Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

After reading Codonas message I am also confused, is there any more info from SAPOL recruiting.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:14 am
Just Joined

codona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Hastie Family
Maybe just being slow but don't really understand what this is all about! Do you mean there will be two starting dates, the 21st March and then another? What is the extension to the 14th January actually for? Why would people need an extension at this point? Sorry for the questions, just not really grasping what the problem is!
Carolyn
No problems Carolyn, the extension is for officers to still apply if they satisfy both the SAPOL and imigration criteria. There is more than 1 start date.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

oh my god this forum is such a relief to read - i just thought it was me who thought that time scales are a bit tight! and we only have tow moggies and a house to finish off, no kids to worry over!

my boyfriend has the test friday morning - poor him, he is on nights thenight before too, so he'll be wrecked by 2pm!

so, to clarify.. theres more than one start date?? we were in perth when the advert appeared on sapol website, and we phoned adelaide to ask about the march start, they said you would hav to start in march, and if any family couldnt follow at that point they had 6 months to join you, to allow for house sales etc. have they now changed their minds? who in their right minds would be able to start in march if you only find out in february?

and the 39 day thing for police searches.. how do you apply for them????? and even if they take 40 days to come thu, youre talking about it being late february if you send them off now! how will everything all come together in time to be there un jet lagged and ready to work on 21st march??????

im really worked up now.. HELP US!!
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

galenco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HCK
Has anyone looked into what will happen to their police pension if they emigrate to OZ, is it just a case of freezing it until you are 65? Many thanks HCK
You can transfer your Police pension to another pension scheme in the UK, however the only reply I have had from AUS schemes ( QSuper, Queensland) was that I could not use the money to buy into thier scheme.
This will mean that I will recieve a small pension from the UK when I am 55 and whatever I accrue in AUS from starting date until age 55 ( I think).
The AUS scheme are based on Officers paying 6% ( instead of 11% in the UK) and the Government paying a minium of 11% extra ( Queensland Police pay 18% extra) so this means a monthly pension contribution of 24%, which aint bad.
The money is however invested in a selection of schemes and you get to choose what hey are, it may end up a bit like the endowments in the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=
and the 39 day thing for police searches.. how do you apply for them????? and even if they take 40 days to come thu, youre talking about it being late february if you send them off now! how will everything all come together in time to be there un jet lagged and ready to work on 21st march??????

im really worked up now.. HELP US!![/QUOTE]

Phone you local Police HQ and get them to send you forms for the Police checks, you then need to send them off. We got ours back in about 3 weeks.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

The Hastie Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zoe100
oh my god this forum is such a relief to read - i just thought it was me who thought that time scales are a bit tight! and we only have tow moggies and a house to finish off, no kids to worry over!

my boyfriend has the test friday morning - poor him, he is on nights thenight before too, so he'll be wrecked by 2pm!

so, to clarify.. theres more than one start date?? we were in perth when the advert appeared on sapol website, and we phoned adelaide to ask about the march start, they said you would hav to start in march, and if any family couldnt follow at that point they had 6 months to join you, to allow for house sales etc. have they now changed their minds? who in their right minds would be able to start in march if you only find out in february?

Hi there, think we should start up a 'partners support group' for all us nervous partners!! From what Codona said there will be another start date. The information from SAPOL said that 'future courses would be announced'. In my opinion (not that it's worth anything!) I think that SAPOL will want to interview everyone at one time to save them money on staff coming to the UK, they will take whoever is ready to go in March and then announce another entry date for those accepted but unable to go at that time. We are in the lucky postition of having sold our house as we are in the process of applying for a Skilled Independent Visa. We were planning to go this year anyway (autumn at the latest) so if my hubby does get accepted it would be fantastic. Maybe a bit of a panic but we have to be out of our house by mid March anyway. If he doesn't get in then nothing lost - except the cost of flying to London!! The hardest part for me is not knowing. You don't want to get too excited about Adelaide and do lots of research because it might not happen. The other thing that worries me is that he will be accepted but posted to the middle of nowhere! Wonder when they would tell you?! Anyway keep in touch and let us know how things go,
Best of luck
Carolyn
Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:02 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

HCK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Zoe100 It.s quite comforting to read your thoughts, my husband is doing the entrance exam tomorrow afternoon, so I empathise with how you feel!! We also visited Perth two years ago as my brother and his family have lived there for the last twelve years.

We got our police search forms of local police internet site, so I am hoping to get them completed tonight. I hope I'll need them!! Good luck keep in touch Helen
Old Jan 5th 2005, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the reply. we would actually prefer to go to perth/wa, but they are dragging their heels making a decision - thinking that maybe they are going to wait and see how sa's recruit goes before they decide and finalise their plans.

would be gutted if we turned down (being optimistic here, as i said lee is on nights and finishes his shift here - s.wales - then will have to get back on the m4 - he is on traffic so prob been on m4 all night anyway - and will prob leave his car in reading and get the train into london so by lunchtime his eyelids will be shutting!) sapol and then tried for wapol (again being optimistic) at some point in the future and failed! i can apply for a sir visa to sa, but will mean lee cant apply to the police til we became perm residents which takes 2-3 years. and can you imagine a policeman who loves his job not being able to be a policeman?? nightmare, would be really hard for him and i doubt he would settle as a result.
do you knwo how to get police character thingies?
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by HCK
Hi Zoe100 It.s quite comforting to read your thoughts, my husband is doing the entrance exam tomorrow afternoon, so I empathise with how you feel!! We also visited Perth two years ago as my brother and his family have lived there for the last twelve years.

We got our police search forms of local police internet site, so I am hoping to get them completed tonight. I hope I'll need them!! Good luck keep in touch Helen

by the way, where are your family living in perth? my folks moved out on a retirement visa last may - they are in kallaroo. gorgeous part of the world, love it love it love it.

good luck for your bloke tomorrow - let me know? xx
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:36 am
HCK
Forum Regular

by the way, where are your family living in perth? my folks moved out on a retirement visa last may - they are in kallaroo. gorgeous part of the world, love it love it love it.

good luck for your bloke tomorrow - let me know? xx
Hi Zoe100
We downloaded the police check forms from our local police Headquarters. Quick and easy form to fill in for a change!! My brother and his family live in Mullaloo Perth, lovely part close to beach and all local amenities and not far into Perth. Good luck!!
Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:36 am
Don't ask.....

Renters is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone help me. I need a fitness ECG but the cheapest so far is £280. Anyone in the met (5 area preferably) has had one done for any less (lot less would be nice...)

Kevin Smith
Old Jan 6th 2005, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Renters
Can anyone help me. I need a fitness ECG but the cheapest so far is £280. Anyone in the met (5 area preferably) has had one done for any less (lot less would be nice...)

Kevin Smith
Why do you need an ECG?.
We had our medicals for Perm Res and only needed the medical and a chest x ray.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HCK
Hi Zoe100
We downloaded the police check forms from our local police Headquarters. Quick and easy form to fill in for a change!! My brother and his family live in Mullaloo Perth, lovely part close to beach and all local amenities and not far into Perth. Good luck!!

hiya hck - how did your policeman get on today with his exam? mine just off for his last nightshift tonight, then the test tomorrow so he wont be home for 24 hours!

i spent a long while as a child in mullaloo, in natica place just opposite the primary school and park there (mullaloo primary i think, not mullaloo heights primary), loved it, big pool and walk to the beach happy days.

oh well, better go help his lordship sort his clothing.. x
Old Jan 6th 2005, 5:31 pm
Don't ask.....

Renters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by galenco
Why do you need an ECG?.
We had our medicals for Perm Res and only needed the medical and a chest x ray.
This is a requirement for SAPOL, not immigration, because I'm an old git. They don't want me dropping dead on the fitness test

Kevin
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:46 am
HCK
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

hiya hck - how did your policeman get on today with his exam? mine just off for his last nightshift tonight, then the test tomorrow so he wont be home for 24 hours!

i spent a long while as a child in mullaloo, in natica place just opposite the primary school and park there (mullaloo primary i think, not mullaloo heights primary), loved it, big pool and walk to the beach happy days.

oh well, better go help his lordship sort his clothing.. x
Hiya
Well he thought it was harder than he expected and so did most officers he managed to speak to, we now have to wait about 10 days for the result!!!!

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.