racism sexism etc etc but you posted the wording so expect a reply of some sorts...if you suffered these abuses i can only empathise and say not everyone is the same
yes im a a hard working professioanl officer i just prefer to give a balanced account of what the cayman islands has to offer.....i agree there are always negatives in any situation but you failed to address both extremes in your statements previously
i only ask for a sensible reply ....not a degredation of an officers abililty because they do not work in brixton....as it was said in another thread from police officers same old sh@t different country.....come on im trying to help people make a serious decision on moving thousands of miles from where they have lived for a lot of their lives...to some this is not an easy decision which they can reverse
sorry Baz i hope you are not getting too much stick....you are your own person god bless you
Old Oct 7th 2005, 4:23 am
Just Joined

positive p is an unknown quantity at this point

Margot

p.s I apologise if i offended you in anyway i didnt mean to be rude i am just annoyed that people post only negative stuff....and im blunt and to the point...it will be my downfall
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Positive P / Baz (you even write the same way)

I thought my reply was sensible......... I too was only trying to help people who might make the decision to move. Must be better to know what you're letting yourself in for before you go isn't it??? In fact I've put several new recruits in contact with Officers so they can get information from them and not just take my word for it.

On a positive note I think the beach there is nice but you might find Australia has better!.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I just had to post this one..........

http://www.caymannetnews.com/2005/10/943/cops.shtml
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Black Rat is an unknown quantity at this point

Evening All !

I was chatting to a mate in the RCIP the other day who directed my attention to this website.....and to this thread.

It has been most interesting reading what people have said about the place and the work of the RCIP.

The Cayman Islands are a wonderful place....but working there as a Cop is very different from the UK. Its not for everyone and some people (like myself) will find it difficult to make the switch from busy busy busy to the island way of policing.

I decided that it wasnt for me....but thats not to say that I couldnt have made it work given a bit more time and effort. However circumstances were such that I needed to return to the UK.

A year on and I still keep in contact with the people I met in Cayman and have returned there on holiday. Its still a great place and I cant help wonder if I get another chance to join the RCIP would U do it again ????

IF anyone is reading this and unsure if they should join the RCIP due to some of the posts on here I'd say....visit the place and talk to as many expats and local officers as possible. YES I know its a 12 hour flight and a few £100 quid to get out there BUT if your planning on staying out there for 2 years and maybe even jacking in the UK Police (as some forces make you) in order to serve, then its money well spent.

There are some really helpful Expat Cops out there that will go out of there way to show you round the island and give you the INFO that you'll need to make an informed choice about working in the RCIP.

If your still not sure....JUST GO FOR IT ANYWAY....dont sit there in the nursing home wondering 'WHAT IF' ! ! !

YES it will be very different from what your used to. But its their Island and they do things how they do things. If any RCIP officers decided to come and work with me on the M25 they'd have to do things my way !

Good Luck whatever you all decide !
Old Oct 29th 2005, 8:35 am
Just Joined

speedy37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
After reading all this i would like to have my imput of the subject, being an English man with connections to the islands.

I joined the RCIP back in 1982 and was earning only $800:00 a month. As the years went on and prices started to increase so did the pay.

Like some of the people before have said "it might not be your cup of tea" but I can say that the 18 years service I that i put into the job (RCIP) was worth while, I was back there only 10 days ago for a very short visit (4 days)visiting family and friends.

I got to admit that things look as if they have changed and there are fewer police on the ground than when i was a serving officer.

But if you want a good job with just rewards then there is no other job than the police force, no matter which country you pick to serve in.

When i returned to the UK and applied to join some of the forces i was told that i would have to have been back in the country for 3 years, but we all know that no matter how long you have been "out of it" you always want to get back in.

Black Rat if given the opportunity to work with you on the M25 then i would do it your way.

Originally Posted by Black Rat
Evening All !

I was chatting to a mate in the RCIP the other day who directed my attention to this website.....and to this thread.

It has been most interesting reading what people have said about the place and the work of the RCIP.

The Cayman Islands are a wonderful place....but working there as a Cop is very different from the UK. Its not for everyone and some people (like myself) will find it difficult to make the switch from busy busy busy to the island way of policing.

I decided that it wasnt for me....but thats not to say that I couldnt have made it work given a bit more time and effort. However circumstances were such that I needed to return to the UK.

A year on and I still keep in contact with the people I met in Cayman and have returned there on holiday. Its still a great place and I cant help wonder if I get another chance to join the RCIP would U do it again ????

IF anyone is reading this and unsure if they should join the RCIP due to some of the posts on here I'd say....visit the place and talk to as many expats and local officers as possible. YES I know its a 12 hour flight and a few £100 quid to get out there BUT if your planning on staying out there for 2 years and maybe even jacking in the UK Police (as some forces make you) in order to serve, then its money well spent.

There are some really helpful Expat Cops out there that will go out of there way to show you round the island and give you the INFO that you'll need to make an informed choice about working in the RCIP.

If your still not sure....JUST GO FOR IT ANYWAY....dont sit there in the nursing home wondering 'WHAT IF' ! ! !

YES it will be very different from what your used to. But its their Island and they do things how they do things. If any RCIP officers decided to come and work with me on the M25 they'd have to do things my way !

Good Luck whatever you all decide !
Old Apr 14th 2006, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Derek H is an unknown quantity at this point

I notice that the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service are advertising for Officers in Police review again. Having just been FIRED from that very post I would urge everyone to consider the move very carefully. Previous posts on this forum have been absolutely right. It's not all a rosy holiday and employees local and expat are leaving in droves. Even the new Commissioner from the UK hasn't helped matters. Research it very carefully.

Last edited by Derek H; Apr 14th 2006 at 10:20 am. Reason: Link didn't work
Old Apr 14th 2006, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Chastity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Derek H
I notice that the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service are advertising for Officers in Police review again. Having just been FIRED from that very post I would urge everyone to consider the move very carefully. Previous posts on this forum have been absolutely right. It's not all a rosy holiday and employees local and expat are leaving in droves. Even the new Commissioner from the UK hasn't helped matters. Research it very carefully.

Blimey Derek, I have been trying to get into the RCIP for nearly a year now. I keep getting put off because my emails/letters not replied to. The ad in police review mentions pay according to experience. I've heard from people that have been recruited recently that they stick you on the 5 year rate of pay regardless of service and experience. From reading the posts here what sounds like a fabulous life on the beach is in reality a career backstep, HUGE backstep. I would be interested to hear what you think about this.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police

Originally Posted by Chastity
Blimey Derek, I have been trying to get into the RCIP for nearly a year now. I keep getting put off because my emails/letters not replied to. The ad in police review mentions pay according to experience. I've heard from people that have been recruited recently that they stick you on the 5 year rate of pay regardless of service and experience. From reading the posts here what sounds like a fabulous life on the beach is in reality a career backstep, HUGE backstep. I would be interested to hear what you think about this.

Chastity (you're not going to get anywhere with that name in Cayman) I was employed in a senior posistion for many years. I've noticed that slowly but surely they (RCIP the powers that be) want the UK Officers out. They want a Caymanian Police Force. I put my two pence worth in and lost my job. Be aware that all contracts are for 2 years and they (bosses) use this as a way to dipose of the dissenters. Your skills and experience will be passed on to the locals. Always remember that you are a commodity to be used, burn't out BUT for only as long as they cannot get Caymanians to fill the Police Jobs. Your job in Cayman is NEVER certain.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Peter B. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Derek H
Chastity (you're not going to get anywhere with that name in Cayman) I was employed in a senior posistion for many years. I've noticed that slowly but surely they (RCIP the powers that be) want the UK Officers out. They want a Caymanian Police Force. I put my two pence worth in and lost my job. Be aware that all contracts are for 2 years and they (bosses) use this as a way to dipose of the dissenters. Your skills and experience will be passed on to the locals. Always remember that you are a commodity to be used, burn't out BUT for only as long as they cannot get Caymanians to fill the Police Jobs. Your job in Cayman is NEVER certain.
Come on Derek. You had ten good years and served under three previous UK Commissioners and one Caymanian. Have you got on the wrong side of the new guy? Has age got something to do with it ?

Regards,

Peter B.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by speedy37

But if you want a good job with just rewards then there is no other job than the police force, no matter which country you pick to serve in.
PAH
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:41 pm
Banned

fabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nice

Thanks for the previous warnings Derek in your previous posts and PM's.

However, I still would like to get a balanced view of things.

Is there any officer currently serving that could give me their views on the lifestyle, working practises etc of life in the Caymans, and RCIP?

And I'm especially hoping that the officers that went last year would be able to assist me I was turned down in that last recruitment drive as I had not quite got the relevant 5 year experience.

I'm not sure if that was a blessing in disguise or not. Can you tell me if moving there was a positive step? Is it everything you hoped for? Would you recommend it?

I've heard horror stories of people not getting their contracts renewed without warning. I would hate this to happen to me :scared:

I've heard about some levels of corruption, while I've never had a problem nicking a few hours in overtime, or pocketing an ounce of cannabis, I do draw the line with the serious stuff.

If I do go, I would buy a house, I have £20K saved up in equity. Is this enough? Though I'd hate to buy somewhere then be told, "sorry, man! you're sacked!"

I've heard they like to change officers every two years, but I want to stay for as long as possible, possible 10 years and make inspector.

Above all, I just want to know the deal. I'm single, like a drink, and the odd loose lady. But who doesn't???

I feel this island would be perfect for me. Can someone confirm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.