Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia?-Part 2

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia?-Part 2

Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

D and L will become famous soon enoughD and L will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Annie,
Honestly honestly.....I thought it was a breeze. There was nothing far from obvious although the entrance exam did get the mind working a bit. The physical was easy so long as you're averagely fit, and the interview more like a chat with an old friend.

Tell you're hubby that if he can....give it a go. What does he, (do you), have to lose ?
Good luck.
Dan
Old Feb 13th 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by D and L
Annie,
Honestly honestly.....I thought it was a breeze. There was nothing far from obvious although the entrance exam did get the mind working a bit. The physical was easy so long as you're averagely fit, and the interview more like a chat with an old friend.

Tell you're hubby that if he can....give it a go. What does he, (do you), have to lose ?
Good luck.
Dan
Ahhh thank you SO much!!! I've been having sleepless nights over it! He said the entrance tests when he first got into Suffolk were a breeze (again got the brain cells ticking), but he managed to 97% on it. Qld police however sent him loads of stuff saying the psycho metric tests were harsh and the competition 'fierce'! He read it, and said "oh well I'll never get in?" Talk about being negative???? However, the kids and I are homesick, yes we love Britain and appreciate all the good things it has to offer, but when somewhere 'feels' like home, then its home! The children always refer to oz as home and the UK as 'England'. Like I said the only thing Mark will lose is his family, cos I'll be on the plane and he'll still be here policing the country lanes!
Old Feb 13th 2005, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

yingyang1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Is it worth a new thread or two, one for the experiences and advice from the march 60 to help us in the uk, or one for the pool members to exchange ongoing info about the process?
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

THE MANKS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everybody!

I have only just been made aware of this forum, and like many of you, have experienced the rollercoaster SAPOL recruitment exercise!

Both my wife and I have applied, and after the various tests, have been told that we are in the 'competitive pool' of remaining candidates. Can't express how gutted we were not to be in the 'pathfinder 60'!

Unfortunately, we weren't able to attend the Information Day on Saturday, and haven't been able to get much info on all of this and so wondered if any of you could possible answer a few questions or establish a few facts for us? (It is a long list!)

1. Does anybody else's email to Scott Oster go unanswered?

2. The 60 chosen were chosen on 'merit'. Does anybody know what the criteria or 'merit' was?

3. How many people are in the 'competitive pool'?

4. We're led to believe applicants in this pool will be 'ranked'. Does anybody know what their 'rank' is or what the criteria is for this 'ranking'system?

5. Does anybody know of anyone who failed the physical or interview, or was everyone successful?

6. Has anybody in the pool been advised to obtain medicals for their visa applications, or been told to submit visas?

7. Eligibility has been extended to 9 months. Is this from your date of application or any other date?

8. If there are future courses, will any notice be given?

9. Why were people advised further courses would go ahead, only for this info to be withdrawn?

10. Have people been advised to make plans for emigrating?

11. Was there any indication given on the info day as to when people would hear about next dates, if any?

12. Why do people feel more positive after the information day? What changed their minds?

13. Are we to contact SAPOL or Scott Oster with any further questions we have?

14. Anybody still as confused as we are?!!!

Hope somebody can help!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Ink8455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by THE MANKS
Hello everybody!

I have only just been made aware of this forum, and like many of you, have experienced the rollercoaster SAPOL recruitment exercise!

Both my wife and I have applied, and after the various tests, have been told that we are in the 'competitive pool' of remaining candidates. Can't express how gutted we were not to be in the 'pathfinder 60'!

Unfortunately, we weren't able to attend the Information Day on Saturday, and haven't been able to get much info on all of this and so wondered if any of you could possible answer a few questions or establish a few facts for us? (It is a long list!)

1. Does anybody else's email to Scott Oster go unanswered? Oh Yes

2. The 60 chosen were chosen on 'merit'. Does anybody know what the criteria or 'merit' was? I have no idea, exam marks, degrees, rank and being able to attend on the first few days. After that the politicians put thier nose in and forced SAPOL to move the goalposts.

3. How many people are in the 'competitive pool'? 150. with no more added to our group. However UK officers can still apply at this late date, but must go to SA to sit, exam, physical etc. Your apllication is good for six months, perhaps a bit longer but will NOT go into 2006.

4. We're led to believe applicants in this pool will be 'ranked'. Does anybody know what their 'rank' is or what the criteria is for this 'ranking'system? I believe it is based on exam results, followed by interview with a bit of ???? thrown in for good measure.

5. Does anybody know of anyone who failed the physical or interview, or was everyone successful? Approximately 270 failed the process, if figures mooted are correct.

6. Has anybody in the pool been advised to obtain medicals for their visa applications, or been told to submit visas? We were advised that these last for 12 months and your application six months. Your call as it is VERY expensive.

7. Eligibility has been extended to 9 months. Is this from your date of application or any other date? If they haven't had any further intakes by October then thats it.

8. If there are future courses, will any notice be given? Hopefully a bit more than March were told. It's in the hands of the Gods.

9. Why were people advised further courses would go ahead, only for this info to be withdrawn? The Politicians having a go about POMS taking Aussies jobs. Shadow Govermant and Unions poking their noses in. Understandable but gawling still the same.

10. Have people been advised to make plans for emigrating? Advised not to as no dates planned at this time.

11. Was there any indication given on the info day as to when people would hear about next dates, if any? We might hear something by the end of February but again we might not.

12. Why do people feel more positive after the information day? What changed their minds? There is little else to cling to. Some of us declined March for logistical reasons and or had submitted our medicals and are well and truly out of pocket.

13. Are we to contact SAPOL or Scott Oster with any further questions we have? You can try, but I've never had a reply to an e mail or answerphone message yet. Nice bloke but very busy and under a lot of pressure.

14. Anybody still as confused as we are?!!! Only ever so much. Wishing my life and another year away to find out one way or another. Can't do anything until October unless we hear beforehand.

Hope somebody can help!!!!!!!!!
We all need help
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Rippo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome to THE MANKS

I expect if we all answered your questions you would get 100 different answers! However I thought I would give you my answers (for what they are worth!)

1. Does anybody else's email to Scott Oster go unanswered?
Sometimes - well actually most of the time ... However in his defense he has been really busy and was off sick last week

2. The 60 chosen were chosen on 'merit'. Does anybody know what the criteria or 'merit' was?
We were advised by Linda that that is "priviledged information"

3. How many people are in the 'competitive pool'?
150 in a closed and finite pool

4. We're led to believe applicants in this pool will be 'ranked'. Does anybody know what their 'rank' is or what the criteria is for this 'ranking'system?
Again this was asked and again this is "priviledged information"

5. Does anybody know of anyone who failed the physical or interview, or was everyone successful?
I know of people who have failed at every stage

6. Has anybody in the pool been advised to obtain medicals for their visa applications, or been told to submit visas?
Everyone in the pool now have been advised not to undertake their medicals (too late for us) and definately not to submit Visa application - it can't be accepted anyway until you have a firm job offer from SAPOL, and they have submitted the relevant form to the Visa people

7. Eligibility has been extended to 9 months. Is this from your date of application or any other date?
I don't think they were being that specific - basically if you haven't got in by the end of this year then that's it. The pool will disappear.

8. If there are future courses, will any notice be given?
Who knows - we would all like to know the answer to that! It is in that hands of the Commissioner Mal Hyde

9. Why were people advised further courses would go ahead, only for this info to be withdrawn?
Many deferent theories on this one! Your best bet is to read the majority of the replies on this thread and you will get about 10 different theories!!

10. Have people been advised to make plans for emigrating?
Not people in the POOL

11. Was there any indication given on the info day as to when people would hear about next dates, if any?
Hopefully hear by the end of February

12. Why do people feel more positive after the information day? What changed their minds?
Lots of reasons - but probably the free wine and beer helped that positive feeling!! and also meeting all the lovely people who post on here!

13. Are we to contact SAPOL or Scott Oster with any further questions we have? Not sure, but best guess who depend on type of question...Police related to SAPOL, Visa related to Scott, though I would probably send it to both!

14. Anybody still as confused as we are?!!!
A little less now!

I hope this has helped a bit, I am sure others will give you many other answers, We will just all have to wait and see what happens!

Ann
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:45 pm
Claguey

claguey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone.
I am sorry I never met up with any of the regulars here on the forum, at one point I was going to grab the mike from Scott and ask for a show of hands ! haha.

Those of you wondering about the info pack, don't panic, you will be getting one, and other than info on the training timetable, most of the stuff is just tourist info about Adelaide.

The flights offer from Qantas is priced at £456 plus about £60 tax (total £516) from London, I will be leaving from Manchester and can get an Emirates flight for a bit less. So no big deal there.

I did feel sorry for the "pool" people (I was told there were 100 in the pool) as I thought you got no further info, I do agree with other writers, that the staff (Scott, Linda, Briony, Brian), have been shafted themselves and felt terrible that they couldn't give definitive answers.

I am now in a blind panic and have got to organise sale of house, 3 cars, furniture etc, go to give notice in, speak to solicitors, etc etc etc, I hope work don't expect me to solve any crimes for the next few weeks!!

I do think that everyone else will be employed over the year, and as others have said, the process has been slowed because of the Aussie press kicking off.

When I get over there, I will put postings on, on a regular basis and let you all know what it is like,
Don't think I will be volunteering for a country posting, but at least we won't be stuck in the outback somewhere (yes that was me who asked that question).

In answer to a question about how the 60 were selected... I have no idea. I was one of 5 people from Merseyside (that I know of) I am a DC with 10 years in, aged 40. one other was an inspector with 17yrs, his wife who is a Sergeant, a DS with 15 years and another DC with 10 years, so your guess is as good as mine (maybe they are only taking the good looking ones !! ha ha)

Anyway, enough waffling, I am going for a chinese now, just spent 5 hours on the train and am knackered.

Phil.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Phil,

Did your colleagues get in? Or just the good looking DC!! Ans tell me..... you own 3 cars - obviously been paying you far too much!!??

Also I've been looking at my Oz map (about 6ft sq - stuck on wall behind me) and was trying to remember where they said the rural postings were, can anyone enlighten me!!?

Oh and HUGE MASSIVE congats on getting in

Ann
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rippo

Also I've been looking at my Oz map (about 6ft sq - stuck on wall behind me) and was trying to remember where they said the rural postings were, can anyone enlighten me!!?

Ann
Ann try this thread on the adelaidebrits site

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...showtopic=6397
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by primrose
Ann try this thread on the adelaidebrits site

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...showtopic=6397
Ahh they are trying to confuse me as it wasn't posted under SAPOL

Thank you very much!!

Ann
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:04 pm
Claguey

claguey is an unknown quantity at this point

Rippo.

No it was only me who got in. (I'm just soooooo handsome!)

The other postings were Murray Hills (southeast of Adelaide) Port Augusta and Whyalla. Port Augusta and Whyalla are cities on the coast, with Whyalla being the 2nd largest city in SA. Don't know anything about Murray Hills. Are you thinking of volunteering???

Phil.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:08 pm
bdh
Just Joined

bdh is an unknown quantity at this point

Ann

Got the med's with the kids on Tuesday. Would still have to pay if I cancelled them at such short notice so might as well have them done. What has happened with your med forms has DIMA held on to them in the 'pending' file?

By the way great to have met so many friendly faces yesterday. Had a great weekend in London.... stayed in Docklands and woke this morning to no hot water ... hotel refunded us the cost of the room for the night!!!

Bel
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Martyn & Michelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rippo
Hi Phil,

Did your colleagues get in? Or just the good looking DC!! Ans tell me..... you own 3 cars - obviously been paying you far too much!!??

Oh and HUGE MASSIVE congats on getting in

Ann
Hi Ann

I believe the Country/Rural Locations are Murrybridge & Port Agusta each being assigned three officers each, and also Whyalla will be assigned 3 officers, whether they be volunteers or "picked from the hat", all other officers will be posted to Adelaide City.

Martyn & Michelle
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

Hi all....

How are we all doing today?

We are feeling more positive then we were yesterday (which is good cos we were losing or marbles).

Sorry we missed you all at Walkabout, we walked around most of the Walkabouts in London but didn't go in the right one (bo****ks!!!!!)

Never mind though.

I agree with the postings that the recruitment team have had a hard time caused by polictical wrangling which was completely out of their control, when I spoke with them (and I made a point of speaking to them all) they all came across as extremely genuine and they all felt for the predicament that we are in.

When we had a chat with one of the team, we found out that the opposition leader who slagged off UK police had come under fierce criticism for his comments not only from other politicians but from the public, who are unhappy with the massive police shortages and who don't care where they come from.

Also the government that is in power now are having a few problems on the popularity front and the election is early next year, as such they are going to want to keep the public happy and if recruiting UK officers will help that then they are not going to turn down the opportunity!!!
(they also get to have a go at the opposition for not supporting the program)

All these things have got to help our cause

To those going in March Good luck, safe journey and keep in touch

To all those in the pool (like myself) chin up.

We only have 2 weeks of :scared: to go before we here if there are any more courses, that isn't too long, right?

Take care Lee
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:40 pm
Banned

mrsmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yingyang1
Is it worth a new thread or two, one for the experiences and advice from the march 60 to help us in the uk, or one for the pool members to exchange ongoing info about the process?

HI YingYang
I think a new thread or two would be a great idea. Mr Muppet is in the "March 60", and is leaving me behind to sort out the boring stuff, like house selling etc. We have been out and "invested" (his word!) in a laptop and couple of webcams so we can chat every day before the little muppettes trundle off to school. I can post regular insights etc, along with others, no doubt.
It will also mean that Im not vegging out in front of the telly every night - just in front of the pc!
Another thread might be a mutual support for family waiting to join them, with the odd virtual glass
**Note to moderators: can we have a wine icon just for us girlies please? **
Mrs Muppet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.