Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Ink8455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by aeb78
I had my interview last week and was told that i would know the result by last friday.
I'm still waiting!!
This is not whinging and moaning this is an opinion that i'm entitled to!
The top line of this response basically sums up SAPOL. What they say they're going to do and what they actually do are two different things!
Are there any people here that have been offered a march place in the last week?
If the March places aren't full why have they stopped handing contracts out?
Whay are people in australia telling applicants different things to the guys at australia house, as previously posted on this forum.

I'm not sure what force you work for, but in the two I've worked in we were constantly being mucked around with the left hand not knowing what the right was doing. I've always put it down to normal life in the police but my wife has the same experience in her civvy job.

I appreciate that things haven't gone as published, and those of us who know we passed, only do so by managing to get through to Scott on the phone. Answerphone messages and e mails aren't generally replied to,but he is busy.
A fact that doesn't help us when left in limbo.

The problem is do you want to blow this opportunity or look back in a few years and say "it was worth it"?

I hope it is worth all the effort.

Also, earlier you mentioned the posibility of being posted outside of Adelaide.

We have applied to join SAPOL not Adelaide police, and just like the UK they can post us anywhere and at anytime.

God only know's what their punishment postings are like.

Normally it was one end of the county to the other but that's a big distance overthere!!!!!!

Don't mean to be critical, because I was on Friday 28th and left in the lurch, but I don't think we're doing our cause any good by being too critical.

You never know who's reading this!!!!

Let's save it for the BBQ.

Good luck and hopefully see you soon at the Acadamy.

Last edited by Ink8455; Feb 9th 2005 at 8:22 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aeb78
I think it's got to be said, that SAPOL have panicked and have been desperate to find 60 recruits to commence the March course.
Due to pressure from the government and the senior officers.
I am under no doubt that they picked the first 60 that could go in March so that they could relax and prove that the recruitment drive has been a success.
No disrespect to the people who are going in March, because if i'd have had my interview early enough and i would have been offered a spot in March i would have taken it.
As for the people like Zoe 100 etc, do you really want to join an organisation that has messed people around so much and played the politics game??
No job in any country is worth the stress and misleading ups and downs that sapol are providing.
Just another thing to consider- if you were to be posted to one of the outer stations, such as port lincoln, you would be 4 hours away from Adelaide, in a very quite place.

As with other people here been taking deep breaths before replying.
Aeb78: don't ask zoe100 (or lee!) if he wants to join an organisation like SAPOL when they are messing people around, etc etc.
We are doing this for an opportunity of a life time of living in South Australia. Yes, I am very pissed off at getting mucked around, as is my other half who is in the pot, but for this great opportunity we are having to deal with it. If you are that annoyed with the way you are being treated then withdraw your application, that way everyone else has more of a chance.
I am not trying to offend you, or anyone else for that matter, but I wouldn't blame SAPOl for telling us all to sod off if they read all these posts.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Vicar is an unknown quantity at this point

Right then, pay attention class and we will discuss the finer points of taxable income and Medicare contributions!!

Having been told off by my beautiful wife for getting my sums wrong, I was tired, I have had another go.

I dont claim to have it exactly right and there are of course a lot of assumptions. Figures do not include shift allowance or contributions, either mandatory or voluntary, eg fed subs, benevolent funds etc.

Right here goes.

The current tax rates based on an annual wage of between $21,601 and $52,000 are an initial payment of $2652 then 30c for every $ over $21,600

Medicare is payable as well and for our purposes I have assumed that it is paid after tax and is not itself taxable, I may be wrong. The current rate is 1.5%, I assume this is PA as it does not say.

This means...

Intiatial salary of $35,000 means a take home wage of $2317 PCM after tax and Medicare.

Salary after 12 weeks of $40,641 means a take home wage of $2705.16 PCM after tax and Medicare.

It is impossible, based on available information to calculate what you will earn after shift allowance etc. Work on the above and anything else is a bonus.

You really shouldn't do it, as it isn't important, but for those who insist on converting it into pounds, this means £960.53 PCM and £1121.24 PCM respectively

WAKE UP AT THE BACK, honestly I am wasted as a cop!!!!

Mr Vicar

Last edited by Vicar; Feb 9th 2005 at 9:00 pm. Reason: incorrect info
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Vicar

That is most impressive, I was told by the SAPOL staff at Aust House that the shift allowance equates to an average $7000 on your wages every year.

I'm not good at math!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by neil549
As with other people here been taking deep breaths before replying.
Aeb78: don't ask zoe100 (or lee!) if he wants to join an organisation like SAPOL when they are messing people around, etc etc.

We are doing this for an opportunity of a life time of living in South Australia. Yes, I am very pissed off at getting mucked around, as is my other half who is in the pot, but for this great opportunity we are having to deal with it. If you are that annoyed with the way you are being treated then withdraw your application, that way everyone else has more of a chance.
I am not trying to offend you, or anyone else for that matter, but I wouldn't blame SAPOl for telling us all to sod off if they read all these posts.

hear bloody hear!!!

everyone knows on here that we have been given wildly different info, but i have no doubt that that is due to problematic decision making in oz, NOT by those SAPOL officers who have been sent out to london to shortlist, interview etc etc. they are probably just as stressed as we are, just in a different way.

we never thought this would be easy - we are talking about the other side of the world, not the next force area over! and yes, i hope (please god i hope) that this all works out for all of us on here that have been posting.

life is not gonna be a bed of roses out there - you cant run away from things here, we are trying to make a better life not construct an entirely new stress-free idealistic utopia. i wouldnt expect their police to be any better informed as to what they are doing than our police are. and if we all get out there, no matter when we start (fingers crossed we get to start), then i have no doubt at all that we will all look back on this experience and laugh as we crack open a beverage or two. we will all still have bills to pay, there is still crime in sa (obviously), we will all still have the odd row, there will be lots of homesickness..... etc etc etc... life goes on out there as normal, just hopefully with a few better opportunities to enjoy our days off and a bit of nice sunshine on our backs.

if we dont get to start then yes, it will be a complete pain
in the arse that we have had our hopes dashed in front of us, but i cant think about that too much right now.

am just trying to say that - yes, we would still apply even having gone through all that has gone on so far. i dont care if we have been 'mucked about' - its a bloody fantastic opportunity and we would be fools to turn any offers down at this stage. this could go on for a few weeks more and we would still grab an offer letter with a confirmed start date with both hands (both feet, teeth, etc) and i bet most others on here would too.

sorry if this offends anyone, it isnt meant to, but this emigration lark is not a walk in the park!!

zoe
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:07 pm
GMC1

aeb78 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry dad! i mean neil 549. I think that this forum is causing more harm than good with rumours etc etc.
So i don't think i'll bother reading your reply to this or any other message.
And then i wont have to ask neils permission before i type anything else.
Ha hA hA!
Perhaps i'm just stressed about the whole thing and saying things i don't mean.
Sorry if ive offended anyone apart from the above comments to neil.
Because i do have a right to my opinion.
It's been nice.Good luck to you all.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

Hi all.

Zoe has put her bit on so now it's my turn.......

We seem again to be turning on one another! .

THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO GO!

We have all worked hard to achieve this goal whether it be by dieting for the fat calliper thingy or running around like a blue arsed fly trying to get all the forms together for the application.

EVERYONE that got through deserves this opportunity as we have ALL proved ourselves in our respective forces (we are all seasoned police).

I know that it is crap that we are not getting any info and I know that we are all (except the first 60, good luck by the way) are in total limbo but SHIT HAPPENS. Everyone is trying to make a better life for themselves and who can criticise them for that????

I response to the question 'do I want to go to a force that messes us around' the answer is BLOODY RIGHT MATE. If I don't get it for what ever reason then I will not be happy but I will continue to do the job I love until we can figure out another way to get where I want to go!!(if I do get there I've got my eye on S.T.A.R. group cos it sounds just up my street).

I want my children brought up in the ozzie sunshine and that is it! (haven't got any at the mo)

To all those who got through on the first 60. I know that some of you have been avoiding this site because you have been feeling crappy for getting in. DO NOT FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO HIDE THAT YOU ARE HAPPY, EXCITED, CHUFFED TO BITS, or anything else cos even if no one else is me and Zoe are chuffed for you. I mean lets be honest when you get out there you will be our best source of intel with regards any future courses etc. so GOOD LUCK.

I am signing off now, if I have offended anyone then that is not my intention, we are all here to share views and feelings and I accept that, but lets not ostracise those who were fortunate enough to get in first time around.

Take care see you on Saturday.

Lee
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:12 pm
servibabe

servibabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zoe100
Hi all.

We have all worked hard to achieve this goal whether it be by dieting for the fat calliper thingy or running around like a blue arsed fly trying to get all the forms together for the application.

EVERYONE that got through deserves this opportunity as we have ALL proved ourselves in our respective forces (we are all seasoned police).

I know that it is crap that we are not getting any info and I know that we are all (except the first 60, good luck by the way) are in total limbo but SHIT HAPPENS. Everyone is trying to make a better life for themselves and who can criticise them for that????

I response to the question 'do I want to go to a force that messes us around' the answer is BLOODY RIGHT MATE. If I don't get it for what ever reason then I will not be happy but I will continue to do the job I love until we can figure out another way to get where I want to go!!(if I do get there I've got my eye on S.T.A.R. group cos it sounds just up my street).

I want my children brought up in the ozzie sunshine and that is it! (haven't got any at the mo)

To all those who got through on the first 60. I know that some of you have been avoiding this site because you have been feeling crappy for getting in. DO NOT FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE TO HIDE THAT YOU ARE HAPPY, EXCITED, CHUFFED TO BITS, or anything else cos even if no one else is me and Zoe are chuffed for you. I mean lets be honest when you get out there you will be our best source of intel with regards any future courses etc. so GOOD LUCK.

I am signing off now, if I have offended anyone then that is not my intention, we are all here to share views and feelings and I accept that, but lets not ostracise those who were fortunate enough to get in first time around.

Lee
hear hear. couldn't have put it better myself. I am having to email my best friend in Oz most days to let her know any info, she is on tender hooks as we are. When i left there in March 2003 i said to her we would be back for good within 2 years, and the dream has been dangling in front of us just out of reach for months now so all we can do is wait, but even if we dont get it this time or maybe never we should never feel any annymosity (glad that wasn't in the spelling test) towards them as we are all seeking that dream of a better life for our families and as said previously they could be of great help to us all in the future. we will be relying on them, so dont blame them, or anyone really, its just the way it is, and will always be in all walks of life surely we all know that as police officers.

We have 2 days to go before Saturday and I bet all of the interviewers are dreading this day, and im sure by the end of it they may well go off sick with stress, because i would really hate to be in their position.

Lets not be too hard on them, im sure they will tell us all they know.

Just to let you all know Scott has been off sick, and your guess is as good as mine, lets hope he is back for Saturday.

See you all there

Time for beddy byes now and catch up on some beauty sleep and believe me i need it. The other half is already in bed asleep as(he's even uglier) he is on earlies.

Coral and H
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:51 am
Just Joined

19saturn is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said Zoe, Neil and others, I Have been reading these threads for weeks now and have seen the frustrations appear daily. I was lucky enough to be one of the first 60 but have been reluctant to add anything because all my news has been good. I have had a visa application running for over a year and fully understand what you are all going through. I have been jumping through hoops for DIMIA for ages. Our home life has been on hold for what seems like forever. I was fortunate to have my 47ES accepted before Christamas so it was just a case of turning up on the day.

Its 0130 and I've just got back from a job in Brixton that our unit is working on for the next three weeks, who cares if we are posted 4 hours from Adelaide. I'll be glad to see the back of South London. As long as I can put my kids through decent schools and have a reasonable standard of living I'll be happy.

Your right, as the advance party we are going out blind. We can be a good source of info for those that follow (more WILL follow). I'll be more than willing to assist anyone that I can. I hope you all get the results you deserve and don't just look to Friday for the call, that's just for March. We have been received well in New Zealand and Canada I can't see why Oz will be any different.

I'm getting more stressed out about leaving the wife a whole world of crap to sort and not seeing the kids for months until the house is sold. Good news I've just sold two cars on ebay.

Off to bed and back to South London in the morning. Joy of Joys. Good luck to you all and hang in there.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zoe100
Hi all.

Lee
Thanks Lee, on that note - (I am not hiding, I am happy and PROUD)

I have say from reading all these threads -
We were in the first 60, we started our immigration process in 2002 and got our Visas with difficulty! As being Police scores “NIL�. We found a loop-hole with the help of our migration agent and were successful.

We have had a big stress since 2002, so for perfect timing with this SAPOL application, and to be lucky enough to get offered the SAPOL post last Friday in the March batch we were over the moon and saw it as ‘about time something went our way easily’ as believe me DIMIA have been very strict with us, and it has not come cheap.

I am so busy, so stressed, I have files for everything, papers everywhere companies ringing back every 5 minutes for things I have arranged. I am racing home at lunch times to let shipping companies do quotes, estate agents in the evenings, back and forth to the VET with the Dog for her jabs, We are paying out thousands in the process of it all. I can’t go until about May/June time but it doesn’t matter. Because I can tell you –
I AM SO BLOODY HAPPY!!!

Good Luck to the rest of you!!
Nancy
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning to all,

Just read Aeb whatever his name is reply. And yet again it summed up what I was trying to gently get across. That everytime he puts a post on, he is moaning about something!!!! (If you don't believe me look through his other posts!)
I think he sort of got the wrong end of the stick, but nevermind.
Nice to see a post from one of March peeps. I think as he mentioned, there will be more intakes, and these 60 will just be testing the water to how they are accepted.
Off to the gym now, so have a good day to those that are working!

Neil
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

wardy64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil549
Good morning to all,

Just read Aeb whatever his name is reply. And yet again it summed up what I was trying to gently get across. That everytime he puts a post on, he is moaning about something!!!! (If you don't believe me look through his other posts!)
I think he sort of got the wrong end of the stick, but nevermind.
Nice to see a post from one of March peeps. I think as he mentioned, there will be more intakes, and these 60 will just be testing the water to how they are accepted.
Off to the gym now, so have a good day to those that are working!

Neil

Hi all, been reading with interest everyones views, have been laying low in making any comments as i think i might be one of the 60!!

Can anyone tell me ( those who have there visa) if im going in March or not.

I was asked at interview if i could start in March ? Answer YES. My head in a total spin as i cant believe i have just been offered the job! I sign what i think was a contract as i wasnt reading what was in front of me.

As i said before i got a call from Scott last Friday to submit my visa application as the Govnt has approved me ! Im ex RAF so waiting on papers from them.

What i'm asking is, the fact my application wont reach the VISA people till next week, this wont be to my detriment :scared:

Like everyone else am still in limbo as i have not been told by anyone " Alan you will be on that plane and definately starting with us on the 21st of March.

Saturday night
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Rippo is an unknown quantity at this point

HELLO every one!

It was great meeting lots of you yesterday, and putting faces to "names". Sorry not to have met up with some of you who I converse with on here, we were trying to find you in that huge room - but there were so many people! Perhaps we all should have put our photos on our profile.

Back home now, lots to think about. I guess we will just have to wait until end of February and see what that brings.

Hopefully more answers and more course(s)

Ann