Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia?-Part 2

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia?-Part 2

Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Well done to those who got the phone calls (Claguey well done mate).
For the rest, it's just more waiting. I don't think we should get mad at them as they haven't said that there will not be jobs for us. It is just wait and see how the March lot do, and wait for the call. It's not as if they are ever going to meet their recruitment needs in SA, you just need to look at the newspaper reports on the internet!
We met the standard they set for us, lots of people in SA cannot, that is why they looked to the UK. We have passed all exams, etc, so look at this as a good sign, and as my missus always says (although it has started to piss me off!!) 'what will be will be'!!

See veryone tomorrow.

Neil
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:16 pm
servibabe

servibabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil549
Well done to those who got the phone calls (Claguey well done mate).
For the rest, it's just more waiting. I don't think we should get mad at them as they haven't said that there will not be jobs for us. It is just wait and see how the March lot do, and wait for the call. It's not as if they are ever going to meet their recruitment needs in SA, you just need to look at the newspaper reports on the internet!
We met the standard they set for us, lots of people in SA cannot, that is why they looked to the UK. We have passed all exams, etc, so look at this as a good sign, and as my missus always says (although it has started to piss me off!!) 'what will be will be'!!

See veryone tomorrow.

Neil
Neil what time are you getting there? I will be comming on my own so it would be great to see a face i recognise. Shame we didnt get it but 'what will be will be', just kidding. Let me know what time, and i can get there then
Coral
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

Hi all....

So much for optimism, I feel totally shit I and don't mind saying it!!!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Ah well now that is out of my system back to my normal calm self....

To all those selected for March good luck and well done see you tomorrow.

Guess I won't be waltzing with Matilda this year

I'm going to drink the six pack in my fridge and probably have a good go at the bottle of Jack Danials that's in there as well.

Cheers Lee

Last edited by zoe100; Feb 11th 2005 at 9:45 pm. Reason: Things said in temper and not meant
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

JM&D is an unknown quantity at this point

Kraka,

Do us all a favour......keep your extreme views to yourself. If you do turn up tomorrow, try to keep a lid on it to allow those of that are left a chance to fulfill a dream.
Before this process, none of us had the chance to even get near the required number of points to get to Oz.
Those of us that have not got onto the March crew are sitting on a piece of paper that allows us to continue the dream.......when spaces are available, we will be chosen.
Hand on heart, who would not have accepted this from the outset......SAPOL want you...they have just got to persuade the govt/powers that be that employing from the UK is still the best course of action.
If I was one of SAPOL recruiters and read Kraka's comment, would I go out of my way to assist him/her (and his colleagues). I thought not.

Do not spoil it for the rest of us.......
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Coral

We are aiming to get there for the start (1pm I think??!) but unfortunately can't stay for drinkies after as got to nip off for my brother's birthday dinner!!

Neil
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:56 pm
p&K
Just Joined

p&K is an unknown quantity at this point

well, just got home from lates........really impressed with the message. It's a shame they didnt send it before the phone call last week telling us to submit our visa application asap.

we have read these posts with interest, there seems to be two groups, the pool and those going in march.

Is there anyone out there who like us was given the letter of appointment at the end of the interview with march crossed out and "date to be confirmed" inserted.

we were told there would be a course in may and another in september, the september course being hopefully moved back to july.

we like most if not everyone have spent alot of money, nearly a thousand in the last week alone on medicals and the visa fee, put our house on the market and started to finalise our affairs.

now it appears the goal posts have moved again.

yes we too are committed to the dream of a new life down under, but you also need to be realistic. we are not just moving to the next force in the next county. we, as a group need information, genuine information. the reason many cant go in march is due to the time constraints and commitments. however it is no good telling us in april that there will be a course in may.

we were looking forward to the information day, now i wonder if it will be a waste of time as the majority will be wanting answers not posh government videos.

i wish everyone the best of luck, to those that go in march i hope you have a fantastic time.

seems that the politicians are happy to be treated by a nurse with an english accent but when they ring the police for help they dont want the police officer that turns up to have an english accent.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:24 am
Just Joined

kraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JM&D
Kraka,

Do us all a favour......keep your extreme views to yourself. If you do turn up tomorrow, try to keep a lid on it to allow those of that are left a chance to fulfill a dream.
Before this process, none of us had the chance to even get near the required number of points to get to Oz.
Those of us that have not got onto the March crew are sitting on a piece of paper that allows us to continue the dream.......when spaces are available, we will be chosen.
Hand on heart, who would not have accepted this from the outset......SAPOL want you...they have just got to persuade the govt/powers that be that employing from the UK is still the best course of action.
If I was one of SAPOL recruiters and read Kraka's comment, would I go out of my way to assist him/her (and his colleagues). I thought not.

Do not spoil it for the rest of us.......
Hi,

Don't worry. I'm angry - not stupid or selfish.

The later mail sums it up. We will be in the same position in April as now unless there is some commitment back. This is the first time i have ever been recruited for a job that doesn't exist. At my expense. At some point in the process the ground rules changed (the 300 business). There was no straight info. And I happily spent time and cash on incorrect info.

Good luck to all who are going in March. Yes - I'll keep the lid on it.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:35 am
Just Joined

peteg182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by p&K
well, just got home from lates........really impressed with the message. It's a shame they didnt send it before the phone call last week telling us to submit our visa application asap.

we have read these posts with interest, there seems to be two groups, the pool and those going in march.

Is there anyone out there who like us was given the letter of appointment at the end of the interview with march crossed out and "date to be confirmed" inserted.

we were told there would be a course in may and another in september, the september course being hopefully moved back to july.

we like most if not everyone have spent alot of money, nearly a thousand in the last week alone on medicals and the visa fee, put our house on the market and started to finalise our affairs.

now it appears the goal posts have moved again.

yes we too are committed to the dream of a new life down under, but you also need to be realistic. we are not just moving to the next force in the next county. we, as a group need information, genuine information. the reason many cant go in march is due to the time constraints and commitments. however it is no good telling us in april that there will be a course in may.

we were looking forward to the information day, now i wonder if it will be a waste of time as the majority will be wanting answers not posh government videos.

i wish everyone the best of luck, to those that go in march i hope you have a fantastic time.

seems that the politicians are happy to be treated by a nurse with an english accent but when they ring the police for help they dont want the police officer that turns up to have an english accent.
Some good points well made especially the analogy about the nursing industry.
Anyone seen the South Australian Liberal Party site in which the opposition police minister, Mr Brokenshire, bangs on about an Australian tri-athlete who was not fit enough for the South Australian police and was rejected in the local recruitment process. He also states there is not a shortage of local tallent with 800 South Australians applying for the South Australian police.
With this kind of publicity i can only see doom for the officers in the UK pool. If this kind of oppinion is reflected by the South Australian populous then i can see the Govt putting pressure on SAPOL to recruit locally, even if it means lowering their standards. This exercise may even have added to the number of locals who now want to join their local force.
Anyway i'm still going to the info day.....you never know.
Hopefully for those going to Aus they will not continue to be political pawns and be able to do the job as we in the UK know us brits can.

Pete
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by HCK
Hello there, my husband has applied to SA Police, and has been asked to sit the Entrance exam on 6th January. I also agree the timescale is unrealistic! however this is the chance we have been waiting for since we visited Perth two years ago. Let me know if you hear anything, good luck

let us know if you hear??

good luck!
[/QUOTE]

Has anyone actually sat the psychometric test yet?
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:34 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Ok guys here,s a local #1 talk back site , the presenter LEON BYNER, is so pro UK cop , as is most of STH AUST ,all the crap on the in papers is just news fodder, most people, here will welcome you with open arms. www.fiveaa.com.au mm
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:53 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peteg182
Some good points well made especially the analogy about the nursing industry.
Anyone seen the South Australian Liberal Party site in which the opposition police minister, Mr Brokenshire, bangs on about an Australian tri-athlete who was not fit enough for the South Australian police and was rejected in the local recruitment process. He also states there is not a shortage of local tallent with 800 South Australians applying for the South Australian police.
With this kind of publicity i can only see doom for the officers in the UK pool. If this kind of oppinion is reflected by the South Australian populous then i can see the Govt putting pressure on SAPOL to recruit locally, even if it means lowering their standards. This exercise may even have added to the number of locals who now want to join their local force.
Anyway i'm still going to the info day.....you never know.
Hopefully for those going to Aus they will not continue to be political pawns and be able to do the job as we in the UK know us brits can.

Pete
The drain is at senior level , to be honest this is such i nice place to live, if you "pull the pin " at say 60 and you just like to play golf or fish every day . or tow a caravan, and just have a great life, in the hundreds of parks that SA has to offer, you will love it.......... mm
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:40 pm
A&M
Forum Regular

A&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mr mover
Ok guys here,s a local #1 talk back site , the presenter LEON BYNER, is so pro UK cop , as is most of STH AUST ,all the crap on the in papers is just news fodder, most people, here will welcome you with open arms. www.fiveaa.com.au mm

Sentiments appreciated...gives us more hope
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

yingyang1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I realise that most of our 'resident' posters are on a night out in London, anyone else out there with a view after the SAPOL day. Personally I think Kraka is entitled to his/her opinion as it is a forum after all, an opportunity to sound off and gauge others feelings.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

gjc38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

It was useful today but I was very conscious, even though at the last minute we were told that my husband is in the March intake, that people who are in the pool travelled there - from varying distances - to get no further information than they had yesterday. That must have been so s**t. It's clear that the guys doing the presentations are equally stuck in the middle of this political wrangling as those in the pool and felt sorry for them to some degree as they were obviously uncomfortable - however 'the pool' have their lives hanging in limbo still and I DO know how that feels, it was me until p.m yesterday and it's ....hellish.

Also - why only information packs for 60 - okay - we were one of the recipients but I felt embarrassed to be so, we were lucky to be 'labelled by the white carrier but it felt like discrimination against those awaiting intake dates. Relative to the cost of the entire recruitment, hire of Lords etc. giving an information pack (even if it was slightly different) would have been minimal! I do think these packs have been issued to all - only a third of it was totally relevant to the March intake. Anyway - I'm not whinging - I consider myself SO lucky and genuinely wish everyone in the pool all the rest of the luck over the next couple of weeks but my sense of fairness has ben challenged today regardless of which side of the fence I sat.

Whinge away the rest of you - it is a forum, you're entitled to your opinion - good on Kraka for sitting on it when the time came - but, everyone, while it's useful to vent a bit - it's more useful as a forum for people to be supported by those in the same boat - THOSE WHO ARE IN THE MARCH INTAKE - we must keep contributing when we go, the information we get on the ground out there will be of so much value to those making life changing and stressful decisions back here.
Judes
x
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:42 pm
servibabe

servibabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
Thanks for the vote of confidence, its what we all need right now. Having been up to OZ House today for the open day I feel a little more confident that we will all eventually get our dream, and obviously having a radio station behind us will help.

listening to the views and concerns of others that have been told 'You are in the pool' makes it more real for me as I know H and I are not alone in our fears and anxieties, what to do next if anything at all. Its just more waiting, but a little more relaxed than last week as we could have been going in 4 weeks time.

for those of you who went to The Walk About Bar Covent Garden, as you can see i got home ok. I went to get a cab and they said it would be 2 hours minimum, can you believe that in a small village, well i decided to walk much against H's wishes, but i made the 30 minute walk along dark country roads and 2 grave yards, and i didnt fall over once, tread in any dog turd or see any ghosts, or have any cars stopping to try and pick me up thank God, but i was sure happy to put that key in the front door.

Keep smiling and stay focused and positive.

Speak to you all soon

Coral and H

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.